DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I found a fabric supplier on ebay that has a large selection of all kinds of fabrics, including the outdoor fabrics that we use. Some are camouflage patterns that are so popular. Not knowing the quality of these, I was able to obtain a sample packet of these outdoor fabrics. Let me state here that I don't know the people that run that ebay store or have any vested interest. Actually, SunnyTrike pointed me to that source.

I just want to report that the fabrics are aggressively priced, so I took a look at the samples. Most are priced from $2.50 to $3.50 per yard. This following is my assessment:

The nylon calendared ripstop water resistant fabrics (of which there are many colors) held a pocket of water, 1/2” deep over a cup for ˝ hour without dripping or even wetting out. The samples weighed 1.3 oz/sy on my scale.

The silnyon coated ripstops did not mist through onto a kleenex backing while I held it under a kitchen faucet spray for 30 seconds. The spray was forcefull! Those samples weighed 2.4 oz/sy on my scale.

There is a very interesting “Digital Coated Ripstop” that is 1.6 oz before coating and 2 oz/sy after coating on my scale, that would make a beautiful camo tarp at a reasonable weight, even for backpackers.

There is a wide assortment of camouflage PU coated ripstop which is of course much heavier but good for car campers that appears to be of good quality. They weight 4.2 oz/sy on my scale.

There was a uncoated 1.9 oz/sy nylon ripstop (black & olive) that proved to be about as water resistant as the lighter weight DWR samples. The weight was confirmed on my scale.

Of special note, there was two samples of camouflage uncoated 1 oz/sy material that was extremely breathable, but not at all water resistant, that would be suitable for a very breathable hammock cover material. However, as I post this, it looks like it is all sold.

Also, of special note, is a gorgeous navy blue, PU coated ripstop that has a unique pattern in it that I loved. I just can't think of anything that this lightweight backpacker would make with 4+ oz/sy material.

The main problem I see with this supplier is that the descriptions leave a lot to be desired. However, they seem responsive to emails and were willing to send me a package of samples.

I point to this as another source to consider if your normal suppliers do not have what you want. Their good points, as I see them, are the broad selection and low prices. However, you may want to contact them directly to negotiate the normal shipping when buying multiple items (the ebay store simply adds the maximum amounts).

The ebay store is:
    http://stores.ebay.com/Fabricsupplier
    Last edited by MAD777; 02-13-2011 at 13:26. Reason: sp

Hammock
    DIY FrankenBird + 5 other DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Pretty sure this is a known supplier here. Prices look ok until the high shipping charges.
    However, this is the only source I know of for 72" wide Ripstop.
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

My outdoor gear review site http://gear-report.com
    Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

Hammock
    DIY ultralight gathered end
    Tarp
    WB big mambajamba
    Insulation
    stoic somnus bag
    Suspension
    7/64" DIY whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rjcress View Post
    Pretty sure this is a known supplier here. Prices look ok until the high shipping charges.
    However, this is the only source I know of for 72" wide Ripstop.
    exactly, i have ordered alot of fabric from them, and i am always disapointed by the insane shipping.
    -Dan
    Even fools are thought wise if they keep silent, and discerning if they hold their tongues. Proverbs 17:28

Custom hammocks...cottage industry...endless options
    http://www.wix.com/dandeman94/dandemanhammocks
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dandem...10535562357869

Action sport photography.http://www.facebook.com/pages/Trik-M...39451409426834

Hammock
    Skookum Stealth
    Tarp
    Skookum Stealth
    Insulation
    WM Blue
    Suspension
    WhoOpie Slingz
    Images
    Yeah I have checked them out in the past.

Looks great till you see the shipping charges. They are way out of line IMO. If I remember it's something like $7.99 for the first yard of fabric and a $1.00 for every additional yard after that. :/

Bottom line, add a $1 per yard when your looking at the prices.

Regardless, very cool you took the time to check them out. Much appreciated.

-skookum

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64"whoopie sling
    I've ordered a lot of fabric from them in the past, and will in the future too. I usually do a Make Offer for $.25 to $.50 cheaper than the asking price/yd. and have yet to be turned down. I usually order a lot of fabric from them at once too, to help offset the shipping. Last order was 25 yds. IIRC.

PF
    It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Formerly known as Acercanto, my trail name is MacGuyver to some, and Pucker Factor to others.

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness. - Randy Glasbergen

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Insulation
    UGQ down goodness
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Images
    72" Ripstop might be worth the extra shipping. Thank you for going the extra mile and checking them out Mad777.

MMmm.. Do you think my husband will be upset when I add DIY projects to his 'Honey Do' list?

Hammock
    DIY FrankenBird + 5 other DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumbo View Post
    MMmm.. Do you think my husband will be upset when I add DIY projects to his 'Honey Do' list?
    I had to laugh because my wife thinks I'm nuts for all of the DIY projects I do. You are describing a dynamic I'm unfamiliar with. Might be nice if she had any interest at all in any of my DIY projects.
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

My outdoor gear review site http://gear-report.com
    Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

Hammock
    DIY ASYM
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Temporarily CCF
    Great supplier, seems to give a couple extra feet every time I order. Fabric super soft and extra wide. Yet to finish the hammock with their fabric yet, working on it today. I hope the wide body will help with a flat lay...and roomy hammock

Hammock
    WB BB, 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    mac cat

what fabric best for DIY hammock?

I am looking to build my own simple double layer hammock (WB Traveler style) and have started to look for fabric. This thread interested me as I'm looking for a fabric source. There are so many options.
    Use "calendared" ripstop DWR, or would you recommend some other type? This site also does not give weights per yard. Have you gotten weights by calling?
    Are there other reputable online sources for the right fabrics?

Hammock
    my 11' ers
    Tarp
    many of my tarps
    Insulation
    yeti, Incubators
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Images
    thanks for the info...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast