1.1 DL vs 1.9 SL

Debating these two setups. I like the idea of the 1.1 DL because I'd like to play around with inserting padding in between layers. Best I can tell the weight difference will only be an ounce or two, so it comes down to performance. I've never been in a double layer, so looking for advice on:

Strength: 1.1 DL should be stronger, right?
    Durability: 1.9 SL is probably tougher, right?
    Stretch: Not sure - any insight?
    Stitching: 1.1 DL should hold under stress at stitching lines, right?

Anything else I'm missing? 6'3", 240 and looking at making an 11' long almost 6' wide hammock.

Thanks!

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    If you are doing a DL you might as well go with the 1.1 in my opinion. I have used 2.3oz ripstop and its thicker and more heavy duty. It also won't breathe as well. This might be a good thing if you want to prevent heat loss through the bottom of the hammock. I think it would breathe enough to prevent condensation.

In sum.

1.1oz if you want the DL
    1.9oz if you want a single layer.

I doubt either will stretch much. The 1.1 should also hold fine. On the end where you create the channel I would just double stitch but the rolling / tying of the end will prevent any stress on the seam.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Having had both a SL and a DL, I'd have to say I like both. IMHO 1.1 fabic has a nicer feel than the heavier stuff, so I like my 1.1. I made my DL out of the really wide camo stuff from DIYGearsupply. My SL 1.1 is his olive green 2nds. I like the feel of the green better, but the camo is mega-wide and comfortable.

DL's are more mosquito-proof. If you don't use a pad, then maybe SL is the way to go.

I'm 210lbs, and have successfully used a SL 1.1. 1.9 will be just fine. Stretch should be slightly less in a DL 1.1, in theory...

Best of luck! Pics of what you decide to do!

Oh: Here's what I made:
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Thanks for the input! I think I'm going with the DL 1.1. I have a bunch of hammocks and they're all SL, so it's as much for experimenting as anything. Going loooong and wiiiiide. I'll definitely put up some pics!

Only real question I'm still fighting with is how to sew up the end channels. I'm thinking of folding a few inches on the ends over on themselves 2X and then sewing away. That would be 3 layers sewn together at the critical seam. Seem reasonable?

• + New Posts