Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    One man's logic is another man's fallacy. Do what gets you in the woods. I change how I do things sometimes, when I feel like it. Then sometimes I go back. Most important, I just want to hang in the woods, paddle my boat. Paddle your own canoe.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Quote Originally Posted by canoebie View Post
    One man's logic is another man's fallacy. Do what gets you in the woods. I change how I do things sometimes, when I feel like it. Then sometimes I go back. Most important, I just want to hang in the woods, paddle my boat. Paddle your own canoe.
    Amen, different strokes for different folks buddy.

Hammock
    dd frontline
    Tarp
    fox tarp
    Insulation
    thermarest prolite
    Suspension
    rings and webbing
    thanks all of you for the responses. Some good insights. I thought I was missing something, but in the end it seems it is just weighing your options against each other, in this case weight, bulk, expense and convenience.

The wear part is something I hadn't thought about, but I did not have any problems so far, it's something you will see coming anyway just by inspecting you setup.

Some extra info from my part:
    When doing webbing, I don't use that long a piece of webbing.
    Right now, I've switched to whoopie slings (granted, I've only used them at home since I made them) and will only carry a short piece of webbing maybe 1 meter.
    Two loops in the webbing with one soft shackle in one loop will make it easy to attach my whoopie to the soft shackle without using the marlin spike hitch with a piece of aluminium. To me it seemed like the most weight efficient solution (low noise also, no metal parts banging against each other) which I like, but indeed, it's not the fastest setup compared to a carabiner etc.

Hammock
    Woodsman X single
    Tarp
    Cuben Z-packs
    Insulation
    Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Toggles
    I use a carabiner because if i just thread tru the loop i have to re thread my adjustment buckels at the hammock(WBBB) where as with my carabiner/dutch clip i can leave it all threaded and just throw my webbing round the tree and snap it back over itself.
    However if i had a different hammock i sopose i could loose the biners all together!!!
    Don't mess with Mother Nature as we are small and biodegradable!

http://ukhammocks.com

Mats YouTube Channel
    "Making it a great night in the woods!"

Images
    imo, biners are needed (but not required) if using a all webbing suspension (or similar one-piece system) you have to pull a ton of webbing through the loop and besides that you have to re-thread your hardware (buckles/rings) everytime. in this case the biner/DC saves alot of time and is definately worth it.

however, if it's just a 6 foot tree strap then adding the biner saves little to no time and the only advantege is saving wear on your straps.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12