Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hammock
    homemade hand knotted
    Tarp
    Neo
    Images

Treklight double

I just bought two on the cyber sale about a month ago, one for my son and one for myself. It is my first cloth hammock experience. I weigh around 250 and felt secure in it. I might also add that I'm only 5'9" tall.
    Using a stand inside I logged around 20 hours in it over several nights. It is shorter than the string hammocks I tie and consequently I felt a slight tightness about the shoulders. This was also due, in part, to my not being able to obtain the amount of sag I wanted with this particular stand without scraping the floor. I like lots of sag when I log flight hours.
    I also slid more than I'm used to, that cloth is smooth compared to the netting. That will take some getting used to as well. The built in back scratch feature of the netting is noticably absent.
    The comfort was there and it was pleasant. It is good to broaden my horizons every once in a while. For the price I don't think you can go wrong.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    TrekLight or Enos are great, fairly lightweight, hammocks. Strongly suggest the double in whichever you choose. I used a TrekLight double for home sleeping for about 3 months or so; really liked it.

Whatever you choose, welcome to the Dark Side.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Since you are just testing the waters, I would start with a inexpensive hammock like the ENO,Trek Light, or Ticket To The Moon. I would also suggest that you look at the double size in these hammocks as they are much more comfortable and roomy for a small weight increase.

Also think about what gear you already have that can be used with the hammock: pads, tarps, quilts, etc. I know the weight is going to be an issue if you have been using a tarp, but a comfortable night in a hammock after hiking all day, the weight won't be that much of an issue.

Side sleeping in a HAAB (Hook And Attached Bag) hammock, like ENO or Trek Light, is very comfortable and that's how I sleep most of the time.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Quilts + Body Fat
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Yup, I think I am going to go with an Eno DoubleNest, Ring Buckle/Webbing setup, Eno Bug Net, and a JRB 11x10 tarp.

I have a really nice JRB quilt already but I will need a new pad this year. Currently looking at the GG ThinLight but it is a bit bulkier than I am used to. I would likely have to mount it outside of my pack which I generally don't like doing.

- JT

Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Quilts + Body Fat
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I'm also going to need a hammock stand for testing in the backyard or just go to a local campground. Hmm.. definitely no trees in my yard.

- JT

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobit View Post
    I'm also going to need a hammock stand for testing in the backyard or just go to a local campground. Hmm.. definitely no trees in my yard.

- JT
    That's an easy one!

Risk's $25 stand is simple to make, a little more that $25 these days, and reliable. I've been using one at home for almost a year now. I beefed it up a little to make it permanent, but the basic design works great.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Trecklight Double
    Tarp
    JRB 11' x 10' Cat
    Insulation
    U.S. Poncho Liners
    Images
    This thread should help with that if your looking to make your own. There are some goood links in it Warbonnet's Stand is a good one.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...arbonnet+stand

Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Quilts + Body Fat
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Making my own assumes I have power tools.

- JT

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobit View Post
    Making my own assumes I have power tools.

- JT
    I am also lacking in most of the tools needed, but I have been borrowing stuff here and there. My stand is almost finished and I should be able to use it by this weekend. I think Risk's stand you can make without major power tools.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    DIY zHammock / WB BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Spinntex
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts, GG Pad
    Alas, I too and cursed with being in the heavy range of the population and before my foray into DIY gear, I used a ENO SingleNest with fairly good results. It wasn't quite wide enound for my liking, as was dealing with pads a hassel, ergo my new DIY zHammcok HH clone. As for sleeping gear, a Western Mountaineering MeagaLite unziped as a quilt works really well for me as I can shift the down to the top or sides as needed. With either a NS or Nest underneith me, depending upon conditions.

if you finally decide on making your own hammock, a double layer made out of 1.9 oz ripstop and 1.1 oz ripstop works well for me. I have no fears of being droped with this current setup. So happy hanging and as always YMMV.
    NREMT-B, WEMT
    CPR goes up and down, up and down......because my patient's dead.
    Hanger Fromally Known as Ghost93.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast