Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Hennesy Ultralight Assm
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Hennesy Hammock with Jacks R Better Complete Suspension

......nOOb advisory.......

I've used my hammock a few times in Baja, Costa Rica, and Death Valley (ususally with my motorcycle) and I'm now getting around to changing the suspension. I opted to go with Jacks R Better Complete Suspension. I probably should have done a bit more research, but alas here's my questions.

According to JRB (http://www.jacksrbetter.com/HammockSuspensionSystem.htm) they show using the fixed loop at the hammock and the whoopie sling closer to the tree. What is the best method for attaching a fixed loop to the HH? If I follow a similar proceedure to that shown at 2:21 here (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=13116) with 2-1/2 wraps I can get it work but have little to no room at the end to make the final loop through. Is there a better way? Perhaps only 1-1/2 wraps or maybe a larks head using both the HH holes? Shurg.

Conversely, I could omit the fixed loop altogether and just attach the fixed end of the whoopie directly to the hammock using the same method as in the video above.

In either case though (fixed loop or not), neither appear to present a solution as how to attach the rainfly slider. Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    I just added my JRB suspension a few months ago but I truly don't remember how exactly I attached it. I spent a lot of time looking at various videos for attaching the fixed eye of a whoopie to the HH. Then kind of extrapolated from there by using the continuous loop.

I believe I took the continuous loop and sort of combined a larks head along with two wraps that fed through the double holes of the HH (does that make sense). Hopefully someone has some better instructions or a photo.

With the new JRB setup my minimum hang length is quite a bit longer. I tried to squeeze between two trees at the FL hang and found my bottom on the ground with the whoopies totally shortened.

The rainfly will most likely need a separate pair of tieouts or a ridgeline. You can probably rig up some other prussics to attach the fly but the standard HH ones don't grip well on the amsteel.

Once you get the kinks worked out you'll be so glad you swapped out the suspension. This is by far the best mod to date (followed closely by the 2QZQ zipper mod).

Happy Hanging....
    Last edited by zukiguy; 02-16-2011 at 21:25.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    With the H hammocks, having a longer loop makes life alot easier. With a channel (ENO, Clark, Switchback) or whipped (WB hammocks) you can get away, IIRC, about an 8" end to end loop.

With the HH, you need about 12" due to the way it attaches to the hammock and the little covers that cover it all up, the snake skins etc. You can get it done with a shorter loop by eliminating one of the OE wraps through the holes, but that still doesnt leave you alot of room outside the little cover.

EDIT: looks like JRB's loops are 12". I dont remember exactly how much longer I made the loops for HH over a standard loop. Its been to long.

Hammock
    Hennesy Ultralight Assm
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks for the advice guys. I'll keep playing around with the set up and see what I can get worked out such that it makes the most sense.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    The tarp is best tied to the trees separately.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY 4-Season, HG
    Insulation
    DIY UQ Down
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings/WBB
    Images
    I don't know much about the solution to your problem, but I DO want to reserve the nickname, "SHURG" from your post. Brilliant!
    Haywire is my trail name, but I can't change it. Ha.

Hammock
    Hennesy Ultralight Assm
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    .....long delay.....

Ok I'm back at it after using my tent 2up for a while.....

Last night I just came across these instructions on JRB webpage that specifally address how to attach the continous loop to a HH (http://www.jacksrbetter.com/document...structions.pdf).

After removing the existing HH knot the text states the following,

Fold the narrow end of the 12” Utility Loop in half and pass it through the hole(s) where you removed the hammock end cord and around the hammock end inboard of the first hole and then back under itself. Next pass the end of the 12” Utility Loop through the loop in the end of the ridge line cord. Now pass the opposite end (the thicker end) of the 12” Utility Loop through the remaining loop in the end of the narrow end of the 12” Utility Loop and cinch tight. Slip the “sock” back over the knot with the end of the 12” Utility Loop sticking out the end hole. We recommend NOT securing with a plastic tie so that you can routinely inspect your suspension
    Does this make sense to anyone? Got some pics to show what you did?

The part that throws me off the most is the first line, fold the narrow end in half. If I'm reading that correctly that means I'm passing essentially 4 sections of utility line through the first whole in which I run out of loop really fast since I'm essentially working with only half the full length. Here's some photos when you fold the line in half, then pass it through the holes.

Here you can see 4 sets of line through both holes with a both the narrow and thick end loops still on the far right. The black loop is the ridge line.

Now if I don't fold the narrow end in half then it seems to make a lot more sense.

I'm assuming I was just reading the first line of folding a loop in half incorrectly and the the second set of photos is what JRB was intending. Thoughts?

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    I think you want to end up with a wrap around the outside of the cloth bundle or you risk gradual failure as the center rips out.

Hammock
    Hennesy Ultralight Assm
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Here it is with an extra wrap (1-1/2 total). Essentially the same thing I did back in Feb prior to my finding posted written instructions on JRB's website.

Hammock
    HH DJ XL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3 Tarp
    Insulation
    Pad (for now)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Just converted my HH with the JRB kit as well. Followed the information below (thanks kiecker! ).

Here's the result:
    HH with Continuous Loop Mod.jpg

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast