Hammock
    DH Sparrow, Darian
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    This is what I planned to do, Billy Bob. I'm still not quite getting this VB concept.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Won't using the sil-nyl UQP as a VB(between hammock and quilt) loose the wind/water proof benefits in heavy wind/wind driven rain snow? Wouldn't it make more sense to just always use it with a $3, 2-3 oz space blanket as the VB function, while the UQP stays outside everything else, providing the quilt protection? Especially if your tarp was on the small side?
    Messing with VB is just too risky for me. If one does it wrong something is going to get wet. For me the only thing that should be waterproof is the tarp.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by whayneneal View Post
    This is what I planned to do, Billy Bob. I'm still not quite getting this VB concept.
    OK, I would avoid any VB until I was sure I understood the approach. Really pretty simple, but does seem to work better for some folks than others for some reason. There is an entire sticky here you should study, by Youngblood for one. And Dejoha maybe?

Main two concepts are:
    1: no significant insulation between you and the VB. Insulation between you and the VB is at risk for getting wet from sweat ( if you are too warm) and maybe from condensation. In fact, one of the major benefits of a VB is keeping body sweat or condensation out of your insulation while doing away with evaporative cooling, making you warmer.

2: Keep the VB on the warm side of as much as possible. If it is warm, there is not going to be any condensation. Vapor condenses against cold surfaces (dew point). So, even if ( like with a HH Supershelter) I have some small amount of insulation between me and the VB ( a space blanket)- like say a fleece jacket I sleep in or the bottom layer of a sleeping bag- I have never had any condensation. Because, there is still plenty of insulation on the other (out) side of the space blanket, so my body heat keeps the space bl. warm. But caution, it is still best to keep the insulation to a minimum if you think you might sweat.

But if I remove the inner space blanket, the outer sil-nylon HHSS under cover (much like a sil-nylon UQP) will now function as the VB. And it will be a cold surface. Condensation is virtually guaranteed under those circumstances. Don't use an OUTER sil-nylon layer ( like a sil-nylon UQP) unless you also use another VB ( like a space blanket) between the hammock and the under quilt. If you do, condensation on the cold UQP will likely more than negate any benefits from blocking wind and external moisture (fog, wind blown snow) that manages to get past your tarp.

Clear as mud, right?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Messing with VB is just too risky for me. If one does it wrong something is going to get wet. For me the only thing that should be waterproof is the tarp.
    So you use the breathable UQP, right?

I love VBs(space blanket) for the most part. The approach has worked flawlessly for ME for the last 4 1/2 years with my HHSS, and also inside my PeaPod. I have never had any moisture problems. And in fact, I think it has helped keep my insulation bone dry on week long trips with temps in the 20s( or shorter tests down to 10). My friend, also using a PeaPod but no SB, was starting to worry about moisture/loss of loft in the pod by the last day of the trip. Mine looked just like day 1.

But, I admit, some folks have had trouble with the same approach. So, YMMV! Caution: Safe testing advised!

Hammock
    Dutch Netless
    Tarp
    HNO Sock
    Insulation
    HG/HNO/UGQ
    Suspension
    Not Lately
    Images
    Thanks, BillyBob.
    Clearer than mud! More like tannic water now!

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    Hex Fly / Stock HH
    Insulation
    3SBurrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    WS's/ET's
    Would it be possible to just make a large enough pack cover to fit over the UQ? Seems to me that would emiminate some material and provide a snug fit but not so snug that it compresses the down. Just a thought.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    So you use the breathable UQP, right?

I love VBs(space blanket) for the most part. The approach has worked flawlessly for ME for the last 4 1/2 years with my HHSS, and also inside my PeaPod. I have never had any moisture problems. And in fact, I think it has helped keep my insulation bone dry on week long trips with temps in the 20s( or shorter tests down to 10). My friend, also using a PeaPod but no SB, was starting to worry about moisture/loss of loft in the pod by the last day of the trip. Mine looked just like day 1.

But, I admit, some folks have had trouble with the same approach. So, YMMV! Caution: Safe testing advised!
    If I am using my HH exped with SS I would be using the SB VB since the SS is also a VB. Without the SB I did get allot of condensation in my under insulation.
    Now a days I just like to avoid any possibility. With breathable hammock material, UQ, and breathable UQ protectors there just no worrying about condensation.

In fact I don't even think about condensation anymore. Well....OK I'm still getting a little on my bag at the foot do to the CCF pad I use.
    On my next trip out I plan to try an open cell pad 18"x24" and see if I can end all my condensation issues once and for all.

Hope my comments haven't diverted the original topic too badly.
    Last edited by OutandBack; 02-22-2011 at 00:14.

Woohoo! Just got my shipment notice!
    I will have it in time to show it off at the Ozark Hang!

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Suspension
    Stock HH
    Just picked my new UQC and Mod2s. Top quality workmanship. Thanks, Donna!

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Just to revive this thread...
    Ordered a 2Q/ZQ breathable UQP! Can't wait for it to arrive.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast