WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I'm thinking with your mad sewing skillz, you probably sew a lot faster than I do. It took me almost 7 hours total to sew my first DIY hammock last week.
    But you DID it! Gotta start somewhere! I'm sure HC4U can help give you pointers if you get stuck...

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    But you DID it! Gotta start somewhere! I'm sure HC4U can help give you pointers if you get stuck...
    I did complete the project, and it ain't pretty, but it works. HC has graciously offered his assistance more than one. I'm glad to live close to him and count him as a friend. One of the nicest guys I know. I'm going to get off this computer, temp's supposed to be almost 70 today and I'm off! Think I'll day hike at RRG today!
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Hands down. No argument there.

- Mark Twain
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    It took me almost 7 hours total to sew my first DIY hammock last week.
    I feel ya! My first tarp was the stuff of legend. My neighbor said he knew when I was working on it because it sounded like a 'domestic disturbance' coming thru the windows. It really does get easier. Although, I seemed to have the birdnest making skill out yesterday. The sage advice I got from the 3 year old watching me...: "just don't do that anymore". Simple enough.
    Trust nobody!

The only complaint I have with my Ray-Way quilt is that it's bulky. It takes up alot of room in my pack as opposed to my JRB quilt. But considering the price difference, it's a great quilt.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I agree, it is a little bulky but I'm coming to terms with that. At the time I made this quilt, the price difference was the clincher...

I've not made a down quilt yet, so I can't compare ease of manufacture between synthetic vs. down yet. But I'm working on that.

- Mark Twain
    - John Burroughs

I've also got a Ray-Way quilt with the alpine upgrade and I love it. I've used it in my HH super shelter in sub freezing temps and had to shed clothing to avoid being too warm. The lowest I've been out with it was on one 14* night (on the ground under a tarp). I was wearing some fleece pants with capilene long underwear and a single capilene long sleeve shirt. That night pushed the limits of what this quilt can do w/ a minimum of clothing, I think. But I stayed warm the whole night. I highly recommend it.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    The sage advice I got from the 3 year old watching me...: "just don't do that anymore". Simple enough.
    Yeah, I haven't done any sewing with Short Stuff at home with me yet. I usually have a few choice words for my sewing machine, which, deep down I think are actually aimed at my sewing skill or lack thereof. I think it best that I do any and all sewing alone for now so others don't have to listen to my tyrade of 4 letter words.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    Black Cat
    Insulation
    Exped 7
    Suspension
    straps
    Images
    I made a RayWay quilt as my second (well third really) project. My first two were black bishop cat tarps. I also got the alpine upgrade and have taken this quilt down to the low 20's. I really like the draft stoppers because you can cross your arms, reach out and grab the draft stoppers and really pull it in tight around you.

It is a little bulky, but it fits in the bottom compartment of my Aether 70 with a little bit of persuasion.

My pictures are in the gallery. I picked bronze and black as my colors.

I really like this quilt. I think it was relatively easy to make and it really keeps me warm. I've got to make another one for my son.

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...&searchid=2660

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tango61 View Post
    I made a RayWay quilt as my second (well third really) project. My first two were black bishop cat tarps. I also got the alpine upgrade and have taken this quilt down to the low 20's. I really like the draft stoppers because you can cross your arms, reach out and grab the draft stoppers and really pull it in tight around you.

It is a little bulky, but it fits in the bottom compartment of my Aether 70 with a little bit of persuasion.

My pictures are in the gallery. I picked bronze and black as my colors.

I really like this quilt. I think it was relatively easy to make and it really keeps me warm. I've got to make another one for my son.

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...&searchid=2660
    Tango, good job on that and your Gray Ghost tarp. Both look like projects well done.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast