Tarp
    SuperFly/Oware
    Insulation
    KAUQ,WBurrowTQU,PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

New Winter Burrow Test

Just got the new Winter Burrow yesterday. I was expecting a little more Loft for the Winter Burrow, but the Quilt is excellent Quality and looks great. Most of you are going to hate me, but I tried out the TQ last night, temps dropped all the way down to 46*F. Quilt worked great. Will head up in the Mountains in the next couple of weeks to give it a real test, keep you posted. Thanks Adam and Hammock Gear for more fine Equipment.
    The Older I get, the Faster I use to be.

So are you on the East Coast (ATL) or in the Desert (AZ) testing your gear? Would love to see pics of your trip in either location, as we have family in both locations. Good to know where the best hanging spots are located when you move as much as we do.

Dennis

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnome77 View Post
    Just got the new Winter Burrow yesterday. I was expecting a little more Loft for the Winter Burrow, but the Quilt is excellent Quality and looks great.
    Hum interesting, Ive never had any trouble with any of my hammock gear quilts lofting up to their full potential. The Winter Burrow should loft up to 5.5'. Did you shake it vertically and not horizontally, this is important. Give it a few good shakes and it should loft right up. What loft measurement are you getting up to? Also remember to keep it unstuffed so it keeps the loft up and the down from bunching. Hope some of these suggestions help you.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    WB BB DL 1.7oz
    Tarp
    SuperFly/Oware
    Insulation
    KAUQ,WBurrowTQU,PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Thanks LRR. I just laid it out on the bed, lofted up to 3", didn't realize I needed to shake,(use to synthetics).By vertically I guess you mean grab the foot end and shake? Yea that helps loft it up a bit. 10-4 on the hanging Bags, Quilts to keep the loft, I try and always keep compression times to minimum necessary to travel.

Hammock
    WB BB DL 1.7oz
    Tarp
    SuperFly/Oware
    Insulation
    KAUQ,WBurrowTQU,PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Ok got the brew scale out, loft mystery solved, 24.5 oz with stuff sack. It's all good Adam gave me a deal on a ready made and got it shipped out next day, before family vacation. Great guy and Great product, TQ will serve me well I expect.

Hammock
    Clark
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HGWinter Incubator
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Gnome, I had the same issue as you. I thought it looked very thin when it arrived even after lofting it up. Still, it works very well and the build quality is great.

Hammock
    WB BB DL 1.7oz
    Tarp
    SuperFly/Oware
    Insulation
    KAUQ,WBurrowTQU,PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Got to test the Top Quilt this weekend, temps down to 34*. Worked great, kept me toasty warm.

you serious 5.5 inches of loft? Thats huge. Most zero quilts are 3.5 " loft.

I personally think most of the cottage guys understuff their quilts for the ratings they list. Dont get me wrong i have 3 of them (jrb) and love them, but I have added extra ounces to all my custom orders and have never been disappointed. I got a jrb high sierra snivler and had it overstuffed by two ounces and I love the feel and loft height...so much so I bought a custom jrb sierra snivler that was already overstuffed (titanium goat model).

One other quilt guy to check out and in my opinion a very good one is katbaticgear quilts.

He is coming out with a new 22 degree rated quilt in both a 52" wide and a 58" wide in both regular and long. If you compare his fill weights to other manufacturers you will see he uses substantially more down than some and I personally think its warranted.

For cuban dry sacks check out mountainfitter.com Lawson makes these and I have a ton of them and love them.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vesteroid View Post
    you serious 5.5 inches of loft? Thats huge. Most zero quilts are 3.5 " loft.

I personally think most of the cottage guys understuff their quilts for the ratings they list.

Your kidding right?

My Hammock Gear Winter UQ was advertised 5.5" and I got all 5.5

When I get new down I always pop it in the dryer on fluff (no heat) with two tennis balls for ~30 minutes
    then store laying flat in the equipment room.

deleted the whole thing cause I"m tired and stupid.. hammockgear does not understuff and saves you the burden of unneeded weight in a quilt

btw, you spend 200 dollars more for 6.5 extra ounces of 850 fil with katabolic

better off spending the money adding custom overstuff of 900 fill for 60.00 with hammockgear.. who's understuffing or over charging?
    Last edited by Red Wing; 03-10-2011 at 00:37.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast