WBBB Single 1.7
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10X10
    Insulation
    Kick Ass Quilts
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing

New from MO...

New here... I have been directed here a few times but really haven't read much yet. Looking to get a hammock for a trip this spring and need to figure out what I need/want.

Hope to find all my answers with out breaking the bank... my knife habit does that.

Ski

Hammock
    JRB BM Bridge w/2QZQ JavaMan mod
    Tarp
    JRB Cat Tarp
    Welcome ohski! We are almost neighbors! $$ can be a turnoff to changing out your gear and getting started in hammocking. I promise that it is well worth the investment. Start small and look for bargains on here and EBay etc. This website is a wealth of information. The info on here can help you decide how to start and problem solve when you hit a snag.
    Have you hiked the OT? Beauty beyond compare just a few miles from home!!!

Hammock
    HH UL Bckpker -2QZQ mod 4
    Tarp
    Spinn Mambajamba
    Insulation
    JRB Mt.W & No Sniv
    Suspension
    DC's & Whoopies
    Welcome, glad to have you here. sure I will see you around.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    GT funky forest
    Insulation
    experimenting
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    Welcome ohski...if you're a DIYer you might want to consider making a simple Gathered End Hammock...the one I'm working on will only cost $60 in materials (including shipping) and I will only have 'bout 3 hours of time invested...but then again I sew fairly well, have a machine I didn't have to pay for, and love doin' that kinda thing. If you don't want to DIY then I absolutely agree with Meander...check out the deals but watch the weight...I've seen a few inexpensive hammocks that weigh way too much for what they are (mostly due to the type of material and suspension they use) For a tarp, you may want to look at Chinook tarps...they are definitely heavier but you can't beat the price...then again you have to decide what you want to spend. For some people a couple hundred bucks is not too much...for people like me, I need to keep everything (including tarp) under $110 bucks...thus DIY is the way to go for me. Again, welcome and let us know what you decide on and happy hangin.

PS: If you do decide to DIY check out the DIY forum...that'll keep you busy reading for a while and will have a plethora of info for you.
    “A man is as free as he chooses to make himself, never an atom freer.”

Hammock
    WBBB Single 1.7
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10X10
    Insulation
    Kick Ass Quilts
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing
    I have my BCUSA tarp that should work out rather well with a hammock... I'm not trying to go ultra light but I would rather not pack a boat anchor either.

I'm actually looking at hitting some of the OT this year... 3 weekend type trips for sure... I'm more of a hike a ways out, set up camp, and hang out for a couple of days kind of guy.

Ski

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Your wallet is going to love this place. Welcome to HF!

Fronkey

Check the "for-sale" sub forum here, someone just posted a lot of good quality gear for sale but could be more pricey than you're looking for, but there are tons of great deals always coming and going here. Also, I personally have not tried them, but for a one stop shop for everything you needto start hammocking for 150 to 200 bucks you could check out Hennessy Hammocks.. Or you may want to try a Warbonnet Traveler with a bugnet and use with your BCUSA tarp.. hope you find whatyou're looking for.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    DIY tarp
    Insulation
    IX UQ, sleep bag
    Suspension
    Warbonnet rings
    Welcome Ohski! I'm from KC area and new to hammock camping also. I ordered DIY materials from Quest fabrics for hammock, some of the suspension, and a tarp-spent a little less than $120. The quilts are what will cost the most, it looks like. I figure anything made from down can always be used if you are outside much. Plus I am factoring in the fun I am having making items. Good luck with your gear.
    Kat

Hammock
    WBBB Single 1.7
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10X10
    Insulation
    Kick Ass Quilts
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing
    Thanks all... I'm not looking to do anything DIY for the hammock itself... I want/need a good base to start with and the mods I'm sure will follow. At this point I'm only looking for a semi 3 season setup. The need of the hammock is more because of where I'm looking at camping, sounds like it will be easier to hang than to find a flat spot to set up my MSR Hubba Hubba.

Ski

• + New Posts