Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images

Call me Grizz

Following the lead of shug and Doctari, I'll do an introduction even though I'm a long time member.

Here's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

In the spring of 2006 I was buying gear for me and two sons for a backpacking trek on the BSA Philmont ranch. In searching for quilts I stumbled across the Jacks-R-Better site and saw these pictures of things that looked like they belonged in a Star Wars movie--- Hennessy hammocks. Bought JRB quilts for the trek, and remembered the funny pictures.

In the spring of 2007 I was planning for a backpacking adventure we three would do on our own, on the AT in the White Mountains. We used to live a couple of hours from there, knew what it would be like r.e. camping, and I thought of those hammocks. Seemed like a great idea, just camp off trail and not mess with established camp sites. Found and joined HF, did lots of searching on line, and ended up with 3 HH Explorers, and the trip was a big
    success using them. My current avatar is the three of us at the summit of Mt. Washington.

In the summer of 2007 there came to be a lot of buzz on HF about a new style of hammock, the "bridge hammock". JRB had shown one at Trail Days in Damascus and some HF folks had seen it. TeeDee found a picture and a set of instructions for DIY bridge style hammocks on an Australian Heritage Ships site, and started posting about his experiments building it.

I found the bridge hammock really interesting because of the promise of stomach sleeping (which is my bed-method), and well, just because it is a bit of engineering. While I'd never sewed before, I thought that using TeeDee's posts as a guide I could learn. So my first sewing project was a bridge hammock. I had the good sense to retire it as soon as I saw a seam begin to tear, after about the 4th hang! I've gotten better...

What a gas it was to exchange ideas on HF about bridge hammock designs, try one thing and report it, try another and report that. A thousand flowers blossomed! Being somewhat of a tongue in cheek cut-up, one of my
    favorite stunts was a post that revealed a new design, but led into it
    claiming I'd joined the Claytor Hammock Cult (which used to have a vocal
    presence here).

I should also say that in those early years I absorbed everything that was posted about hiking and camping. I was getting back into the game after a too-long hiatus. While the character of HF has changed some over these years, one that has not is the constant sharing of real knowledge about all sorts of things, and that frankly is why I'm still here, still picking up a nugget every now and then, and sharing one every once and a while too.

So in addition to the well-deserved reputation for posting virtually every idea I had about bridge hammocks---whether good or bad---I have a well deserved reputation for liking to get on the business side of a video camera.
    There's a background story on that too. In the summer of 2008, Youngblood used a google patent search function to uncover a whole bunch of patents dating from the mid-nineteenth century on hammocks. Iafte had the idea of having a contest where contestants would build hammocks described in the patents.

I choose one that was an early bridge design. As it was not especially clever (like the famed and fabled Dutch "Bridgeskin", which won the contest) I thought to promote the entry best I'd make a video. It is on a "scratch" youtube channel, not on the ProfessorHammock channel, so I'll embed it here in case you want to see a losing entry...

The video making bug bit, I developed a youtube persona "ProfessorHammock" and make videos every now and then. The "professor" part of the moniker is no accident, that's my job, in a big research university, where I'm now the director of a institute focused on computer security. It's been a while since I made a video,
    it's about time for another. I have a couple of new stoves to play with, and I've been wanting to do a "Making of a GrizzBridge" series for a while....

These days I don't have (or make) the time for DIY projects I once did. There's a long projects list...I don't get out to hike as much as I'd like, but with my youngest son getting to an age where he can carry his own gear I hope I can instill in him the same love for long hikes in the woods that I have.

I make a fast pass through HF once or twice a day now, more on weekends. The days of reading every post are very long gone. I'm not as active as I once was, but I'm still here. This is a great community. I have friends here I've yet to meet in person, but thanks to the travel that comes with my job, also a bunch that I've been able to rub elbows with at a few hangs. I'm a hand-shake away from a bunch of the greats here...been at Mt. Rogers and MAHHA with the Jacks, a couple of times hung with Ed Speer, done a weekend hike with Stormcrow and his brood, another with Dutch where we faced down a black bear, enjoyed both hiking and canoeing with fin, braved the spirits on Browning Hill with Mule, at least three times Doctari and I have hung together, I have meet all the moderators and hung with three of them, really enjoyed 2Q's company on one of the Mt. Rogers hangs.

That's it for now, heading back into fast pass mode.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Awesome Grizz. I'm a huge fan of your videos and learned quite a lot from them. It's great to hear your story and thanks for all your help in educating us in hammocks.

Fronkey

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    hey Grizz, thank you for sharing all your experience with us.
    i have decided to return to the wilderness after a 20ish year break. your videos have been a great help. i always wanted to hammock camp (in the 70's - 90's) but i was young and uneducated then. now that i'm old and achy, hammocks rule.
    your trail blazing has helped to lead hundreds of happy campers to comfort between 2 trees.
    thanks again.

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images

Talking

Mighty fine Grizz ... mighty fine ... seems to me that's the same hammock that cured your hunchback if I'm not mistaken

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Quote Originally Posted by Fronkey View Post
    Awesome Grizz. I'm a huge fan of your videos and learned quite a lot from them. It's great to hear your story and thanks for all your help in educating us in hammocks.

Fronkey
    +1 on ^^^. Your passion for the subjects of your videos is evident. So your video making bug has turned out to be a video watching bug for me...

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Rhino
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    HammockGear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks for story Grizz. Hope you find more time for hiking soon. All work and no play . . .

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Cuben rag
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    Great write up Grizz !
    I also like the videos you throw out from time to time !

Thanks for sharing

PS, you taught me that sentence
    Moski, who no longer feels the Secret Ninja Ski emptiness..............
    B/C he got them now

Images
    Your videos and insights have been of great benefit to me and many others on here. The sharing of knowledge, trials and errors on here are both compelling and amazing.

Thanks for sharing and I hope to catch up with you at one of these group hangs in the future!

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    We've missed you since your visit to Mt Rogers three years ago, Grizz!
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    Thanks for all the great information you provide Grizz. What a great story. I hope your feet meet the trail and you get to hang between two trees soon.
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast