DIY Hennessey Clone
    Tarp
    Camo Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Thermorest Pad
    Suspension
    Dutch clips

Dog Hammock?

I just finished my first hammock and while Arwen, my dog, can sleep in it with me - I bet it will get annoying real quick. I would like to keep her off the ground though, away from the ants and ticks.

I mocked up a tiny 30 inch wide by 6 foot long hammock for her to try, it kept tipping her out.

I also tried a quick 60 inch wide by 6 foot long and put her in it, this was more stable but I am afraid she may tip it if she stood up in it. (all tests were done very close to the ground). Since dogs lay different than humans their center of gravity seems to be higher which I think may be causing the problem.

So I am wondering what makes a hammock more 'stable' against flipping the user out? Is it the width of the fabric? The 'depth' of the hammock when set up? Could side tie outs make it stable? I plan on using a foam mat under her, would this make it stable?

These are just some thoughts I am having and was wondering if any experts had any insight? I love DIY projects so this is fun for me.
    As you grow older, you'll find the only things you regret are the things you didn't do. ~Ernest Hemmingway

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Cheapo HF camo
    Insulation
    SA down throw UQ
    Suspension
    HF straps w/ rings
    What about an open-ended bridge? She could hop in the end by herself. If you used something heavier than ripstop, her nails might not even tear it up.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Tie-outs to minimize motion are almost essential IMO. Spreader bar(s) would help maintain hammock shape, but a ccf pad in a pocket might accomplish the same thing. A built-in pad lets you use it on the ground, too. It's a good idea to let her get used to it as her bed on the ground first, then train her to be comfortable in it when it's suspended. Dogs like to lie at right angles to the line between the trees. They also like to get up and turn around occasionally (and need headroom to do so). Design accordingly.

How big will Arwen get? Design accordingly.

Hammock
    DIY Hennessey Clone
    Tarp
    Camo Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Thermorest Pad
    Suspension
    Dutch clips
    She is 4 years old at 38lbs - I hope thats as big as she is going to get

The open ended bridge is a good idea. I'll look into that type of hammock some more.

Thanks for the ideas, lots to think about. She does seem to enjoy the hammock so even if we don't end up taking it camping I may put it in the back yard for her to lounge in during the summer. It would get her off the ground and get a breeze on her belly! I never let her outside alone so she won't get tangled up in it accidentally and get hurt. One of the members of my dog training club lost a dog because she got tangled in a cloth tunnel in the backyard while no one was watching her - so sad.
    As you grow older, you'll find the only things you regret are the things you didn't do. ~Ernest Hemmingway

Hammock
    DIY Hennessey Clone
    Tarp
    Camo Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Thermorest Pad
    Suspension
    Dutch clips
    Just found GrizzlyAdams post about bridge hammocks - I love this place!

• + New Posts