Hammock
    Hennessy (with mods)
    Tarp
    standard HH
    Insulation
    working on it
    Suspension
    standard (for now)
    The Kaibab Forest is a working forest. There are lots of forest service roads through out the area. We were able to drive over to an area called Temp Point and pitch a tent on the rim but there are many such areas along the rim. When we were there, these "developed camp sites" were really nothing but a slightly cleared off area where one could pitch a tent under the ponderosas. However, like I said before, you can camp anywhere inside a national forest.

Highway 89 at Jacob Lake, AZ takes you to the entrance to the North Rim. Along that 40+ mile drive, you will see several forest service roads leading to right and left along the road. The best way to find your way is to stop in Jacob Lake at the welcome center an ask a ranger or buy a map of the Kiabab Plateau. The rangers can also be called ahead of time to check on road closures. If you are still planning on mid-March, I bet the roads may be closed due to snow. The Kaibab Plateau is at 8000 feet (2400 meters) and snow tends to hang around at that elevation. My wife has taken a picture of me standing in 8 inches of snow in the forest in mid-May!

Hope this helps,
    Dave

Search the net for Kaibab National Forest and you will find phone numbers and map ordering info along with other info.
    Last edited by Dave; 02-19-2011 at 20:27. Reason: added web site info

Hammock
    Eno, HH, DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Winter Incubator
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Well last night I started to post with directions to Lockett Meadow and Hart Prairie near Flagstaff, AZ. For spectacular hanging from Aspen trees, depending on the snow pack end of March. Though I think right now the snow pack is pretty darn low, so if things don't change a lot it would probably be fine by March.

But then I remembered the recent fires around Flagstaff, so I don't know what kind of damage was done where. And while searching around for some good directions for you to Lockett Meadow, I found a NF notice from Oct 2010 that said Lockett Meadow area and some other areas on the San Francisco Peaks were still closed related to the fire damage, with a $5000 fine for entering the area.

Maybe Dejoha and other north AZ residents can fill us in. If fire took this area, then nature took one of her most beautiful delights from us. One that was also custom made for hanging.
    Bummer! Thanks for the idea, though...

Hammock
    Eno, HH, DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Winter Incubator
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    The Kaibab Forest is a working forest. There are lots of forest service roads through out the area. We were able to drive over to an area called Temp Point and pitch a tent on the rim but there are many such areas along the rim. When we were there, these "developed camp sites" were really nothing but a slightly cleared off area where one could pitch a tent under the ponderosas. However, like I said before, you can camp anywhere inside a national forest.

Highway 89 at Jacob Lake, AZ takes you to the entrance to the North Rim. Along that 40+ mile drive, you will see several forest service roads leading to right and left along the road. The best way to find your way is to stop in Jacob Lake at the welcome center an ask a ranger or buy a map of the Kiabab Plateau. The rangers can also be called ahead of time to check on road closures. If you are still planning on mid-March, I bet the roads may be closed due to snow. The Kaibab Plateau is at 8000 feet (2400 meters) and snow tends to hang around at that elevation. My wife has taken a picture of me standing in 8 inches of snow in the forest in mid-May!

Hope this helps,
    Dave

Search the net for Kaibab National Forest and you will find phone numbers and map ordering info along with other info.
    Ah, the North Rim...Yeah, I think that's going to be a tough go in March. I was hoping for North Rim this time around, but all the GC facilities and ranger programs up there will be closed in March, so not such a good option for the kids...

I thought you were talking about camping on the South Rim in the national forest on the way into to the South Gate (is that also Kaibab?).

I wonder what the forest is like down there...maybe you could get near the rim on the south side?

Hammock
    Hennessy (with mods)
    Tarp
    standard HH
    Insulation
    working on it
    Suspension
    standard (for now)
    I believe you are correct in that the Kaibab Forest (southern section?) is located around the South Rim. No problem as far as camping. Hang on a minute, let me find my map.....

The Kaibab National Forest has 4 districts: North Kaibab, Tusayan, Chalender and Williams. The map I have is for the North Kaibab district only. It does show that the Tusayan district is near the South Rim but with no detail. I can't see if there are areas that touch the rim. I also checked my Grand Canyon topo. It shows that the national forest does not touch the rim but comes very close in several areas. The rangers at the South Rim will be able to give you more detail than I can. There may be places inside the Park where you and your family can hang. Let us know what you find out.

Dave

Hammock
    Eno, HH, DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Winter Incubator
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    I believe you are correct in that the Kaibab Forest (southern section?) is located around the South Rim. No problem as far as camping. Hang on a minute, let me find my map.....

The Kaibab National Forest has 4 districts: North Kaibab, Tusayan, Chalender and Williams. The map I have is for the North Kaibab district only. It does show that the Tusayan district is near the South Rim but with no detail. I can't see if there are areas that touch the rim. I also checked my Grand Canyon topo. It shows that the national forest does not touch the rim but comes very close in several areas. The rangers at the South Rim will be able to give you more detail than I can. There may be places inside the Park where you and your family can hang. Let us know what you find out.

Dave
    Many thanks, Dave
    I might give the rangers a call (Skype) before we go and do some recon...

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12