Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

New member hello/hammock question

Hello all. I am new to these forums. I have been a member of Whiteblaze for sometime now but this is my 1st post to this site so I apologize if I am ignorant to the hammock hanging ways. Between work and the Army Reserve I don't get to hike as much as I would like but have always used a Henry Shires Tarptent(Cloudburst 2) when out on the trail. The tent has served me well so I don't have any complaints there. I recently purchased an ENO Doublenest at REI's garage sale for 20 dollars so I figured for that price I couldn't pass it up. I am looking to educate myself on the hammock fundamentals but from what I have browsed so far there is alot more to it than just tying it between 2 trees. So any info/links would be greatly appreciated. I also welcome any opinions on the hammock I purchased. Thanks in advance for having me and look forward to meeting some of you on the trail.

Hammock
    ENO/tablecloth
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    yeti,peapod(1st v
    Suspension
    whoopies treestrap
    you will like the eno dbl..... welcome to the dark side!!!!
    now for the rest, well, you will need a bug net during bug season, you can achive this by either sewing velcro or omni tape to the hammock or making a bugnet sock. there is lots of info for diy here...so have fun and welcome!!!
    also u will need a tarp to protect from rain
    Peanuts

"A womans place is on the trail"

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Welcome to HF! ENO has a lot of fans - it's apparently a good hammock if you don't need a bug net.

First of all, hammock hanging is not hard. It's a new skill set to learn...much like you had to learn the skills of ground camping, but that was so long ago that it just comes naturally to most folks now. So look at hammocking as learning one skill at a time and you'll reduce any frustration.

Second, the fundamentals are just like ground camping. You need bottom insulation, top insulation and rain protection. It's just that hammocking gives a few more options for bottom insulation and you'll use a tarp instead of a tent.
    - Bottom insulation - pad or underquilt
    - Top insulation - sleeping bag or quilt
    - Rain protection - tarp

Once you get your insulation system down, the biggest difference is site selection. Obviously you don't need a level site free of rocks and roots anymore, but you do need two sturdy supports to hang from. Realize that you can put 700lbs or so of force on the support, so be careful if you use fenceposts, hang inside shelters, etc. Trees should be ~6" in diameter, and you should be careful to avoid damaging them (use webbing, tree huggers, or some ropes that flatten out when loaded). Minimum distance between trees is basically your tarp's ridgeline, but having a couple of feet extra usually makes a more comfortable hang.

And learning how to lay. Everybody is different so you just have to find what works for you. Most folks like ENO style hammocks to hang with quite a bit of sag. You can add a structural ridgeline to set the sag. (See here for details with pics.) Once you have the right amount of sag, you lay in it diagonally. Your feet go to one side of center and your head goes to the other side. That lets you lay almost flat so you're not banana shaped.

Just a few things to get you started. Seriously - it's not as complicated as we make it look...we just like to overexamine everything. If you have any problems, just ask here - someone has probably already experienced it and you'll get several ways to deal with it.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by g8trh8tr View Post
    Hello all. I am new to these forums.......I recently purchased an ENO Doublenest.......
    Welcome aboard, g8trh8tr, glad to have you with us. On a personal note, nice to see a Charlottean on here, I grew up in Charlotte, lived there until moving to Kentucky 11 years ago. I still come back frequently to see family and friends. Congrats on the ENO purchase, I use an ENO DoubleNest myself and like it a lot. There is definitely a learning curve to hammocking, especially when it comes to staying warm in cold weather. Don't worry, if you have questions, just ask. Someone will be happy to answer and/or offer advice. This is a great group of folks here and we're always happy to add to our ranks.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Welcome to the forums.

One of the first mods you should make to your hammock, IMHO, is to add a structural ridge line so that your hammock will lay the same each time you set up and it will also make setting up quicker. Here are some links to help:

http://tothewoods.net/HomemadeHammock4.html
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ight=ridgeline
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ructural+ridge
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ructural+ridge
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ght=ridge+line
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Welcome to the hanging gang.... Read the hammock forum archives on WB then search for Enos posts on this site.... Study JJ site also.... then ask any specific questions you may still have or need clarification on.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    looks like they have set you up w/ enough good, basic info to get you off to a good start.
    i'm in the winston-salem area & there are a few others not to far away, so if you like, one or more of us could probably meet up w/ you sometime.
    welcome to HF. ...tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    one other comment for anyone new to hammockforums.

Sooner or later you are going to learn of a particular tarp that is referred to by refernce to the nick name of a regular on here. I won't mention the name, but it rhymes with "Neo Tarp".

Due to the extemely high quality reviews of this tarp, you are going to become convinced that that you must have one. Although you will be able to find this mythical tarp listed for sale at the website of a reputable camping supply retailer, you will not be able to purchase one because they are out of stock and don't expect to ever have any more of them ever again.

The particular user after whom this mythical but perfect tarp is named happens to be the only person in the world to own one. Or maybe he owns all the ones were ever made, I don't know, I just know I can't buy one even though I want one.

In any event, you'll also learn that the rest of us have learned to make do with a varitity of second class tarps that some have taken to calling "non-neo tarps".
    Last edited by nogods; 01-05-2008 at 21:19.

Images
    Welcome aboard. You are going to enjoy hanging a lot more than ground sleeping. After 35 years of backpacking I learned about hammocking just a few months ago. The people on this site helped me go from 0 to 60 with hammock knowledge in just a few months.

And not only do you learn from the vets around here, but you'll find that you can exchange experimentation with other people new to hammock hanging without someone jumping in and disrupting your learning experiments with judgmental snide comments.

ask a question and you'll get several responses from the most experienced to the least experienced of users. Make a suggestion and you'll get a good a discussion of pros and cons from everyone

Soon you'll agree with the rest of us that the hanging here is second only to hanging between two trees.

Thanks for all of the informed responses and warm welcome...I have read most of the links in detail regarding ridge lines and hanging techniques. I have a couple of detailed questions after reading the info:

1. I read not to use 550 cord for a ridgeline due to stretching. Can someone provide a few other options?

2. I can't sew and don't have anyone near by me that I can count on to sew. Having said that, Is there a hanging/strap system I can by that doesn't stretch/slip but doesn't have to be aftermarket sewn? ( I can make alterations that don't involve sewing)

3. Does anyone have the ENO bugnet that can comment on its quality/effectiveness?

Hooch..Thx for the Charlotte welcome...Been here for 10 years and 5 years in Fayettnam...Spent 4 years in Ky also at Ft Campbell but haven't been in Lexington....

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast