Multiple Warbonnet Hammocks
    Tarp
    ZPacks
    Insulation
    JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Kettle Moraine, WI - Help

I'm scheduled to go camping in Kettle Moraine, WI (Northern Unit) this weekend on the Ice Age Trail. We have set it up that a group of us is backpacking and another group is paralleling us on a nearby road and they are car camping. Kettle Moraine is saying that we need to use local firewood. Does anyone know where to purchase it nearby this time of year? Our group isn't familiar with the local area at all. We can pick up firewood off the ground but I'm guessing it's either going to be really wet or still under snow cover.

Also, KM mandates shelter camping in the section we are going but allows tents to be set up next to the shelter. Anyone know if they allow hammocks?

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    If it were me I'd take the "forgiveness over permission" approach, when it comes to hanging a hammock somewhere tents are allowed.
    I can't speak for things over there, but a lot of grocery stores and hardware stores etc. have fire wood by the bundle around here.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Make sure and file a report. I've had my eyes turned toward the IAT since reading about it's conception in NatGeo. Heard conflicting reports, but KM always comes in with a thumbs up
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    WB BBXLC and DIY
    Tarp
    UP
    Insulation
    DOWN
    Suspension
    30 DEGREES
    hammocks are fine to use but if you are backpacking I would not recommend hauling wood into the woods. It just isn't necessary. Get a decent folding saw (i use a sven saw) and there are plenty of fallen trees with exposed wood to use.

Hammock
    Multiple Warbonnet Hammocks
    Tarp
    ZPacks
    Insulation
    JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by CryOTheWild View Post
    hammocks are fine to use but if you are backpacking I would not recommend hauling wood into the woods. It just isn't necessary. Get a decent folding saw (i use a sven saw) and there are plenty of fallen trees with exposed wood to use.
    The concern is that we get there and all the downed wood in buried under snow. We're not sure what type of base layer will be left by this weekend. One guy built a pulk and has volunteered to haul in the wood from the supply van that is due to meet us at each shelter.

We are going to arrive early enough Friday to evaluate the situation and adjust accordingly.

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Spent most of my trips to KMSP in the southern unit. No problem buying wood at a local gas or convenient store. By Fall most of the wood is picked over, but in the Winter there are always a few trees that fall to help supplement the fire. The shelters are located near the parking areas for easy maintenance. It's pretty fast to go back to the car for wood or water. I've stashed it in the woods near shelters that I was packing to (mostly water). Another time when the kids were young I took them Winter camping. Loaded up the red wagon and dragged it in. Hammock camping was never a problem and the Northern unit had a lot more room to choose from around the shelter. After you see the dust that's kicked up inside the shelter you will be glad you'll be sleeping in a hammock. If they are smart they will set up a tent outside. Have fun, it's a pretty walk up there. Let me know if you have any other questions.
    Oms

Hammock
    WB BBXLC and DIY
    Tarp
    UP
    Insulation
    DOWN
    Suspension
    30 DEGREES
    There are lots of farmers in the area selling cheep firewood also there is a BP station just south of long lake on highway 67 in Dundee that has wood for sale. DNR says that there is lots of dead free standing wood but there is still a substantial amount of snow as the ski trails are still open.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    OES4S
    Insulation
    Mummy+underquilt
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images

Was just in KM weekend before the blizzard

There was plenty of downed and dead wood the weekend before the big snowmageddon. we had no trouble. I also hammocked just outside the shelter.

Hammock
    HH Explorer
    Insulation
    Dow Corning R-21;)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Keep your eyes open for firewood for sale in front yards, payment is typically on the honor system.

Most of the shelter sites that I have visited there are not very tent friendly, so a hammock should be perfect.

Hammock
    WBBB (1.7,1.1) Nx-200 and ENO DN
    Tarp
    Superfly and MJ
    Insulation
    Pad and HG UQ
    Suspension
    Straps with mods
    There are homeowners/farmers with firewood stands out. you'll have to look close for some.
    Hammocks are not a problem. The good places to hang are by shelter 3 to the right of the shelter door, look left and go to the little ridge about 50 yds in. Shelter 5 has the best options. Anywhere will work.
    I was thinking about heading in there myself this weekend for an overnighter. Still might happen.

There's an Appleton Backpacker meetup group I just joined. I was going to see if I could catch them somewhere along the trail and just say hello.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast