Tarp
    Chinook Camo.
    Insulation
    E.C.W.S Military
    Suspension
    Bioshock

Looking for a Pacific Northwest --------

Underquilt.
    I'm looking for a good underquilt that will stand up to wet/ cold pacific northwest weather. Down would be great but i'm worried about it getting wet as even when its dry here its still wet. On sunny days we get liquid sunshine, so i think a sinthetic would work better here. It also gets very cold at night so it would need to be good to at least 30 F
    Anyone got a good manufacturer to go to. Also would be nice if it did'nt cost me a small fortune. Thanks everyone.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    your best bet would be to get a KAQ from Paul over at AHE
    it's a synth so you won't need to worry about getting it wet...and they start at $130 and up...thats the cheapest your going to find ... most Down UQ are around $200 and even a used one is not much cheaper then that

there really is no "cheap" Uq out there ...
    unless you make one yourself ..but even after you add in the time it takes you it still costing you about the same as one from a vendor

if you don't have the money for an UQ you can always use pads till you save up for one
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I have a KAQ lost river. I'm a really cold sleeper and have hit upper-30's (one COLD night in Julian mountains) without issue.

He also offers a IX upgrade, that would definitely extend the temp range by a few degrees.

If you're looking for a full-length quilt, I hear good things about the New River...

BTW: Very well made, superior customer service.

Best of luck,

John
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.0dbl
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben w/door
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    The Force
    If you want synthetic talk to Paul. I'm in Washington, use down and haven't had any problems. I also use a tarp. I don't see what the problem would be with using down but maybe I'm missing something.
    Bat
    Beginning my NOBO trip on the AT on 2/28/12.

I too live in and hike on the wet side of Washington. I have learned the hard way that not having to worry about synthetic insulation is a MYTH!!
    If you get you synthetic insulation wet you will be cold. The advantage to synthetic is if you get it wet it will dry out faster. The problem with that statement is it does not state how fast is faster. Here's my experience.....all night with body heat. Yep your going to be cold and miserable all night if you let you insulation wet.

The simple solution is not let it get in the first place. Use a dry bag for your insulation. You can get one made out of silnylon, they weigh next to nothing.
    Adequate tarp coverage. For example some thing at least the size of the Warbonnet Super fly. I have camped out in pineapple expresses, where it rained 10+ inches in 24 hours at my camp site and did not get my down wet.

Completely agree with Hulk on this. Down works fine even on the wet side. I'm happy as can be with my Te-Wa down UQ. Anything wet is going to be miserable - down or synthetic.

Hammock
    Warbonnets!
    Tarp
    OES, WB
    Insulation
    Crowsnest, Leighs
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckles
    I'm in Oregon and use nothing but down. A Driducks poncho as an undercover covers up my UQ and adds a few degrees. If you decide to go with synthetics, I agree with everyone else. Paul at Arrowhead is the man. But hey, he's making down UQ's now too!
    It's only an addiction if you're trying to quit

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by optimator View Post
    If you decide to go with synthetics, I agree with everyone else. Paul at Arrowhead is the man. But hey, he's making down UQ's now too!
    And I am in the NW I know the conditions we have up here, and how they can change just being a couple hundred miles to one side of a range or the other.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    My own $25 DIY Hammock.
    Tarp
    Chinook Camo.
    Insulation
    E.C.W.S Military
    Suspension
    Bioshock
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    And I am in the NW I know the conditions we have up here, and how they can change just being a couple hundred miles to one side of a range or the other.
    Very cool. I was looking at the "New River" and was wondering what is it stuffed with? I really like that design. I really dig the idea of a full length quilt to keep me toasty warm when it gets cold and wet. I do believe i will purchase one as soon as i can put together the funds. So what would you go with if given the choice MR. pgibson? Synthetic or down?

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    We use Climashield for the Synthetic line. It is the best of the Synthetics on a lot of regards.

Personally I use both But I have easy access to any quilt I want for which ever trip I am taking at the time. Synthetic, down, partial lenght, full lenght. So I don't know if I count. We just put the down line on the market about a month ago, but we have been experimenting on it for over a year to get things the way I wanted. Of this past years trips about 50/50 use of each insulation for me.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast