Tarp
    ZPacks asym
    Insulation
    Golite TQ / JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Cheapo webbing
    Images

Roan Mountain Trip report

Well, I made it MOST of the weekend! Got up there a little late friday, meeting everyone around the fire was great! As the temps plummeted, I got my hammock all set and curled up for the night. Even with the low temps (a new record for me, by a LONG shot!) and the crazy high winds, I slept all night nice and cozy. Saturday was just a wee bit breezy... I started feeling a little under the weather, so I decided to play it safe and came on down around darktime. Even with the shortened stay, it was a fantastic time!
    It could be that the purpose of my life is merely to serve as a warning to others.

Hammock
    DIY of the Day
    Tarp
    DIY of the Day
    Insulation
    DIY PLoft/IX-UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    WS or Spyder Line
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Dark View Post
    Well, I made it MOST of the weekend! Got up there a little late friday, meeting everyone around the fire was great! As the temps plummeted, I got my hammock all set and curled up for the night. Even with the low temps (a new record for me, by a LONG shot!) and the crazy high winds, I slept all night nice and cozy. Saturday was just a wee bit breezy... I started feeling a little under the weather, so I decided to play it safe and came on down around darktime. Even with the shortened stay, it was a fantastic time!
    Glad you're OK. If you felt the need to bail, it was the right decision. Hero is a word commonly found on tombstones.

Glad you had a good time too!
    2015 John Rock Spreadsheet.

"If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you should do is STOP DIGGING "

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Just made it back to Knoxville after dropping Bike Camper off in Blountville.
    Mister Dark, you made the right call! Hopefully a little more warmth and a little less altitude are agreeing with you today. (I'm just marveling at being able to sit still without FREEZING today!)
    Thanks to everyone that made it up and especially to those who brought wood, breakfast, potatoes and STEAK...and s certain member that pulked a load of wood up there!

I'm going to go dry some gear and drain my hot water heater with a long hot shower before the trip reports start.
    Just to give you a brief preview, it was colder than the forecast suggested, windier than anyone guessed and MUCH more snow than we had hoped for....

Hammock
    Castaway Double
    Tarp
    Campmor silnylon
    Insulation
    Peapod and pads
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE SLING!!!!!

A few pics from the Roan Mtn Hang

Here are a few pics. Friday night was a low of 1.9 degrees! Nelson and I had a blast! Our pulks and hammocks worked great! We went up the road on Friday but down the AT on Saturday with no problems! Great meeting you guys (and gal). Mayday
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    SIGH!!!!

I so wish I could have gone!!!!

Some day!
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl + TTTG Switchback
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz
    Quote Originally Posted by mayday View Post
    Here are a few pics. Friday night was a low of 1.9 degrees! Nelson and I had a blast! Our pulks and hammocks worked great! We went up the road on Friday but down the AT on Saturday with no problems! Great meeting you guys (and gal). Mayday
    Roan Mtn - JUNE, JUNE, JUNE!!!!! Glad ya'll had a great time.
    Rockdawg69

It's a long way to the top if you want to Rock and Roll ----- those hills!!!

Professional Prevaricator: Part-time dealer in Yarns, Tales, Half-Truths, & Outright Lies -1st half-hour session at no cost (Lawyers and Doctors excepted).

Hammock
    Traveler
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben
    Insulation
    LeighLo/Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Been home for about an hour. Mr. Dark glad you are fine. Was reel good to meet you and thanks for sharing the hot water for coffee Saturday. It really helped me to make it through the day. To every one that I met and everyone I did not meet, thanks for letting me be a part. This is a great group of people. As a noob I did have a tough time during the day in those high winds but I slept warm and toasty at night. Thanks MedicineMan for the loan of the Black Mamba. It was awesome. One of the many lessons that I learned was not to take wet wipes for toilet tissue in those conditions. They just become popsicles, right Mac? Thanks again everyone.

PS. And yes thanks to even you wisenber.
    Last edited by southmark; 02-13-2011 at 20:26. Reason: Added PS

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64"whoopie sling
    Well, I got back a few hours ago, and have been chilling in the warm, NOT WINDY house. Had a blast seeing many of my bestest buddies and meeting some new ones!
    Got a video up on Facebook, working on Youtube now, of a short hike I did to Round Knob since I forgot my camera in camp on Saturday!
    Thanks to MedicineMan for the steaks, and to NCWinterHiker for the firewood, and Wisenber for organizing!

PF
    It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Formerly known as Acercanto, my trail name is MacGuyver to some, and Pucker Factor to others.

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness. - Randy Glasbergen

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Phoenix,LHBR,PP
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    My first winter hang was a great success for me! Thanks for organizing a great weekend wisenber and thanks for the ride. Thanks for a great ribeye, MedicineMan. Very flavorful and JUICY steak - even ate the fat! Thanks for the firewood hauling, Ncwinterhiker and for everyone that brought firewood or collected firewood. Macentyre builds a great "log cabin" fire. May not be the correct name - but it looked like a little like a log cabin with the firewood arranged in opposite directions. Made for a great fire to cook the steaks on.

Again, had a great time! Enjoyed meeting everyone in person. Looking forward to the next one.

Hammock
    Castaway Double
    Tarp
    Campmor silnylon
    Insulation
    Peapod and pads
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE SLING!!!!!

Southmark...see your pic?

I posted a pic of you a few replys back. It was of us four nearing the AT intersection

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast