WBBB Single 1.7
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10X10
    Insulation
    Kick Ass Quilts
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing

Newb here... lets talk styles...

Totally new to hammocks... Me: 36 year old male getting back into camping/hiking/general woods stuff. Lower back issues in the L5-S1 region. Been reading quite a bit in the past few days but I still can't wrap my head around the different styles.

If I understand it correctly there is...

1. gathered end - diy and ENO/Turks
    2. asymmetrical - Hennessy/WB/Clark JH
    3. bridge - JRB

If I want to lay flat number 2 and 3 would be easier correct..?

I think I'm leaning toward #2 just because I can purchase a full set up and head right out to the woods. I think...

As a side note I have a 10X10 BCUSA tarp that I will/can use. I'm also not looking to be ultra light but I don't want to pack more weight than my tent either. Looking for ~3 season setup

Thanks, Ski

Hammock
    Superior Gear
    Tarp
    Superior Gear
    Insulation
    Down
    I cannot vouch for the Hennessy but the bridge hammock will give you a flat lay. All the options can be DIY if you want to. As far as buying a complete set up. I wouldnt put to much stock in buying something just because it comes complete with tarp and what not. Everything you need you can find someone who will make it for you here on the forums. There are several vendors here that make tarps, top quilts, underquilts, stuff sacks, whoopie slings , tree huggers and pretty much anything else you may need or want depending on how light or durable or handy you want your gear to be. Shop around because most items you buy will be interchangeable with each other. (the possible exception to this might be the assymetrical hammock but even then I think most items can be made to work.
    Pete.
    The opinions expressed by this user are not those of a competent individual. If they were that would mean I know what I am talking about.

Images
    A Bridge hammock will give a flat lay for sure. You lay straight in this type of hammock instead of diagonally, or asymetrically, as you would in a gathered end hammock.

The HH/WB, etc... you listed will give a flat lay as well. The Asym. is more how you lay in these hammocks (on a diagonal) where the gathered end is how the end of the hammock is brought together (gathered) and connected to a suspension system.

Bridge = spread bar separating the end of the hammock
    Gathered end = end of hammock "gathered", simply put

Asym= the ability to lay in a hammock on a diagonal, achieving a flay lay, vice laying like a banana so to speak.

This is my 2 cents. If it doesn't make sense, I'm sure someone else will chime in that may have a better explanation.

Hammock
    JRB BMB
    Tarp
    JRB 11'x10'
    Insulation
    JRB TQ / UQ set
    Suspension
    JRB tri-glide

Hope this helps...

#1 & # 2 are both types of gather end hammocks

#3 is a different design

All 3 catergories will provide a flat lie.

# 1 and #2 - think of the imaginary line connecting the two trees and running along the bottom of the hammock, you create a flat lie by how you postion yourself in the hammock with respect to this line, your head and upper body are one side of the line and or lower body on the other side of the line, you can also fiddle with the sag of the hammock

# 3 is a lot different, imagine a soda can cut along its long axis, I use this style but some people didn't like them

My advice is to attend a hammock gathering, most people will be happy to let you try their set-up
    Love my JRB BMB

Hammock
    WBBB Single 1.7
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10X10
    Insulation
    Kick Ass Quilts
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing
    I would love to attend something like that but really don't have the time prior to my trip. That is why I'm here trying to figure out what I need/want.

Ski

Images
    Though this is not technically correct, for me there are 2 types of hammocks on the market ( or commonly DIY):
    1: Gathered end and
    2: bridge
    ( not sure what you referred to by "Turk"? )
    I put HH,ENO,TTTM,Speer,Claytor,Clark,WB all in the 1st category.

However, the Claytor, TTM, ENO, and (dang, I've got one but can't think of the name right now, it is just like an ENO I hear! ) etc., etc. have a channel sewn in the end, with a suspension rope or webbing passed through this channel. There is a name for this type, can't think of that either. Where as the true gathered end have the ends folded together in some various fashions and then often tied in "end Knots", around which a rope is tied or webbing is sewn.

But I just call all of the later "gathered end" anyway, because I can't find a big enough difference in function and "lay" between the categories to bother keeping up with 2 different names. Usually, to a greater or lessor degree, if I am going to have a problem with for ex: a Claytor, I will have more or less the same type of problem with a HH or WarBonnet. Or, if there is some distinct advantage, I find more or less the same advantage with a WB,HH or Claytor.

The BIG difference is going to the bridge category. The bridge is the hands down winner in the "flat" ( flat head to foot like a bed) category, IMO. However, flat- while very important- is not the only important criteria. Bottom line, some folks prefer a bridge hands down as it the only one that completely solves what are- for some folks- significant negatives. Many others still prefer a gathered end hammock for either overall comfort, or several other factors. Like size of tarp required, or even type of insulation that can be used, etc.

Your best bet is to try several different G.End hammocks and a bridge, if you can find a way to do that. For many, easier said than dome, I realize.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 02-14-2011 at 20:44.

Hammock
    Ask me tomorrow
    Tarp
    Old Blue
    Insulation
    DIY, HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Agnostic
    Images
    Welcome to the hammock!

I have a bridge from JRB, which I call my limo-rig. I love this hammock. It gives me a roomy and flat lay that is delightful after a long day on the trail or at work. It's like being in the penthouse suite at the Ritz. The con, if you are into ultralight backpacking, is the spreader bars, but they aren't that heavy. It is also a little too wide for my monster fraankensmurf tarp, but I'm working on more pull-out customizations on my tarp to fit the bridge like a glove.

My DIY gathered end is awesome for those times I want a more compact rig. I lay surprisingly flat on a diagonal and have one end gathered whipped and one end "w" whipped, which does impact how my feet and shoulders ride. It takes some fiddling with various whipping styles to dial in the perfect hang. It fits all of my tarps well.

I just got a WBBB with the footbox, but haven't gotten to play with it much, yet (dag-nabbit!). I consider this a "best of both worlds" rig. The footbox gives my feet some extra room, but I still have the compactness of a non-bridge hammock. WB-guy (who's name is Brandon ) does fantastic work, fer sure.

I can't speak to an asym hammock, but it seems to me the cut would allow a better, more comfortable diagonal lay than a simple gathered end. If I had wider shoulders, I'd probably want this, but, as I said, the WBBB has a ton of room because of the footbox, so... (shrug) ... it works for me.

It's a pretty individual choice. I recommend finding a group hang to check out and trying out some of the rigs other folks have. It'll give you a good idea of the options out there and how comfortable they are for you.

Anyway, my best to you on your quest to find a suitable hammock!! Keep us updated!

Hammock
    JRB BM Bridge w/2QZQ JavaMan mod
    Tarp
    JRB Cat Tarp
    Although I am still considered a newby compared to a lot of folks on this site, I have been using the JRB Bear Mt Bridge for a couple of years. If you are absolutely a side sleeper like me, the flat lay of this hammock is awesome. There are 2 main problems with the Bridge that I have run into...I have long legs so the length from my hips to my knees causes a tight fit side to side when I draw my legs up sorta in a fetal position. I end up keeping one leg straight and one is kinda propped up on the side of the hammock. That bothers my back and causes knee pain and I end up flipping and flopping sometimes unless I am totally exhausted (I usually am on longer treks).

The second problem is the tarp. I have the JRB Cat tarp which is fairly large. It has good coverage and is great for a number of different set ups. However...6 stakes aggrevates me to set up when I am tired. I sometime can tie off to near by trees etc and not have to stake out all six. Another negative is when you need to snug your tarp in when it is windy or what not, the spreader bars bang into the sides of the tarp. You can drop the ends of the Cat tarp to enclose an end to block wind but have to control the swing of the hammock to keep the spreader bars from hitting the tarp. I can raise the tarp higher above the hammock and have more room, but then have to give up the wind blocking. Have not run across any good solutions to this problem yet.

I like that the UQ wraps up the sides quite nicely and then all you need is the TQ laying on top to create a nice toasty column of warmness. No matter how much you move around in the night, you stay warm. My hubby just got a Warbonnet Blackbird which supposedly you can lay pretty flat in, but due to weather, I have not had the opportunity to try it.

So there you go. I do love the Bridge overall despite the few draw back. Would love if anyone has a solution to my tarp or too tight in the middle issues.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Meander View Post
    Although I am still considered a newby compared to a lot of folks on this site, I have been using the JRB Bear Mt Bridge for a couple of years. If you are absolutely a side sleeper like me, the flat lay of this hammock is awesome. There are 2 main problems with the Bridge that I have run into...I have long legs so the length from my hips to my knees causes a tight fit side to side when I draw my legs up sorta in a fetal position. I end up keeping one leg straight and one is kinda propped up on the side of the hammock. That bothers my back and causes knee pain and I end up flipping and flopping sometimes unless I am totally exhausted (I usually am on longer treks).

The second problem is the tarp. I have the JRB Cat tarp which is fairly large. It has good coverage and is great for a number of different set ups. However...6 stakes aggrevates me to set up when I am tired. I sometime can tie off to near by trees etc and not have to stake out all six. Another negative is when you need to snug your tarp in when it is windy or what not, the spreader bars bang into the sides of the tarp. You can drop the ends of the Cat tarp to enclose an end to block wind but have to control the swing of the hammock to keep the spreader bars from hitting the tarp. I can raise the tarp higher above the hammock and have more room, but then have to give up the wind blocking. Have not run across any good solutions to this problem yet.

I like that the UQ wraps up the sides quite nicely and then all you need is the TQ laying on top to create a nice toasty column of warmness. No matter how much you move around in the night, you stay warm. My hubby just got a Warbonnet Blackbird which supposedly you can lay pretty flat in, but due to weather, I have not had the opportunity to try it.

So there you go. I do love the Bridge overall despite the few draw back. Would love if anyone has a solution to my tarp or too tight in the middle issues.
    You could add side pull outs on the tarp....that really helps. When I use my GrizzBridge hammock I am happy for them.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    JRB BM Bridge w/2QZQ JavaMan mod
    Tarp
    JRB Cat Tarp
    Nice Shug! I saw that tarp set up on one of your videos and wondered if that would work. I am not out in the extreme cold (about 35 at night is my limit...I am skinny and I freeze easily). I usually will hang my tarp high enough to stand upright under, but there are those windy days that I want to drop it down and close off an end or two. I will look into adding the side pullouts. THANKS!
    BTY, love your videos, very informative and highly amusing! I am thinking you are the Robin Williams of hammocking!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast