TrekLight Double /DIY HH/DIY WBBB
    Tarp
    GuideGear 12'x12'
    Insulation
    JCP DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling 7/64

DIY - Final Steps for first time DYI'r

Many thanks first off for several of your posts, threads, shared experiences, and videos. I have almost completed my first two hammocks with 1.1 and 1.5 oz ripstop from my new friend Scott @ BWDD.

The first hammock is a simple gathered-end hammock in which I hemmed all the sides, and added a channel to each end. This was my trial run with some Joanne's Fabric 1.9oz ripstop (with coupon). Simplistic in nature, I ran some paracord through the channel and wrapped the end with a 5 or 6 turns, with bight at one end, I tightened as hard as I could... still seems loose. I have read someone pulled the twine (?) from inside the paracord, and used the shell... may have to try that. Any feedback on a gathered-end channel tie off?

The second hammock is based on the sticky Hennessey asym hammock - made with 1.5oz from BWDD. Definitely like the feel of the fabric. However, I have few questions -
    • Asym - Even though I measured 14" not 13" from center, the diagonal pocket seems very small and doesn't seem to provide a purpose . What is the benefits with this design, or is my layout just off?
    • Similar to the first hammock above, I used paracord to wrap the end (without adding a channel) - I used the folded W approached. Wasn't tight enough to my liking, so I used a zip-tie and not really comfortable with my larks head pushing on this... comments?
    • Zipppers - Oh boy do I have questions... I figure I need at least 7 yards of #3 or #5 coil zipper for this hammock, and my next one (WBBB DIY). Are the zippers easy to cut, apply the ends, and snap the two-way zipper on?

Right now until my Amsteel comes in (thanks Opie), I am using paracord with two steel rings, and a webbing from Scott as well. I have wrapped the paracord twice around the steel rings, before tieing together with a double fisherman's knot. Am I crazy in using paracord until the Amsteel comes in for a 200# person?

Many thanks for reading this post - you guys are great. I am looking forward to seeing if there are any hangs in Utah, or I might have to give Paul a visit in Idaho at the second annual.

Hammock
    DIY DL gthrd end, zip-off bugnet
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole (Camo)
    Insulation
    Pad and bag (FL!)
    Suspension
    Hugger + whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by samjaynes View Post
    Any feedback on a gathered-end channel tie off?
    I had great results on my ENO by running a single length of 1/8" Amsteel through the end channel TWICE, leaving enough to splice the ends together and create an open-sided loop. Next, I pinched the sides of the loop together and tied a simple overhand knot as close to the gather as I could. Once you load it, this configuration tightens down amazingly well and stays tight.

[*]Asym - Even though I measured 14" not 13" from center, the diagonal pocket seems very small and doesn't seem to provide a purpose . What is the benefits with this design, or is my layout just off?
    I'm assuming by "diagonal pockets" you mean the side tieouts? They are simply a means to pull the hammock/bugnet away from you while you're in the hammock and give you a roomier feel. I use them to keep the fabric away from my face/arms so mosquitoes don't nail me through the hammock body. It doesn't affect the lay and many people don't use them at all.

Similar to the first hammock above, I used paracord to wrap the end (without adding a channel) - I used the folded W approached. Wasn't tight enough to my liking, so I used a zip-tie and not really comfortable with my larks head pushing on this... comments?
    For my DIY gathered end, I made big 24" Amsteel continuous loosp and double-larks headed them on the gather. This actually stays tight when not loaded and creates a loop onto which the fixed loop of a whoopie can be clipped.

Zipppers - Oh boy do I have questions... I figure I need at least 7 yards of #3 or #5 coil zipper for this hammock, and my next one (WBBB DIY). Are the zippers easy to cut, apply the ends, and snap the two-way zipper on?
    Surprisingly easy! I figured out zipper installation with no experience and some minor finagling. I just bought a big roll of #3 coil and sewed it along the side of the hammock until I got to the end channel. Then I got some wire-cutters and snipped it flush. Installing the pulls was a learning experience (I broke one in half widening it) -- although they an be installed in either direction, they can only be installed FACING in one direction (that's the best way I can explain it w/o photos).

Right now until my Amsteel comes in (thanks Opie), I am using paracord with two steel rings, and a webbing from Scott as well. I have wrapped the paracord twice around the steel rings, before tieing together with a double fisherman's knot. Am I crazy in using paracord until the Amsteel comes in for a 200# person?
    Probably not going to break on you but paracord is nylon so it streeeeeeeetches.

Hammock
    TrekLight Double /DIY HH/DIY WBBB
    Tarp
    GuideGear 12'x12'
    Insulation
    JCP DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling 7/64
    Quote Originally Posted by Nclarkii View Post
    I had great results on my ENO by running a single length of 1/8" Amsteel through the end channel TWICE, leaving enough to splice the ends together and create an open-sided loop. Next, I pinched the sides of the loop together and tied a simple overhand knot as close to the gather as I could. Once you load it, this configuration tightens down amazingly well and stays tight.
    Interesting - I will have to look into it, and how to splice with little room. I have shy'd away from knots in Amsteel since Paul recommend not to, and limited to only a few knots.

For my DIY gathered end, I made big 24" Amsteel continuous loosp and double-larks headed them on the gather. This actually stays tight when not loaded and creates a loop onto which the fixed loop of a whoopie can be clipped.
    Thanks - What are benefits of attaching the whoopie to the loop vs. simply attaching the whoopie directly to the hammock with a larks head, or double larks head as you explained? I have thought of using your approach with SMC rings so I have both a webbing or whoopie option.

Surprisingly easy! ....
    Music to my ears... I may need the hammock right away. The time I have spent researching, ordering, sewing, trying out... my wife may want my hammock attached to the doghouse as my permanent residence.