HH Ultralite
    Tarp
    MJB w/DIY doors
    Insulation
    DIY Insultex UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch whoopie hks

My first DIY project---backpack cover/gear hammock

Thanks To Backwoods Daydreamer who gave me simple instructions on how to make this pack cover/gear hammock. I know people debate whether or not to use pack covers, but I was looking for a way to help protect my pack if I have to do some bushwhacking, as well as helping to keep it from getting water logged. I use plastic bags as pack liners but IMHO a waterlogged pack is still extra water weight I don’t want to carry. The cover is constructed out of coated military poncho ripstop nylon. I used 1 yd of the material, 3 ft of 1/8 inch schockcord, one cord lock, and two mitten hooks. I stuffed my Mariposa Plus GG pack with pillows to give it as much volume as possible. Then I laid the pack on the fabric and folded it around the pack till I thought I had enough coverage, and trimmed off the excess. I sewed a ½ inch hem on all four sides with the coated side roiled to the outside (to allow the schockcord to travel freely). Next I cut open the closed corners and inserted the cord. When I got to the top of the cover I threaded the cord through two mitten hooks on each side of the pack. I added the mitten hooks to give me a place to attach the cover to the pack so it wouldn’t be so easily blown off. I can also use one of these as a good point to attach it to my hammock to be used as a gear hammock. The total weight for the cover was 4.7 oz. The total cost of the materials was less than $5.00 (not including shipping) IMHO for my first attempt at DIY gear this was a good project to start with-- not very expensive and easy to do
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Gris; 02-09-2011 at 10:16.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Looks great! That's a really good project, and a really good piece of gear to have handy.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Looks like some good work there. This is a good first DIY project, fairly simple to build. I recently donated a bunch of these to a local summer camp that takes kids on week excursions into the beautiful Maine wilderness. Those ones I made were in bright orange silnylon though, so thet would do double duty in helping the team see each other in the woods and help in signaling if one strayed too much. .
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 dbl layer.
    Tarp
    WB Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Crowsnest & Burrow
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Looks awesome ....
    Questtrek
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks". John Muir.

Hammock
    One of Eight
    Tarp
    Cuban Baby !!
    Insulation
    I'm Down
    Suspension
    MYOG, whoopies
    Images
    Super Job !!! great forethought as well with the mitten clips ... would love to a pic or two of it in use a gear hammock ... again..Nice work !!!
    "The wise man questions others wisdom because he questions his own, the foolish man because it is different from his own." Leo Stein

Hammock
    DIY FrankenBird + 5 other DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Very cool.
    Nicely done.

I'll be interested to see if the mitten hooks prove strong enough for hanging as a gear hammock.

I made a gear hammock similar to the mollymac gear box (ridgeline in channel on one side only. other side is a large flap for weather protection), and have plans to make another one soon. The first was a proof of concept using non-waterproof nylon.

Here is what I'm thinking I'll do for the next one:
    The whole thing will be sil with a draw cord around the periphery of the pack cover section. Most folks use shock cord, but I'll use draw cord.

When used as a pack cover the weather flap will be tucked inside, and the draw cord will be pulled tight.

When used as a gear hammock, the draw cord will be the attachment point on each end for the gear hammock suspension (spectra whoopies).

I think this is similar to JustJeff's pack cover, only with a flap to cover the gear hammock so that it doesn't have to be hung under the tarp.
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

My outdoor gear review site http://gear-report.com
    Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

Hammock
    HH Ultralite
    Tarp
    MJB w/DIY doors
    Insulation
    DIY Insultex UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch whoopie hks
    Quote Originally Posted by rjcress View Post
    Very cool.
    Nicely done.

I'll be interested to see if the mitten hooks prove strong enough for hanging as a gear hammock.

I made a gear hammock similar to the mollymac gear box (ridgeline in channel on one side only. other side is a large flap for weather protection), and have plans to make another one soon. The first was a proof of concept using non-waterproof nylon.

Here is what I'm thinking I'll do for the next one:
    The whole thing will be sil with a draw cord around the periphery of the pack cover section. Most folks use shock cord, but I'll use draw cord.

When used as a pack cover the weather flap will be tucked inside, and the draw cord will be pulled tight.

When used as a gear hammock, the draw cord will be the attachment point on each end for the gear hammock suspension (spectra whoopies).

I think this is similar to JustJeff's pack cover, only with a flap to cover the gear hammock so that it doesn't have to be hung under the tarp.
    I have the same reservations about if the mitten hook will be strong enough as well. I figured once I have my hammock set up, bear bag hung, and all the rest of the stuff out of my pack; there should be less than five pounds in the gear hammock. I carry extra mini-biner’s and if the hooks fail I can always use one of them in a pinch. Thanks for your advice on my IX quilt I’m working on as well. I hope to have it done by the 18th.

Hammock
    DIY FrankenBird + 5 other DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gris View Post
    I have the same reservations about if the mitten hook will be strong enough as well. I figured once I have my hammock set up, bear bag hung, and all the rest of the stuff out of my pack; there should be less than five pounds in the gear hammock. I carry extra mini-biner’s and if the hooks fail I can always use one of them in a pinch. Thanks for your advice on my IX quilt I’m working on as well. I hope to have it done by the 18th.
    If they work, it is a pretty elegant solution.
    Glad the IX UQ is coming along. I'm loving mine.
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

My outdoor gear review site http://gear-report.com
    Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

Hammock
    3xWBBB1.0dbl, XLC, DIY
    Tarp
    superfly, maccat d
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ/UGQ/HG
    Suspension
    whoopies, E.trunks
    very nice job - i like the camp too.

cool il have to make on for my alice pack.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast