Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tyvek

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    I think I'd put some other light material over the tyvek, to make it comfy, warm, and to keep claws from tearing up the tyvek. Does your dog have a favorite blanket? (You could make a cover out of that, and not take the whole thing).
    What I am making is a peiece of tyvek 2 1/2 foot my 3 ft. Another peice of vellux blanket the same size. I will set them together and leve one short end unsewn. This is how I will slide in the z-rest when he is on the gound. So I can remove the pad and have that blanket/tyvek for in the hammock. The vellux is pretty durable, but stretches a lot. I've got some 1.9 I can throw together for a quick dog hammock to see if he likes it just for a test.

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    I just sewed two widths of Tyvek together to make a decent sized ground tarp to hang out on around the fire. Sewed just like any other fabric. Mule
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
    Since it involves hammock camping, it's all related. I have a pack for him, and plan on keeping it around 10 lbs or less. He weighs 40 lbs. I will keep my water filter, maps and compass, his colapsable water bowl, his jacket (for the really cold rains and snow), and some of his food in it. I will carry the rest of his food.
    I would keep my compass and maps on my person. dog run's after deer or another animal there goes my way out.

And I have a great dog that would not leave my side but you never know and would hate to live up to my quote.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cavediver2 View Post
    I would keep my compass and maps on my person. dog run's after deer or another animal there goes my way out.

And I have a great dog that would not leave my side but you never know and would hate to live up to my quote.
    If it was anywhere other than the AT I would keep them on me. Since you could easily hike the AT without a map and compass I will keep it in his pack. I like to pull them out sometimes and see where I am at and the upcoming terrain. It's a pain to do this with them in my pack.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skskinner View Post
    I just sewed two widths of Tyvek together to make a decent sized ground tarp to hang out on around the fire. Sewed just like any other fabric. Mule
    That's good to know. I've never worked with it and was wondering how it would do.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
    Before anyone asks, yes he will stay on a leash. I have had some bad runins with dogs on the trial being off leash. I will be the hiker with a dog that everyone loves. I don't sleep in shelters, I keep him on a leash, I bury his "traces", he drinks out of a bowl not the water source, he doesn't like to play in water so he won't dirty up water sources, and I don't say "my dog doesn't bite" (they always bite when someone says that). I know he is a dog, and he may bite. Luckily I can read him very well and know his body languange and can tell when he is about to snap. All I have to do is call his name and give a certain command and he won't bite. I hike with the mindset that we are sharing the trail. Thoe on the trail didn't come out there to doeal with me or my dog and our mess and more than we are out there to deal with theirs. I expect others to be curteous, then we will be too.
    that's great Cerberus. i wish everybody would be that thoughtful about their dogs<g>. thanks!
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    Black Cat
    Insulation
    Exped 7
    Suspension
    straps
    Images
    Cerebrus,
    You've probably thought of this but you might want to take some boots for your dog. I was hiking down around the San Antonio area (lots of rocks) and this family's dog had torn up his pads really bad. I know the AT isn't as rocky in most places and your dog will probably have time to toughen his feet, but just keep it in mind. Might save you some trouble down the trail.

Tango

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tango61 View Post
    Cerebrus,
    You've probably thought of this but you might want to take some boots for your dog. I was hiking down around the San Antonio area (lots of rocks) and this family's dog had torn up his pads really bad. I know the AT isn't as rocky in most places and your dog will probably have time to toughen his feet, but just keep it in mind. Might save you some trouble down the trail.

Tango
    Yeah, I've been looking at them. I figure he would need them for the rocks in PA, and also if we have a long stretch of rain and the trail is constantly wet. I know cows get hoof rot (something like that) if they are always stanting in water, so I figure dogs can get trench foot just like people. If the boots aren't waterproof I will just make a DWR sleeve to go on the inside. That should do it.

Hammock
    Trecklight Double
    Tarp
    JRB 11' x 10' Cat
    Insulation
    U.S. Poncho Liners
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cavediver2 View Post

Of course it might not be a bad idea to put a backup in your dog's pack JIC something happens to your pack. My dog is about the same size maybe a little closer to 50 lbs and I usually just let him carry his stuff including an xtra collar and leash and his own first aid kit that is specifically for him has some pj, gauze, petwrap, duct tape, tweezers, tic cup, and a copy of his records. He carries his collapsable food bowl and his food and treats. I don't really take him through rocky terrain but I do put boots on him in the winter when we walk because the snow hurts his paws after a little bit. I keep his total pack weight at or under 10 lbs. I think it's recomended not to have your dog carry more than 25% of it's own body weight and thats what I've always practiced. Seems to work good for him.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123