Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    OMW or Dutch Wide
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies/ Dutch

Suggestions needed for noob hanger

I'm just a hair under 300 lbs so I need a bigger hammock if I try this and I'm looking at hammocks carried by Campmor because I have a gift certificate from there.

I liked the look of this ENO and this Grand Trunk

Would either of these be good starter hammocks? Pros/cons of either of them?

Thanks in advance,
    Kirk

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    Get the ENO. Just don't get their Slap Strap suspension. Switch out to non-nylon webbing & cinch buckles or whoopies.
    KJ

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    obviously the SBP has a bugnet and the ENO does not. I'm not a fan of the bugnet design on the SBP, but for the price its the best thing going for a big roomy hammock with a bugnet.

I had an SBP once, thought the zipper was on the flimsy side and the stitching not so great. I have an ENO double for lounging around when car camping with the family, I like it a lot.

comes down to use really. Camping when you want protection from bugs and are funds limited from finding another solution...SBP. Other use, or camping when bugs aren't a bother, I like the ENO.

YMMV.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Straps, D. Buckles
    Images
    First of all, WELCOME!!
    My wife (Gumbo) and I are still kinda new to this too, but we've been out on several weekenders in heat (90*) and cold (25*), rain and shine. We have ENO Double Nests as part of ENO's One Link Sysytem, and we like them a lot! ENO offers different flys. We got the Dry Fly and it has served us well. We were dry and happy when others were wet and miserable. I also like the seperate bug net that goes completely around. Here in Florida bugs are serious business - and they WILL bite through the bottom of the hammock (unless your bug net goes completely around).
    Note: ENO is light but not ultra light. Many people like to change the big carabiners for lightweight whoopie slings.
    Ah! very important... Do NOT get ENO's Slapstraps (or Slapstrap Pro). They are nylon and stretch terribly. You'll want to find some basic polyester straps to use as tree huggers.
    We also have Grand Trunk sleeping bags and a few other pieces of equipment from them, and it seems to be well made too.
    Anyway, that's one person's experience. Hope it's helpful.
    Maybe we'll see you at a hang sometime.
    HangCon Sign Up:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

So many trees, so little time...

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    ENO is a ggod brand to start with. Get the Double Nest. As others have said avoid the Slap Straps and get some polyester webbing from one of the Hammock Forum vendors.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    I will also through in my vote for the ENO Double Nest hammock for someone of your size and stature............I know from experience you will be comfortable. I also agree with everyone else about avoiding the Slapstraps and switching out the OEM cord/beiner suspension on the ENO with a strap/cinchbuckle suspension system from one of the HF vendors.......highly recommend Arrowhead Equipment, Paul is a wonderful guy to deal with. Good luck in the search and I almost forgot to say : Welcome to HF from Bama!!!!
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    OMW or Dutch Wide
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies/ Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbamaguy View Post
    I will also through in my vote for the ENO Double Nest hammock for someone of your size and stature............I know from experience you will be comfortable. I also agree with everyone else about avoiding the Slapstraps and switching out the OEM cord/beiner suspension on the ENO with a strap/cinchbuckle suspension system from one of the HF vendors.......highly recommend Arrowhead Equipment, Paul is a wonderful guy to deal with. Good luck in the search and I almost forgot to say : Welcome to HF from Bama!!!!
    Thanks. Maybe I'll contact him to see what he recommends.

Then I'll have to search up some vids on setting it up later when there's not two foot of snow on the ground. I'm normally one of those that needs "extra" instruction. Or I'll try to find someone in the area.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormstaff View Post
    Thanks. Maybe I'll contact him to see what he recommends.

Then I'll have to search up some vids on setting it up later when there's not two foot of snow on the ground. I'm normally one of those that needs "extra" instruction. Or I'll try to find someone in the area.
    Hey Stormstaff ..... sounds like your on your way.
    I did a series of videos for the new hammocker .... if you want give 'em a look. They may help in some areas.
    Hammocks for Noobs
    Shug
    Last edited by Shug; 02-12-2011 at 16:25.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Straps w/Cinch bkl
    Images
    I am just a hair under 300 myself, 294 this morning. I started with the SBP, still have it. I never had any problems, made a few mods (structural ridge line through the bug netting, replaced the loops through the ends with amsteel loops). Overall, good deal for the money. Never used the ENO. I have since purchased a Warbonnet Blackbird, 1.7 dbl layer. The Blackbird is much more substantial and just feel like a better made piece of gear, which it is! However, it's a good but more money. I still have the SBP, and might use it from time to time, but will likely take it for the wife to use....when she tags along.
    "I will study and get ready, and perhaps my chance will come." - Abraham Lincoln

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    crowsnest/Burrow
    Suspension
    WS All In One
    If you read alot of these post you will notice that most hammock users end up in a blackbird. (cant beat the shelf and foot box.)

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast