Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thumbs up Clark NX-250 on the way..!!

Just wondering if there is any advice you guys would like to give me on this particular hammock. I have been reading all the threads I can and soaking up all the knowledge others have learned ahead me.."Thanks you guys/gals are awsome." The only concern I have at the moment is when colder weather hits I have a 0 deg Marmot Couloir bag, but i'm already considering a under quilt. Can't wait to give this thing a try, I am very excited!!! I would like to think whoever came up with the idea of a hammock forum, it has already educated me more on hammock camping than I could have learned alone over many seasons..

On a side note, I have read about UQ's on all the hammocks but I really need to use the Pockets under the Clark for storing my gear. How are folks using UQ's and still storing gear?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    I don't own a clark, but if I had one, I think I would lean way in the direction of pads plus the gear pockets for insulation. I, too am curious how underquilts work with the Clark.

Hammock
    NX-150 TX-150
    Tarp
    Vertex-Camo
    Insulation
    Z-Liner & DIY Pads
    Suspension
    Clark
    An underquilt would be a good thing . . . Mind you, I don't have one.

I do have an NX150/Z-Liner/DIY pocket pads . . .

Marmot, Trestles -3°F / -19°C Sleeping Bag

I was tooooo very hot at -13C with this set up,
    and hoping to try to at least -20C this year.
    I will if given the chance go higher up the mountain for colder . . .
    but need the time

Your bag is down I see so compaired to my synth, it may not do as well . . . Sorry . . .
    But you could be sweaty hot on top and freezing cold under . . .
    As it is so far.
    Bradley SaintJohn
    Flat Bottom Canoe
    Start A Biz

The Transition from Ground Sleeping to Hammocks
    is the Conversion from Agony To Ecstasy,
    and Curing Ground-In-somnia.

"Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show you great and mighty things . . ." Jeremiah 33:3
    ΙΧΘΥΣ

I suppose having an under quilt below the pockets and still having gear in the pockets would not work? You would want the quilt right against your back right? I noticed someone on here had made small quilts that fit inside the pockets, forgive me for not knowing his screen name im on my droid. Anyway it looked to be an ingenous idea, and would work well with gear in the pockets.

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    Aggie:
    I have a NX200 CJH, 250 was not offered when I got mine, and I use a Arrowhead KAQ New River UQ when I am hanging. This is a wonderful UQ for this hammock and I have been into the mid to upper 20's F with no issues. I usually will put a book and/or some spare clothing in the pockets that I may want at night but nothing very heavy as this will cause the UQ to sag away from the hammock body, as you guessed. I think HF member RAW was the one who had the "pillows" made for the pockets. Looked into the KAQ UQ's from AHE and if you have any questions send me a PM. Good luck and welcome to the CJH family...............
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

Welcome to the NX-250 club!

I have tried filling the pockets with spare clothing, but the times I tried I just didn't have sufficient loft to fill the pockets and suffered from the cold. It was then that I ordered a 3-season 3/4 UQ from Stormcrow (was Crowsnest, now is called Phoenix). Slept warm and toasty through October with it.

I believe that having the UQ snugged tightly against the hammock underbody is critical for a warm sleep. If you were to store boots, trousers, shirts etc in the pockets the UQ would be pushed away from your back, resulting in cold spots. Of course, I have not subjected myself to that situation! Me like being warm.

I have made Reflectix pads to fit the pockets for extra warmth, but have not tried them as yet. Maybe next weekend.....

Jim

Well Jim, I look fwd to seeing how your new pads workout. I will probably be putting lots of my gear inside the pockets at night and during the day when im away from camp. I archery hunt often so lots of hunting gear gets carried along with me. I also get cold very easy. Thanks for all the replys and suggestions, The pads inside the pockets would probably be my best option and maybe a small pad for my feet.

Hammock
    diy fiddle factor
    Tarp
    diy cat cut hex
    Insulation
    whatever
    Suspension
    openable whoopies
    Images
    i have slept down to -18 degf in my clark na useing only the stuffed pockets for underinsulation.on one side of the hammock i put my spare cloths,(all wool in the winter)as well as my outer layers.on the other side i fill the pockets with a down vest,and some down coats i got from good will and pulled apart at the seams to make smaller parts and pieces.
    i have slept many times down to 10degf with just the pockets filled with my spare cloths.
    last year i spent a 7degf night insulateing with mostly dry leaves,i had filled my stuff sacks, and some one gallon ziplocks with them.then put all that in the pockets.i have also used cattail fluff,and marsh grass to good effect to augment my insulation in the pockets.do not count on doing this though cause it may rain.
    however if you are going backpacking it is hard to bring enough stuff,besides down,to fill those pockets.winter camping with a sled is doable however.
    i also button my coat around the foot end

full pocket loft
    Last edited by lonetracker; 02-07-2011 at 22:28.
    diyin to hang

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

Lonetracker did it right.

The times I tried using stuffed pockets I just didn't have enough fluffy stuff to fill them. Consequently, the items just slid to the center of the hammock and left my shoulders un-insulated and chilly.

Jim

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast