Thumbs up HH Spreader Bars/Struts

Taking a que from Hogn8r I set about making a pair of "spreader Bars/Struts to hang under the same tarp with my son(5). I liked the idea but wanted something that I felt would be a little more secure. I'm not sure that I totally achieved it but it is a work in progess and needs to be further tested. Here's what I did. Photo's to follow...

I made two 20'' wooded bars (made from an old hoe.) That's the garden variety hoe. I drilled a 7/16 hole in each end(1'' in) and used a step drill to widen the mouth of the hole if you will. I then took some fine grit sandpaper and smoothed the outside and inside of the hole to reduce friction and wear and tear of the rope(a big concern) given that my son jumps around like a jack rabbit!

I set it up by running each hammock cord through one of the holes on each end. I put my son in one hammock and I in the other and it seems to work perfectly and he seems to really like having me hanging right next to him.

I hung my hammock a little higher than his,and with sag, we are practically even.

We haven't done an all nighter yet, but I think it will work? Will take some pics tomorrow....
    Hammock hanging and fly fishing;it just doesn't get any better!

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Glad I could be an inspiration!

Here's a thought: While you are experimenting with this I thought of something this weekend.

I wonder if we use a longer spreader bar/strut on just one end (head end) and then tie the other end (foot end) to the tree if this would work?

I just figured while you were out experimenting and all you could try it .
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    Hey Rasputen,

What was the outcome? I know some say that with a spreader bar there is a lot of movement for hammock A when the person in hammock B moves or exits the hammock. My son and I did a double hang under one tarp this past weekend but we were lucky enough to have separate support structures (a tree and the swingset gave us four places to attach the two hammocks).
    JayS

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I usually just tie the feet to the same tree...there's enough separation at the head end that our feet were never a problem. And he has to get in first if we use the spreader bar method...otherwise, his hammock ends up right on top of me and I have to help him up. It's much easier for me to pull him down when I get in.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    OES 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB Mt.Washington4
    Suspension
    Whoopie/UCR
    I'm glad this thread got revived, because I was thinking the other day about the problem of occupant A dropping when occupant B gets out to C about the P. ..

If you weighted or secured both ends of the spreader bar down (tie to rock,root. etc) that may limit how far each side could drop by not allowing the opposite side to rise above you. Am I way off????

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mbwtt View Post
    I'm glad this thread got revived, because I was thinking the other day about the problem of occupant A dropping when occupant B gets out to C about the P. ..

If you weighted or secured both ends of the spreader bar down (tie to rock,root. etc) that may limit how far each side could drop by not allowing the opposite side to rise above you. Am I way off????
    Yes, tying the ends will work but, the spreader bar must be quite strong and the tie-off point must be quite strong too. I snapped my spreader bars when I tried this.

Hammock
    Custom dragon
    Tarp
    Custom made cuben
    Insulation
    custom peapod
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    how about moving the spreader bar all the way up against the tree it would limit the rotational motion and make sure you still have two independent suspension systems. also trying to hang as far to the opposite side of the tree from each other as possible helps with giving some initial room.

• + New Posts