Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Hennessy
    Tarp
    Like a miniskirt
    Insulation
    Marmot minimalist

Cut off ridgeline?

Hey, Sorry if this has been addressed, but if so I couldn't find where, so feel free to point me in the correct direction..

I've got an older model Hennessy (before the standard zipper) and I don't really have the money to have the zipper mod done.. SO I've been thinking and I think I may have a solution..

I'm going to cut the internal ridgeline.. and tie a new one outside of the bug netting.

If i need the netting I'll just use some pull out clamps like you would use on your tarp to lift it up and fix it back to the ridgeline..( sort of like a skeeter beeter) if not I'll leave the netting down and lie on top of it (or flip the hammock over and lie on the hammock with the net on the bottom..)

In my head this seems like a good idea.. I can use the pocket to hold my pad. I can relax in my hennessy like it's a regular hammock, cook out of it, be social.. and still have a bug net at short notice..

What do you guys(and ladies) think? Thanks.

-frisco
    “May the wind always be on your back and the sun upon your face and may the winds of destiny carry you aloft to dance with the stars.”

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    LARGE!
    Insulation
    DIY Bag UQ
    Suspension
    Nacras an Whoopies
    I think a removable ridgeline might be an option.

I would cut the existing ridgeline, tie loops on the end, then get some more line and make a seperate ridgeline with soft shackles / nacrabiners for when you want to re-install.

I'm sure there will be other options.
    I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.

Hammock
    Hennessy
    Tarp
    Like a miniskirt
    Insulation
    Marmot minimalist
    Well you couldn't really use the hennessy without one could you? I don't know.. Maybe? As long as you didn't need a tarp? I was thinking just move it to the outside so you could still use the tarp, without the bug net..
    “May the wind always be on your back and the sun upon your face and may the winds of destiny carry you aloft to dance with the stars.”

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Frisco View Post
    I'm going to cut the internal ridgeline.. and tie a new one outside of the bug netting.

If i need the netting I'll just use some pull out clamps like you would use on your tarp to lift it up and fix it back to the ridgeline..( sort of like a skeeter beeter) if not I'll leave the netting down and lie on top of it (or flip the hammock over and lie on the hammock with the net on the bottom..)

-frisco
    The netting is smaller than the body of the hammock. You would tear the netting if you were to lie on it. ZQ
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    Hennessy
    Tarp
    Like a miniskirt
    Insulation
    Marmot minimalist
    Well there goes that.. lol ...Hmmm..

Hammock
    DIY Table Cloth/ Jerry 5
    Tarp
    11x12' Hex Sil
    Insulation
    Various UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing or Etrunks
    Images
    I did the removable ridge line and ended up putting a solid one back in. Like was stated the net is smaller than the body of the hammock. You basically have to fold the ends of the body fabric in and the hammock is only about 2/3 its width when you are inside. I find it easier to use the directions that Hennessey gives for lounging now. I still am envious of the mod 2 or 4.

Hammock
    DIY , HHASYM
    Tarp
    DIY, HH hex
    Insulation
    DIY CLMSHLD, POD
    Suspension
    whoopie

I don't know if the link works but I too am without funding. So I tore a zipper from and old tent door and put it into my HH UL and it works great. 6" below the seam works well. The first time I put the zipper on the seam and getting in/out created a lot of stress on the bug netting at the ridgeline cause small wear hole. It took about 45 minutes to sew together. (About two hours to remove the zipper from my old tent) it was my mom-n-law's old sewing machine and my first or second REAL sewing project outside of sewing up torn jeans.

https://picasaweb.google.com/m/viewe...12145322831362
    Last edited by lattie11581; 02-22-2011 at 15:34. Reason: trying to set up link for photo

Hammock
    DIY , HHASYM
    Tarp
    DIY, HH hex
    Insulation
    DIY CLMSHLD, POD
    Suspension
    whoopie
    By the way. My seams are not pretty but it is functional. As long as nobody looks TOO close

Hammock
    Hennessy
    Tarp
    Like a miniskirt
    Insulation
    Marmot minimalist
    Yeah, I appreciate the advice everyone.. I guess I'm stuck for now, Not that I don't love my HH, just trying to customize it to my liking a bit.. I think it may be time to pass this one down to the special lady and "invest" in a new one with a zip mod..

Hammock
    DIY-Darian UL-like
    Tarp
    z-Packs cuben
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Frisco View Post
    In my head this seems like a good idea.. I can use the pocket to hold my pad. I can relax in my hennessy like it's a regular hammock, cook out of it, be social.. and still have a bug net at short notice..

-frisco
    I am at a loss here. You should be able to relax, cook, and be social with your hammock the way that it is. Have you checked out THIS video? No zipper required.

I admit a zipper gives you a little more freedom, but you can do most things in a hennessy that you can do in a regular hammock in my experience.
    -Mark
    -SlowBro
    "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."-Theodore Roosevelt

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast