Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images

TI Jackpot!

So, I've been really pleased with my Singer 15-91. It is a beast of a machine that, despite being 50+ years old, works great and powers through just about anything.
    Went to see my parents today. I remembered that my wife's grandmother had an old machine and that we had stuffed it in the back corner of my parent's attic 3 moves ago. Sure enough, it was still up there. A Singer 503 Special.
    The stand/cabinet it is in is looking REALLY rough, but I oiled the machine and just sewed a new blackbishop bag for one of my DIY hammocks. The thing works really well. Now I have the ability to do more than just a simple straight stitch.
    It is missing all of the extra attachments, but I think the ones that I care about are interchangeable with my 15-91.

My wife just rolled her eyes she learned that I had picked up her grandmother's machine. I figured my best shot of finding someone that might understand my excitement was here in the HF DIY area.
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

My outdoor gear review site http://gear-report.com
    Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    Score!
    also good on you-keeping a good machine in circulation, and out of the wasteland...

Hammock
    Ask me tomorrow
    Tarp
    Old Blue
    Insulation
    DIY, HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Agnostic
    Images
    Oh, awesome!!! Perfect score of a great machine! Good show!

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    We have some things in common. My wife rolls her eyes, too. Like the time I took her beat up Kenmore for service and came home with a "like new" Singer 19-51. Great machine. Sometimes I sneak out the Kenmore for zig-zag stitching, but I find I'm using the z-z less and less.

I opened this thread because I thought you had found a new source for titanium, only to discover you meant "thread injector". I suggest you cultivate the usage "PTI", which according to the abbreviations thread stands for "powered thread injector." Sounds so ... powerful.

Hammock
    One of Eight
    Tarp
    Cuban Baby !!
    Insulation
    I'm Down
    Suspension
    MYOG, whoopies
    Images
    I opened this thread because I thought you had found a new source for titanium, only to discover you meant "thread injector". I suggest you cultivate the usage "PTI", which according to the abbreviations thread stands for "powered thread injector." Sounds so ... powerful.

Ahh .. I did as well ... but as I put the finishing touches on my 2nd DIY tarp ... TI is taking on a whole new meaning to me now ... I can say I never thought I'd be spending hours in front of a TI to enjoy my time outdoors ...
    "The wise man questions others wisdom because he questions his own, the foolish man because it is different from his own." Leo Stein

Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images
    Ha Ha!!! I share your excitement.

I also rescued a PTI from my in-law grandmother. Everybody in the family was worried about what to do with it since it was such a nice looking piece of furniture, etc, etc. I oiled it up, dusted it off, checked it out, and tried to sew a line. Alas, it had a plastic cog deep on the inside that broke. Little plastic pieces appeared under the machine. I researched repair and it was going to be too much for me. Sew... I gave it to the Salvation Army store.

Congratulations on your find!

Images
    no adamantium here :-/

Hammock
    DIY FrankenBird + 5 other DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Sorry folks, it won't let me changethe title to PTI
    Off to the store to get grosgrain for another tarp. I'll use the 503 for this one and see how it does.
    It sounds much more mechanical than my old 15-91... If that makes sense.
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

My outdoor gear review site http://gear-report.com
    Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

Nice, 503's are good machines but use slanted shank presser feet, the
    15-91 uses low shank, so they're not interchangable. The slanted feet are easy to find as well as the top hat cams. The O cam, zigzag, is the most useful and produces really nice bartacks. If yours didn't come with a manual it's available here:
    http://www.ismacs.net/singer_sewing_...e-manuals.html

I picked one up last week.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Beautiful machine! You're looking to have a really good time with it. Love to see the new tarp when its done.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast