DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 6'x8' Sil
    Insulation
    CCF Pad
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies

Fabrics Other Than Ripstop @ Joann's

I was shopping at a local Joann's the other day and encountered several rolls of nylon fabric that was not the stuff found in their 'utility fabric section'. It wasn't the heavy 'sport' nylon, or ripstop. For the life of me, I cannot remember the precise label they used, but it was 100% nylon, and labeled something similar to "Memory Jacketing Material". This could be way off, but Jacketing was definitely one of the terms.

What is this stuff, exactly? It seems to me to just be a lighter weight, more pliable nylon, maybe intended for garments? I haven't had any luck with Google so far. The prices on it were still rather high, $6/yard, but I did pick up a couple yards just to tinker with.

I also stumbled on some 'weather resistant' fabric that was polyurethane backed polyester. It had a thin, very flexible rubber layer on the back of it. It seems like this stuff might be a challenge to waterproof at the seams, but the biggest reason I didn't buy the whole roll at $4/yd was I was suspicious as to how well it would stand up to UV. Something in the back of my head was telling me that polyurethane layer was going to get brittle when exposed to sunlight. Anybody able to comment on this stuff as a tarp or ground cloth material?

-Smalls

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by smalls View Post
    What is this stuff, exactly? It seems to me to just be a lighter weight, more pliable nylon, maybe intended for garments? I haven't had any luck with Google so far. The prices on it were still rather high, $6/yard, but I did pick up a couple yards just to tinker with.
    Labels from the Big Box stores are not always very helpful. It sounds to me like it might be a nylon lining material. Without more information I can't be sure but that would be my guess. If so it is used to provide a slick, lightweight lining to out door garments so sleeves and such slip on quickly over layers. It also provides some structure detailing to the garment and can prevent expensive fabrics (evolve, gore-tex etc. from abrading on the inside where it is most vulnerable to that kind of damage. Strength is definitely not it's selling point. But it would be very lightweight.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    TrekLight Double /DIY HH/DIY WBBB
    Tarp
    GuideGear 12'x12'
    Insulation
    JCP DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling 7/64
    Quote Originally Posted by smalls View Post
    I was shopping at a local Joann's the other day and encountered several rolls of nylon fabric that was not the stuff found in their 'utility fabric section'. It wasn't the heavy 'sport' nylon, or ripstop. For the life of me, I cannot remember the precise label they used, but it was 100% nylon, and labeled something similar to "Memory Jacketing Material". This could be way off, but Jacketing was definitely one of the terms.

I also stumbled on some 'weather resistant' fabric that was polyurethane backed polyester. It had a thin, very flexible rubber layer on the back of it. It seems like this stuff might be a challenge to waterproof at the seams, but the biggest reason I didn't buy the whole roll at $4/yd was I was suspicious as to how well it would stand up to UV. Something in the back of my head was telling me that polyurethane layer was going to get brittle when exposed to sunlight. Anybody able to comment on this stuff as a tarp or ground cloth material?

-Smalls
    Joanne's has ripstop and it shows that name on the label... they also sell sport nylon as well. As noted on this forum, the ripstop there is typically 1.9oz. From a cost savings, material feel and usage - I would highly highly recommend BWOO Backwoods. By far their nylon feels great, and is priced very well. I just ordered 12 yards from them, and now feel that I am going to use my Joanne's fabric just for bishop bags, and footboxes, shelves, etc. (and it cost more at joanne's awith 40% off coupon)

Hammock
    Double layer DIY
    Tarp
    11 x 10 Sil DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Quote Originally Posted by samjaynes View Post
    BWOO
    BWOO
    I have two doctors, my left leg and my right. ~G.M. Trevelyan