DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Toxaway
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, Jarbidge
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by XTrekker View Post
    True but I think Rev still has a point here..Back then they didn't have all these wonderful detailed guides. These same guides that keeps us newcomers from making the same mistakes they did as they learned how to make their gear...It took me quite a few hammocks before I was able to iron out the wrinkles of my DIY project. And if it weren't for previous threads on what to do and what not to do, I would have made many more mistakes. In a way, we are all just standing on the shoulders of our DIY predecessors.
    +1 on that.

Formerly octothorpesarus mudsocks's Avatar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by XTrekker View Post
    True but I think Rev still has a point here..Back then they didn't have all these wonderful detailed guides. These same guides that keeps us newcomers from making the same mistakes they did as they learned how to make their gear...It took me quite a few hammocks before I was able to iron out the wrinkles of my DIY project. And if it weren't for previous threads on what to do and what not to do, I would have made many more mistakes. In a way, we are all just standing on the shoulders of our DIY predecessors.
    That's not how I read the original post and I can say I would not have been so successful in my DIY projects were it not for the knowledge obtained from the HF community.
    Last edited by mudsocks; 08-20-2013 at 09:34. Reason: spelling!

Hammock
    Superior Gear
    Tarp
    Superior Gear
    Insulation
    Down
    I think the ability to save actual money doing diy depends on your skills and how ambitious your project is and how picky you are about your finished product. I agree that time has a cost. What that is also depends on the individual. For some the cost is that it takes away from family time. For others that same diy project is the source of quality time with family and or friends. Unless you have to miss work to finish a diy project because you leave on a camping trip tomorrow (which is poor planning) I don't agree that time spent on diy has a monetary cost. If it did then I would have to give up my rubik's cube. I'm not real fast at solving it so at my current speed it would cost me $1.12 +or- a few cents every time I pick it up. I never thought of it that way. My $10 rubik's cube has cost me hundreds if not thousands of dollars. Same with my bicycle commute to work. Just doing rough estimates on time and the expenses of driving vs riding the time factor at my current wages means I am basically breaking even or worse.

I do understand the original intent of this thread and I think times and resources have changed enough that maybe the op should request this thread be locked and start a new discussion on the costs of diy to the new diyer or something like that. Shoot I owe my courage to even try diy to Ramblinrev and his series of youtube videos on sewing Er making gear Er thread injecting.
    Pete.
    The opinions expressed by this user are not those of a competent individual. If they were that would mean I know what I am talking about.

Hammock
    DIY DBL 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 1.1 Sil
    Insulation
    DIY PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I think as has been mentioned previously in the thread, one of the biggest draws to the DIY setup for me is that I actually get to/know how to make all my own gear.

When I can go hang, and know that (nearly) every single piece of gear I am using was made by me, that's just kind of cool.

Now, certainly, many a guide and youtube video has helped me along the way, I certainly did not "engineer" all my own gear. But I understand each piece, it's purpose, and why I am using it over something else.

I think probably ended up spending more on DIY materials than I would have if I had just purchased a setup for my wife and I outright, but I have lots of spare material for smaller things, and the know how to hook friends up if I can convince them hanging is the way to go.

I also liked being able to the wider array of fabric colors in DIY. My double layer 1.1 is a bright orange on one side, and green on the other. My tarps in progress are the same color of orange.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RePete View Post
    I do understand the original intent of this thread and I think times and resources have changed enough that maybe the op should request this thread be locked and start a new discussion on the costs of diy to the new diyer or something like that.
    Eh... I don't know that the thread is worth the effort of locking it. I was amazed it resurfaced. As far as starting a new thread... I've pretty much said anything I need to say on the matter. Yeah... the DIY world in this forum has become a very different beast than when this was first posted. The wide eyed pipe dreamers seem to have either matured to real advocates or let the pipe dream waft away on the wind.

It used to be we could count the dedicated DIY folks without taking off our shoes. Now we need several barefoot friends and that's a good thing. It used to be my video series was it. As poor video quality as it is. Now I almost feel like it has become obsolete. And that's not a bad thing. It used to be there were no dedicated cottage vendors for supplies. Now there are several. Replete with patterns and instruction cards and expert advice. We have sewing mechanics who are encouraging people to do their own maintenance and providing support and directions on how to do it. Things have really changed. For whatever part I played in the evolution I am glad. It's been a real ride. There's a place here for all of us. The DIY folks and the commercial product buyers. And that's a good thing.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY Insulated 3.5 season
    Insulation
    Boreal Beast UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and rings .
    Sometimes I think the making of the gear is more fun then the useing .
    Happiness is a direction , not a place .

Cold weather gear is so darn expensive that it was necessary for me to buy the stuff under my wifes radar . ( she retaliates with new kitchens etc )

Cold weather setup to zero degree F . Under $100

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    I'd have to say I really appreciate the knowledge handed down from the graduates of the DIY School of Hard Knocks. I have made two hammocks, the first I sold to my camping buddy for the cost of my materials, so no real loss there. If I counted all the money I spent over time, I might have bought a low- end commercial rig for the same or less, but I have had fun and have gained knowledge that has let me repair my family's clothes & stuffed animals with my $12 thread injector.

I have not had the time to dedicate to a real extreme DIY addiction with two small kids and a wife that works some evenings & weekends, or the cost outlay might have been much worse!

A big thanks to Ramblinrev for his videos and to Scott at DIYGearSupply for the plans and materials!

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    Eh... I don't know that the thread is worth the effort of locking it. I was amazed it resurfaced. As far as starting a new thread... I've pretty much said anything I need to say on the matter. Yeah... the DIY world in this forum has become a very different beast than when this was first posted. The wide eyed pipe dreamers seem to have either matured to real advocates or let the pipe dream waft away on the wind.

It used to be we could count the dedicated DIY folks without taking off our shoes. Now we need several barefoot friends and that's a good thing. It used to be my video series was it. As poor video quality as it is. Now I almost feel like it has become obsolete. And that's not a bad thing. It used to be there were no dedicated cottage vendors for supplies. Now there are several. Replete with patterns and instruction cards and expert advice. We have sewing mechanics who are encouraging people to do their own maintenance and providing support and directions on how to do it. Things have really changed. For whatever part I played in the evolution I am glad. It's been a real ride. There's a place here for all of us. The DIY folks and the commercial product buyers. And that's a good thing.

Yeah this thread has a few years behind it. Think it might have been better to have started a new discussion vs resurrecting and challenging views based on a DIY community during its inception.

Sorry to drift from the subject matter a bit but, Rev people like you have been the foundation to many people's(including myself) DIY skills and knowledge structure. Not only did you help pave the way for us to even partake in this DIY endeavor, you stood by and answered our questions that came up during our DIY projects and even saved some of us from making really bad and costly decisions; kept me from wasting my money on a poor quality sewing machine. Just want you to know that I(we) really do appreciate you and all you have done for this community.

Back to topic...lol...

• + New Posts
  • Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789