DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    none yet
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

thread, yep thread

what is the thread to use? I've made several hammocks, tree huggers etc... out of invisible quilting thread. (bear in mind I weigh as much as a wet dog is this the way to go? should you use a different thread for the hammock ie more flex? How about the tree huggers?
    God let me be the man that my dog thinks I am

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I personally do not recommend the "invisible" threads as they are made out of nylon. They will stretch and can create issues with the machine tensions. The are primarily intended for hand sewing IMO. Any high quality 100% polyester thread in normal household weight is good to use. Guttermanns is a name bandied about frequently. There are others. But your thread at a fabric shop and avoid the big box stores as much as possible. Coats and Clark is garbage.... but I have had to use it at times and it hasn't been disastrous. Avoid the "no name" $1 spools and that ilk. They are like using baling twine as far as texture goes.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    I only have the ones I've made
    Tarp
    DIY Bumble Bee
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images

What's wrong with Coats and Clark?

I don't want to get excommunicated for asking, but what's wrong with Coats and Clark? I've purchased two different types of their thread, one was outdoor UV protected and the other was for upholstery if I'm not mistaken. The latter is so strong I can't break it by hand without cutting myself. The other is pretty strong, but will break. I checked out some Guttermans at Jo-Anns last week and it broke fairly easily and I was testing the heavy duty thread. Is the problem with C&C the strength or do people have problems with tension and the thread binding up? I have to say that I have had some issues with tension and binding when I'm sewing through several layers of thick stuff like seatbelt webbing and other webbing, but I've found if I try not to go wide-open I don't have much of a problem. FYI, all thread I've discussed here was 100% polyester.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Some folks here have had issues with it:
    Dropping lots of lint in the machine
    Not working consistently (breaking, tangling, etc.)

I've used it in the past with success, but the Gutterman's worked better for me, and when I looked real close at both, the gutterman's was a more consistent diameter... if I recall ...

That said, you don't want the thread to be stronger than your fabric. If something has to give, I'd rather the thread break than tear the fabric. (That's Rev's advice to me re-sent to you.)

I've used lots of gutterman thread on many projects with no complaints... Other than I don't sew straight... maybe it's the thread's fault.... hmmmmm....
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    If you buy the thread from a top flight fabric store you will probably have a better experience. But the big box stores and hobby shops often do not know how to store things like thread. Heat will degrade thread. Sitting in hot warehouses for months while the stock is being shipped out to thousands of stores is not the best thing to do.

The other issue has to do with the fuzzies that are part of the spinning process. Coat's and Clark can have a rougher than excellent smooth thread.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Black Diamond Portaledge
    Insulation
    900fp Down
    Gutermann thread all the way. I go through thousands of meters of the stuff and can't remember the last time I had it break while in the machine. It has little to no lint for most colors and is the most consistent between spools that I've run across. It's excellent thread, though I'm sure the extra strong Gutermann might be good for some weight bearing items like a hammock.
    Evan Cabodi
    Black Rock Gear
    www.blackrockgear.com

• + New Posts