Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Heck Yes!

Of course take a crack at it, that's why it's open source. Also check out this company... www.quechua.com... they make stuff like this in tents, so I wrote them an email. This technology is super cheap! It's very effective in my super preliminary testing too.

i have an old pop up blind i can get the springsteel out of. or i can see if my buddy has an old fish tape he broke.

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    And what about sewing two of these together to get a real long tunnel? You could attach some nylon (or whatever) with a channel on the end to create an enclosure. Depending on how this will be used the loops of metal fish tape (never heard of that stuff, very cool) might need to be more oval having a tapered end on the ridgeline and wider as it encompasses the hammock and your butt. I guess more of a triangle hung from your ridgeline. Make sense? A friend and I were discussing this just about a week ago so this is excellent timing singletrackfarm.
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

Hammock
    ENO DN / DIY
    Tarp
    9 x 7 cheapie
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    Straps and Rings
    I think this could be a great idea! You could have sections of netting along the bottom and some in the top of the foot and head sections for ventilation. That is if you closed the ends, of course. What about making it so it hangs on your ridgeline? Might be to close for some folks, but if it was a wide enough diameter it could work. You could also build in all sorts of pockets on the inside! You might need a few mitten clips to secure it to the ridgeline to keep it from rotating down when things are in the pockets. I really like the idea of one being made completely out of netting. This would be much easier than zipping yourself in, simply push it down towards your feet. You could have a bug net version that a sheet of waterproof material could attach to for rain protection. Many possibilities!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY (finally done)
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    I think I'm still a little lost. Are you going to use this as a 'tarp' of sorts for weather protection, or are you thinking of more of peapod insulation type idea?

Hammock
    Warbonnet 1.7DL
    Tarp
    W.B. BMJ
    Quote Originally Posted by dmrichm View Post
    I think I'm still a little lost. Are you going to use this as a 'tarp' of sorts for weather protection, or are you thinking of more of peapod insulation type idea?
    It looks like it could be used as both if done right.

I will point out that if you dont add enough vents you will have lots of problems with condensation in the winter. I have that very problem with the chrysalis right now.
    With the lack of vents on it, I am finding that I have lots of ice to deal with in the morning.

I do like the idea though but I dont that that those dogie tunnels are water resistant. You will need to make it out of something else.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY (finally done)
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    I say definately try it out! I really enjoy reading about innovative thinking in this community! Some of my initial thoughts on some pitfalls you may have to overcome would be:
    1. What to do if it is raining and you need to do anything outside your hammock (bathroom, cooking food etc)
    2. Major condensation issues if you try to make it weather proof and insulated like a pod
    3. Packability
    4. Where would you put your backpack and boots in a rain storm
    5. Limited options in terms of set up

Hammock
    DIY Hennessey Clone
    Tarp
    Camo Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Thermorest Pad
    Suspension
    Dutch clips
    I have a 12foot long agility tunnel - I wonder what that would look like?

I think I would upset the dog if I stole her tunnel!
    As you grow older, you'll find the only things you regret are the things you didn't do. ~Ernest Hemmingway

Hammock
    Ask me tomorrow
    Tarp
    Old Blue
    Insulation
    DIY, HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Agnostic
    Images
    I think this is a brilliant idea to try out and evolve into something amazing! I can't wait to see what you do with it.

Images
    I know the spring steel is super thin to begin with but if we were to build this from scratch, I'd suggest carbon or even fiberglass. Think something along the lines of the top section of a fishing pole.

I seem to remember my grandmother had a windshield reflector that had spring steel or something in it. If I remember right, it was two circles but you could twist it up into some sort of coil without creasing the spring. point being it let you take the big circle and fold it into a much smaller circle which would help with packing it.

Hey if the tube is big enough you could also hang it vertically as a shower stall/port-a-potty/changing stall.
    OK, probably not, but I'd enjoy seeing someone try.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast