Tarp
    Edge
    Insulation
    Burrow 40 & yeti
    Suspension
    Straps& dutch clip
    Images

New Tarp and Hammock project

OK ... so I've made a few hammocks, nothing to write home about, but they were ok .... and I've read DIY threads until I'm half blind ...... so, although I'm a bit aprehensive, I'm going to start my new Tarp and Hammock project this weekend.

Tarp:

I'm see sawing back and forth between Maccat Micro clone and Long Asym .... but I think the Maccat Micro clone is winning. I've scored some 68" wide 30d Double coated Sil from Seattle Fabrics and I'm basing the tarp on the DIY small hex tarp thread on this site. However, I'm going to add some length to compensate for the new hammock design and make it 144 inches long before cutting. I hope to get a tarp somewhere in between the Maccat standard and micro.

Hammock:

This was a tough decision with all the great info and projects out there. I've built a Headchange4U Hennesy clone (on a diet) but didn't care for the DIY slit in the bottom I decided to add to it ... it was great up until then.

I've modified my GT Ultra with HH style tie outs to go with the HH tarp, however, realizing that the Ultralight is not ripstop, and seeing as I just put a whole bunch of holes in the fabric, I don't think I want to trust this thing out in the backcountry .... perhaps a car camping trip first?

I've read and reread the BB clone and the gathered end clone threads, however, I have decided on a Hybrid design of the Switchback, a gathered end hammock, and the HH clone.

Starting with a 24 ft of 1.1 ounce 60 inch Ripstop from Backwoodsdaydreamer (Great service by the way), I'm going to cut two matching parallelograms 11 ft long with 12 inches (triangles) off the ends on opposite sides. Each side will be 11 ft long, but offset from each other by 1 ft. Add a zippered Bugnet to one side.

Following that I am going to do headchange4U's HH clone fold and whip the ends.

Clator type bugnet. Still debating ... a separate bug net with shock cord around the bottom sounds attractive as well simply for the ease of assembly.

6 ft whoopies are already complete.

With luck this should provide a very comfortable flat lay in a quick built, but very robust, reasonably light package.

Lastly .... modified black bishop style sacks for both the tarp and the hammock. When I say modified I'm going to make the bishop sacks with two compartments in each. Open the drawstring on one end and you'll find the whoopie sling and treehugger for one end of the hammock. the Whoopie will pass through a "bottom" into the second, larger compartment where the Hammock, second whoopie sling and tree hugger will reside. Same for the tarp and tarp ridgeline.

I don't know if anyone has done this before (I suspect so), but I see the advantage of putting up the "blind" end suspension then being able to pull the hammock body out of the sack as you walk away from the tree, making it easier to keep the hammock off the ground, gaining at least one of the positive aspects I like about snake skins in a bishop sack.

A separate bugnet (if I go this way) would ride in the bottom of the larger compartment on the bishop sack, prethreaded on the whoopie sling .. that way it can be deployed easily from the bishop sack over the hammock if required, but left stowed if not.

I'll post pictures as I go in this thread.
    Many a good hanging prevents a bad marriage
    William Shakespeare

"Insert witty and intelligent statement here"

Hammock
    DIY FrankenBird + 5 other DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Sounds like a lot of thought went into this, indeed.
    Can't wait to see the pictures.

FWIW, I just finished a long asym tarp and am struggling a bit to sort out a preference in your two options.
    It really depends on how you intend to use it.
    I made the asym as a light option for good weather (warm, dry) use, or when I want a very light tarp.
    For a bit more coverage I made an Ogee. Still fairly light, but better coverage and more pitching options that I can wrap my head around.
    My HH Hex clone is for when I need more coverage (will be adding doors/vestibules soon).

If I had 68" wide sil and could have only one, I would make an Ogee. That wide with big triangles on the sides would be a great compromise between weight and coverage, with doors on the ends. (it is basically a diamond with little door flaps on each end)
    Dang it! Now you've got me wanting to get some extra wide sil and make another Ogee.
    More info here:
    http://gear-report.com/how-to-make-a...ock-tarp-myog/

The two tarps you mentioned are pretty different, in my mind. In my limited experience, everything is pretty different than an asym.
    I was also intrigued by the DIY Small Hex thread.
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

My outdoor gear review site http://gear-report.com
    Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

Sounds awesome! Will be waiting on the reports and pics.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Sounds like you got yourself a good project. Can't wait to see the finished products.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Edge
    Insulation
    Burrow 40 & yeti
    Suspension
    Straps& dutch clip
    Images
    I'm struggling a bit with the pictures .... It looks like an diamond tarp with large beaks? Is it an asym diamond?

My tarp thoughts are what tarp would I like to carry most of the time? Weathermen in Texas are never right and when it rains it's usually several inches straight down.

What fair weather tarp would I carry on a thru hike?

Quote Originally Posted by rjcress View Post
    Sounds like a lot of thought went into this, indeed.
    Can't wait to see the pictures.

FWIW, I just finished a long asym tarp and am struggling a bit to sort out a preference in your two options.
    It really depends on how you intend to use it.
    I made the asym as a light option for good weather (warm, dry) use, or when I want a very light tarp.
    For a bit more coverage I made an Ogee. Still fairly light, but better coverage and more pitching options that I can wrap my head around.
    My HH Hex clone is for when I need more coverage (will be adding doors/vestibules soon).

If I had 68" wide sil and could have only one, I would make an Ogee. That wide with big triangles on the sides would be a great compromise between weight and coverage, with doors on the ends. (it is basically a diamond with little door flaps on each end)
    Dang it! Now you've got me wanting to get some extra wide sil and make another Ogee.
    More info here:
    http://gear-report.com/how-to-make-a...ock-tarp-myog/

The two tarps you mentioned are pretty different, in my mind. In my limited experience, everything is pretty different than an asym.
    I was also intrigued by the DIY Small Hex thread.
    William Shakespeare

Hammock
    DIY FrankenBird + 5 other DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Captn View Post
    I'm struggling a bit with the pictures .... It looks like an diamond tarp with large beaks? Is it an asym diamond?

My tarp thoughts are what tarp would I like to carry most of the time? Weathermen in Texas are never right and when it rains it's usually several inches straight down.

What fair weather tarp would I carry on a thru hike?
    Maybe this will help (click any image for a larger version):

When set up in the standard configuration, it looks like this...
    with doors closed:

or like this with one door open:
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

My outdoor gear review site http://gear-report.com
    Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Edge
    Insulation
    Burrow 40 & yeti
    Suspension
    Straps& dutch clip
    Images
    Interesting .....

This looks like it would be a natural with cuben.

What weight did you get out of it?
    William Shakespeare

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Can't wait to see that hammock. Lots of pics please.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Captn, you have a nice project going there!

I made both an asym diamond and a small hex and personally I prefer the small hex. (I've posted it in my gallery). I pitches much tighter than the diamond.

I have a SwitchBack & it is comfy. And, I have 68" wide material on it's way from BWDD to make the same hammock! With the wider material, I am going to slice off a 15" triangle from each edge. I'm leaning toward sewing a channel in the ends, but not sure, I may gather & whip it. I want my finished hammock to be at least 10'-9" long.

I'll be watching your progress in this thread!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Edge
    Insulation
    Burrow 40 & yeti
    Suspension
    Straps& dutch clip
    Images
    I should of had the 68! :0)

I ordered the olive at 64 inches wide .... Didn't even notice that the camo was wider or I would have gone that direction!

Material is due in today, picked up thread last night .... Getting excited now....

Love the hex by the way ..... The ogee looks cool but I'm a sucker for a tight hex (no jokes please!)
    William Shakespeare

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast