Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Images
    you could cut the line of the hh past 8" or so(i know jeff's point was to keep it stock) you could attach the rings to this short 8" piece, then you can tie the remaining line (or replacement) permanently to one tree strap loop so you have one long strap/line suspension piece. put a biner in the free end of the tree strap and thread the rings with the free end of the line. this enables the rings to be under the tarp, you can use a single strand of line and eliminates the the worry of a short tree strap, and since there's a biner on the end, you just unclip from the tree and leave the line in the rings. still all one piece. this is the exact method most people use with ring/cinch buckles. it does require you cut the line though, which you might not want to do until you were sure you liked the garda hitch. it would be easy to try jeffs way to see if you like the garda, that way if you don't, you still have the stock susp.
    Last edited by warbonnetguy; 11-17-2008 at 20:54.

http://www.rei.com/product/471123
    http://www.rei.com/product/764094

There are other ways to do it. Jeff's method is really for those hesitant to cut the stock suspension line. What you could do is to cut that line and tie the rings directly to that and then make new straps that run from the tree down to the hammock. You'd just need a loop in one end. Hook the biner in that, go around the tree once or twice and back through the biner and then down to the rings. Tie the garda hitch and finish off with a half hitch for safety.

WBG beat me to it....

Hammock
    Darien UL 11'
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber Hex
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    This is what I am thinking now, which I can do without cutting the stock cord:

I can attach two rings to a biner with a short piece of cord, then use the hammock cord to make the Garda hitch in the rings. To set up I would wrap the tree hugger around the tree, thread one end through the opposite loop to snug the tree hugger against the tree, clip the biner onto the hanging loop and tighten the Garda hitch.

In the event I have to hang from a tree too large for the tree hugger to go completely around, I could simply undo the Garda hitch and run the hammock cord through the two loops and tie the standard Hennessy lashing.

Both of these choices would keep the biner away from the tree and remove any chance of it damaging the tree.

When I look at the choices of cord on the REI site it rates them all in kN. What rating would I need for the cord tying the rings to the biner?
    ~
    "Home is where I hang my food bag."

Monkeywrench
    Allen Freeman
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com
    blog.allenf.com

Hammock
    WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    I've gone back to a simple set up. Eliminate the rings and if you want to eliminate the carabiner. Just use a slipped buntline knot hitched directly through your tree hugger loops or carabiner. Does require retying a knot for adjustment. But the knot is quick and easy to tie. No more effort than a Garda hitch to tie. With the rings (44gm total weight) and CampNano (46gm total weight) the suspension package had gained a few ounces. Choice either for the slick quick adjustablity of the Garda hitch on rings or a save few ounces.

I went back to a non Garda hitch due to some concern regarding flattening of and the slippery nature of the suspension line on the Blackbird. AmSteel blue. Not sure if this flattening is of any importance regarding long term structural integrity of the line.
    Noel V.

Images
    afreeman, that will work well too.

koaloah, don't think the flattening of the line is really bad for it, it will not stay that way permanently in my experience. the buntline is pretty darn fast, good point about being able to tie it directly to a webbing loop too, i've not used it that way yet.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH w/ 2Q 3-zipper mod
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    JRB MW3, HR on top
    Suspension
    WhoOpiesling!
    Images

Thumbs up

Glad to see the Garda Hitch getting some press! Works well with stock HH suspension lines in any number of configurations. Simple, easy. I'm a fan!

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Bump - just updated the page with a couple other methods.
    http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearHHGarda.html

affreeman - sorry I didn't see your questions when you posted them but it looks like they were answered. One note, though - the prussik adaptor slides up and down the spectra, so the line doesn't have to be doubled up for its entire length. If the tree are really far apart, just slide the prussik closer to the end...this should take a lot less cord than using the Figure-8 lash so you'll still be ahead of the stock system. But the stock system is still intact so you're no worse off than when you started.

Same deal for the clove hitch system that's on the page now.

One strength I like about these systems is that I don't remove any pieces during setup or teardown. It's all one piece...no threading, no looping, etc - just one click of the biner on each end, then pull to adjust. Of course, the cost for this convenience is weight.

And there are obviously other ways to do it...your cord method is one. I'd use a double larkshead on the rings to keep them stable rather than just tying them on, though. And then if you want to cut the spectra, it gets even lighter.

My first post in 2009...Happy New Year!!
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    •SLD••
    Tarp
    ●SLD●

garda setup

my first post too---HNY---about that garda setup....what i'm trying is even simplier--camp biner ,loose smc rings on small end,strap loop on bigger end---then i can use HH cord stock, or speer strap stock with same strap and biner ...

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I saw a pic of someone doing that once. Does it work well? No slippage? Do you have pics?
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    •SLD••
    Tarp
    ●SLD●
    maybe have pics in a few days---waiting for the descending rings to show up--have a few nanos around since they came out--real nice little biner, and the small end looks like it will pressure the rin gs together under tension....if not, then plan B is just clamp the rings together w/a little spec. cord on the inside...big thing is i can hitch w/strap or cord and not alter stock hammock in case i need the length...sounds like it will work anyway.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast