Thread: Aucilla WMA

Hammock
    my DIY hammock
    Tarp
    my DIY tarp

Aucilla WMA

Had a great trip in spite of a cantankerous truck and some rain. This is a gorgeous area. There were sink holes all along the trail and a river that would flow through many of these sink holes.

Got to see plenty of wildlife, including a deer that tried to run up the embankment and tripped and rolled all the way back to the bottom.

I'll put up some picks later tonight and more details.

Hammock
    my DIY hammock
    Tarp
    my DIY tarp
    Okay, so it took me awhile to get back here and finish my trip report.

I drove over Friday after work through some serious rainstorms hoping to beat the rain there and get camp set up before it rolled in; however, my truck decided to get some moisture in the distributor cap and not want to run. So Friday night ended with a stay in a motel.

Saturday brought with it a once again drivable truck so I headed out and arrived at the campsite. The GF and I hiked the south end of the trail and it was absolutely gorgeous. Didn't really see anyone else or any wildlife but had a great time. Turned in to make dinner before more rain showed up.

Sunday was a beautifully pleasant and sunny day. We hiked the north end of the trail and it was equally as beautiful. Stopped along the way and set up the hammock and relaxed and ate some snacks before heading back and packing up. While we had stopped, we spooked a deer that ended up tumbling back down the hill but was unscathed . Never seen a clumsy deer before, but seeing it brough a mixture of hilarity and concern for it.

On the way back we stopped at a sink hole just off the dirt road and saw a three to four foot alligator. Then saw a Sow and her piglets trying to cross the road. If you look carefully in the picture with the dirt road you can see her running back into the brush.

As always, a weekend in the woods can't be beaten by much. It was a great trip and we already have plans to go back and would recommend it to anyone.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Nice trip!

That's REAL Florida. I love that area.

I fish the aucilla river a few times a year though I am usually from Nutall Rise to the ocean. It is a very neat part of Florida. Much the same as it was 100s of years ago.

• + New Posts