Tarp
    11x12' Hex Sil
    Insulation
    Various UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing or Etrunks
    Images

Any reviews of Toxaway?

I like the idea of a tarp that isnt overbuilt to save weight. The Toxaway seems like exactly what I am looking for. I have done both Google and Forum search for any user reviews/ pictures of the Toxaway tarp. So here is my shameless request for someone with better google-fu than I to help me out, or for a Toxaway owner to give their honest opinion.

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    well here's my deductive, no-experience view...

it's a larger-sized (winterish) tarp for a UL backpacker type. The weight is good for the coverage at 14oz. It's sil so it will compress small and the price is under $100. it's really the same price and cost of warbonnet's bigmambajamba but with more coverage. it is lighter and cheaper than OES's 10x12 (which is a pretty close match to the toxaway). pretty good benchmarks to be up against...

the owner of the company is a stand up guy from what i gather on the forums and would likely entertain a phone call from you to talk with you about it. i'm certain he stands behind his product (or hangs under it )

lastly, if you get no experienced feedback, then you have a task set before you. it is to buy the tarp and use it a lot, through all kinds of conditions, and then post a review...

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway:UGQ WD
    Insulation
    UGQ,KAQ,Tewa
    Suspension
    strap/buckles
    Images
    I own one and I like it alot. The rolled edges seem to be strong and the tie out loops are bartacked with small d-rings.All the stitching looked good. Nice and tight. It has real good coverage. This is my first sil tarp, so the weight for size ratio surprised me over what I had been carrying ( Hennessey hex tarp). Came with a stuff sack. Packs down small. Used it at the first annual Fla. hang. Hasn't seen rain yet. It was a dry weekend (but cold for Fla. 28 degrees). I added shock cord to the tie outs to take up slack that everyone talks about when sil stretches. Will try to insert photo and you can see my setup if I am successful. Paul is great to work with. I own several products AHE makes which is why I got the tarp.I would say you could not go wrong by purchasing one. I would think you would like it. One thing I do miss was the HH hex tarp has corner pockets to tuck the guylines into. I always found it easier to pack when you can tuck the guys in.the pockets.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY Table Cloth/ Jerry 5
    Tarp
    11x12' Hex Sil
    Insulation
    Various UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing or Etrunks
    Images
    @Richtorfla: Is that your Explorer of you BB under there?

@General HF Peeps: I think this style of tarp will fit my needs well. I honestly just don't see much about it around these forums. Most that are vocal about their tarps are OES and WB owners. I am inquiring about this tarp in particular because of its seeming lack of information on HF. Arrowhead Equipment has a large following here on the forums and I guess I figured there would be more info. Search turned up nothing in regards to actual reviews so I figured probing the waters would be beneficial to the community as a whole.

That being said, I honestly think this tarp will fit my needs well and it is for sure on my list of things to try out. The only problem is financing. I seem to have expensive taste when it comes to hammock equipment (could be my desire to only buy once) so UQ's, TQ's, and Tarps all need to wait their turn.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Straps w/Cinch bkl
    Images
    I don't own a Toxaway, but I do own a Shangri La, and the quality is very nice. I also own one of Paul's New River quilts, very good quality products.
    "I will study and get ready, and perhaps my chance will come." - Abraham Lincoln

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway:UGQ WD
    Insulation
    UGQ,KAQ,Tewa
    Suspension
    strap/buckles
    Images
    @Richtorfla: Is that your Explorer of you BB under there?

Hey Packeagle! No it is my Blackbird wrapped with an AHE quilt. This tarp would work very nice with the Explorer. It covers the ends of the hammock very well. Being 12' long on the ridge, it will work with just about any hammock. The trees I was hanging on was just a little over 12' so it was kinda tight but was able to get it hung tight. We had some gusty winds that weekend and it held up to those as well. Pull the plug and get one while he has them on sale! You won't be dissapointed. Hope the pics I posted help in your decision. Good luck!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Te-Wa Freeze
    Suspension
    Dynaglide slings
    Quote Originally Posted by packeagle View Post
    @General HF Peeps: I think this style of tarp will fit my needs well. I honestly just don't see much about it around these forums. Most that are vocal about their tarps are OES and WB owners. I am inquiring about this tarp in particular because of its seeming lack of information on HF. Arrowhead Equipment has a large following here on the forums and I guess I figured there would be more info. Search turned up nothing in regards to actual reviews so I figured probing the waters would be beneficial to the community as a whole.
    They haven't been an option at AHE very long... That said, I have an AHE tarp and I think it is a well made item that will serve me well. I wouldn't hesitate in buying it in fact I am thinking about another one in brown.
    "I'm a connoisseur of BACON." - Anyways - 6/9/13

• + New Posts