Hammock
    DIY - Depends on time of year.
    Tarp
    DIY 10x12 cat cut
    Insulation
    Down/Synthetic
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    Think you're crazy? When I made my first sil score at Wally-World the other week, I was so excited to finally find sil that I yellled out "Score!" and started doing a happy dance right there in the fabric department. Everyone looked at me like I had a third arm growing out of forehead.
    And!

I too have said some rather embarassing things after a "score"... I just look at my wife and say something like "you can lock me back up now"
    ------- AKA "4D's" ----------------
    "Oh yeah, to keep it on topic. I sewed on my hammock today"

"A night above ground makes the next days ride even more enjoyable"

"As for his secret to staying married: "My wife tells me that if I ever decide to leave, she is coming with me." -- Jon BonJovi

Happy Wife = Happy Life" -- author unknown

Ok I just went to the local fabric store. They had the "flag material" when I called it that. When I asked for SilNylon, they looked at me "like I had an arm growing out of my forehead." Anyway, I found it but was unable to tell what the weight was. I went ahead and purchased some anyway. Is there an easy way to find out? It was NOWHERE on the board it was wrapped around at the store. I can see the squares in the fabric, so please, somebody tell me how to tell what I bought? Thanks!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Here is a thread where I asked the same question.
    Trust nobody!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwalker View Post
    I'm missing something. A square yard is 36" x 36" or 3' x 3'. 36 x 36 = 1296. 3 x3 = 9, and a square foot is 144", so 9x144=1296, the same thing.

I guess what I'm saying is "where do you get the 216?"

Let's say that I have 3 running yards of cloth, 60 inches wide. (3*36) x 60 = 6480. 6480 / 1296 = 5 square yards. Weigh the cloth and divide by 5 to get the ounces per square yard.

A shorter version: Ounces per Square Yard = Weight / ((Length x Width) / 1296)).

Folks make fun of math, but if you can get X to one side of the equation and everything else on the other side, you can move the earth. Forget Archimedes, Newton is where it's at! (Geek joke, and not very funny to boot.)

Anyway, I'm sure that the 216 would make sense if I weren't really tired, so go ahead and give me that Homer Simpson moment, why don't ya! :}

OK, so I have weighed it. It weighs 373 grams. I have 4 yards. SO I did the math (4*36)*60 = 8640. 8640/1296~6.67 sq yards. At 373 grams that is 55.92 grams per square yard. At appox. 28.35 grams per ounce comes to 1.97 ounces per square yard. Assuming I've done my math right, I would say I found 1.9 rip stop for $4.49 per yard.

Like I saud, this was Hancock Fabrics. The roll had NOTHING concerning weight on it. They had about 15 different colors and by simply feeling it, I could not tell a difference in any of them. I am making a hammock, but also want to make a quilt or pea pod.So I really want 1.1 for that. Anyway, thanks for all th ehelp so far!!!

bump this thread

Images
    I just went to Walmart to pick up some supplies for work and couldn't help but stop by the fabric department. What do you know? There was a bolt of olive 1.1oz DWR. I asked the lady if she knew what it was and she said she thought it was nylon ripstop. She measured the fabric and it came out to 12.5 yds and for some reason she only charged me $11.

I have checked the dollar bin at this and other Walmarts many times without finding anything and started to believe the $1/yd Walmart ripstop was an urban legend spread by some mean-spirited posters getting a kick out of making innocent DIYers run to Walmarts all across the U.S. But now I know that you can actually find ripstop at Walmart (or I am part of the conspiracy, you never know).

Quote Originally Posted by Schneiderlein View Post
    I just went to Walmart to pick up some supplies for work and couldn't help but stop by the fabric department. What do you know? There was a bolt of olive 1.1oz DWR. I asked the lady if she knew what it was and she said she thought it was nylon ripstop. She measured the fabric and it came out to 12.5 yds and for some reason she only charged me $11.

I have checked the dollar bin at this and other Walmarts many times without finding anything and started to believe the $1/yd Walmart ripstop was an urban legend spread by some mean-spirited posters getting a kick out of making innocent DIYers run to Walmarts all across the U.S. But now I know that you can actually find ripstop at Walmart (or I am part of the conspiracy, you never know).
    Great buy!!! Makes me want to run out to Wally World right now!!!

Quote Originally Posted by john30563 View Post
    OK, so I have weighed it. It weighs 373 grams. I have 4 yards. SO I did the math (4*36)*60 = 8640. 8640/1296~6.67 sq yards. At 373 grams that is 55.92 grams per square yard. At appox. 28.35 grams per ounce comes to 1.97 ounces per square yard. Assuming I've done my math right, I would say I found 1.9 rip stop for $4.49 per yard.

Like I saud, this was Hancock Fabrics. The roll had NOTHING concerning weight on it. They had about 15 different colors and by simply feeling it, I could not tell a difference in any of them. I am making a hammock, but also want to make a quilt or pea pod.So I really want 1.1 for that. Anyway, thanks for all th ehelp so far!!!
    Anybody care to check my math and make positive I am thinking right here before my 230 pound a$$ hits the ground in this hammock? Because this stuff seems AWFULLY light to hold somebody. But I am a newbie of course.
    Last edited by john30563; 01-09-2008 at 21:52.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Anybody care to check my math and make positive I am thinking right here before my 230 pound a$$ hits the ground in this hammock? Because this stuff seems AWFULLY light to hold somebody. But I am a newbie of course.
    checked the math. You're good.

Grizz

Images
    I'm a newbie, also, so take this with a grain of salt. I've made a hammock out of 1.9oz/yd ripstop, and it has held me, my 3 1/2 year old daughter and my 11 month old daughter fine, with a combined weight of ~220 lb or so.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast