Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JTucker View Post
    Where I camp we only have black bears and they are hunted pretty regular, even in the summer the locals have the dogs out driving around. I didn't see it mentioned here and it may not be popular with the hiking crowd but I generally carry a sidearm. Not something I would use unless absolutely necessary but its there if I need it, really more for protection from the wrong kind of people than animals.
    Between crazies on the trail (see blood mountain GA and others on the AT), criminals let alone a wild animal who's having a misunderstanding with me, I definitely feel better when I have a sidearm on long trips, 3/4 day trips in the wilderness. I carry CS spray as well as first line of defense, but always have a back up solution for the worst case, cause worst case, I'm still comin' home.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    A griz will require a 44 mag or better. Not for gram weenies.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by SnrMoment View Post
    A griz will require a 44 mag or better. Not for gram weenies.
    i would carry all the time out hiking...i don't take it anymore
    unless you get a lucky head shot your only going to pi$$ it off
    i get a kick out of ppl that carry little 38's for bears ...i even seen a guy with a .22 once...i ask him what it was for...he said in case of a bear
    i told him he would have better luck knocking it out with a rock then killing it with that ...and i'm only talking about black bears
    heck even a 9mm won't do much to stop a black bear ...

if a bear is going to eat you...it's going to eat you..nothing you can do unless you have a high power rifle handy
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Let's keep it on topic please. Whether one carries or not isn't at issue.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    HH Explorer, Exped, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Edge,MacCat Mic
    Insulation
    Phoenix, Incubator
    Suspension
    Stock
    A hammock tarp staked out looks just about like a tent, a bear would have to have access to the internet, and maybe to this forum, to really make that kind of judgment call.
    I know I can sure see better from the hammock, my dog can hear a mouse fart, and if dog barking does not scare a bear off, the sound of my revolver might.

Hammock
    My own $25 DIY Hammock.
    Tarp
    Chinook Camo.
    Insulation
    E.C.W.S Military
    Suspension
    Bioshock
    A bear is a bear, and for the most part wild animals, so for some human with human thoughts and ideas to write an article from a bears point of view is beyond ridiculas. Noone has any idea what runs through a bears mind, so to say that you look more like food in a hammock is stupid. I also believe that if you are going into the woods where these types of animals live I.E. bears cougars snakes its up to you to bring the things you need to stay safe. I carry a first aid kit just in case something should happen that needs medical care and i carry a large handgun just in case something feels the need to eat me or someone in my party. Its up to the individual to make these decisions for themselves. I DO NOT want to be on an animals menu which is why i carry, however some people look at this as something they would not or could not do and thats purely up to them. To Each His/Her own.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Black Cat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by lazy river road View Post
    That article made me laugh. I think a hammock is actually safer. From a tent I gotta get up un zip and stand up. No net hammock swing out feet hit the ground and I do the first thing I'm not supposed to and start running in my skivies for my life
    lol that sounds like the plan i would follow
    Hops

Hammocks are too cheap to appeal to Backpacker. If everyone that wanted hammock qualities purchased hammocks or God forbid..made them then all those two man tents and bivvys would never sell.

Hammocks are too much of a sensible answer and starting now are putting my almost 40 years of groundling suffering to an end. Less is more can never be championed by a magazine that has space to fill between the advertisements.

Tarp
    HH Xplor Dlx
    Insulation
    KAQ Potomac
    Suspension
    straps n rings
    If you bring an extra hammock you will have nothing to worry about.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XB-vQivWd-c&NR=1

99% of the time they will choose the empty one to relax in

Jeeps

Hammock
    Eno double nest
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    UCRS
    Quote Originally Posted by G.L.P. View Post
    i would carry all the time out hiking...i don't take it anymore
    unless you get a lucky head shot your only going to pi$$ it off
    i get a kick out of ppl that carry little 38's for bears ...i even seen a guy with a .22 once...i ask him what it was for...he said in case of a bear
    i told him he would have better luck knocking it out with a rock then killing it with that ...and i'm only talking about black bears
    heck even a 9mm won't do much to stop a black bear ...

if a bear is going to eat you...it's going to eat you..nothing you can do unless you have a high power rifle handy
    Id rather have my .45 then a rock lol.... Best chance is to aim for the shoulders. a hand gun most likely wont penitrate to the vitals, nor the skull, however if you can hit a shoulder, you may be able to disable one, and have a chance or escape.. Lots of ppl carry mistakingly thinking its gonna save there life 100% of the time. This false hope is just as dangerous as being un armed. No when to use it, and how, or dont even bother.. Bears will bluff charge and size you up, a wrongfully place shot may turn a bluff charge into and all out atack, as the bear goes into defense mode, and your now the threat. The best thing is prevention... period.. As the poster above stated, if a bear wants to kill you, he will, nothing short high power rifle, and a little help from God will save you at that point

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast