View Poll Results: How long until I touch the ground?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Onet hour, catastrophic failure

1 6.25%
  • 2 hours, sagging

5 31.25%
  • Wake up and am touching

6 37.50%
  • Never, the fools choice

4 25.00%

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

How long until I hit the ground?

Time to place your bets. I have my homemade test hammock setup outside for the first time. It is $1 bin ripstop whipped Warbonnet style. My first sewing project. I tried it out indoors last night and the suspension pulled through the whipping twice before I managed to get it tied securely. I had a lot of stretching.

I am tied between two hopefully solid trees about 16 inches (1.6 deciinches for you metic people). All suspension is nylon until I get around to ordering some poly webbing. How long until I hit the ground?

New information, heavy winds and rain in the forecast.
    Last edited by Chriffer; 01-08-2008 at 22:16. Reason: New weather report

Quote Originally Posted by Chriffer View Post
    New information, heavy winds and rain in the forecast.

Yeeeehaaw: Let the good times roll! Or "blow" in this case..

One thing is for sure. She'll be ready for the first back country trip..

I like your determination!! Not too sure about that 16 inches?? hehe
    Hammock hanging and fly fishing;it just doesn't get any better!

The trees are too close to the maximum distance I can span, but in wifi range! With how low I wanted thew tarp for bad weather, I ended up with the hammock at chest height almost pulling up on the tarp. I managed to get myself in it and it got a whole lot lower. I'm not all that heavy either. I have a blue CCF under me so no fancy quilt will get ruined or anything.

Images
    I had to vote one hour because the other two votes were so optimistic. Every yin needs a yang and all that. Really though, you might stretch to the ground, but I doubt it. If you aren't real heavy, and your whipping is good then you'll just be a few inches lower in the morning cause of the nylon webbing.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I took my first fall about 2 months into the DIY thing. It won't happen on your first one because you were probably overly concerned about everything. It happens when you get cocky and do dumb stuff, like me.

So, if you're a person of reasonable intelligence AND posses common sense; you may never fall. If, on the other hand, you are like me and sometimes lack the common sense part; just hang low.
    Trust nobody!

And the winner is wake up touching. When I leaned up so I could reach down and check where I was at, I felt myself touch the ground. I went back to sleep and could feel myself touching the ground off and on. The whole setup did well in the wind/rain overall. At some point the figure 9 I had on the one side of the tarp ridgeline lost it's hold. Luckily this was before the rain, so I could just pull the line back through and be a bit more careful about it. I ended up in a bit lower of a spot than I started, but still fine.

My 12 inch x 3/8 lag bolts used for stakes were plenty strong enough, but they're going to have to be replaced with real stakes soon. In the end I stayed up mostly off he ground, warm, dry, now I can't wait for winter to come back again for some cold weather testing.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriffer View Post
    I tried it out indoors last night and the suspension pulled through the whipping twice before I managed to get it tied securely. I had a lot of stretching.

The suspension came over the whipping? That would be a pretty hard thing to do with the Warbonnet Whip. You got any pics on the ends of the hammock?
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    The suspension came over the whipping? That would be a pretty hard thing to do with the Warbonnet Whip. You got any pics on the ends of the hammock?
    Ahh I see it now. Yep I won't even bother with the pictures. I was working off your pictures for the ridgeline addition and put my suspension through the whipping like your ridgeline would go. Now I see the in the first deconstruction picture that the suspension line is just tied around the same spot of the hammock that the whipping line is. I have created a new hammock then, the Chriffer hammock.

The nylon will stretch. You should hang the hammock real high and get in with a ladder. :P

• + New Posts