Hammock
    ENO SingleNest
    Tarp
    Urenylon 10'x10'

Questions about sewing

Hey all, just another noob with questions here that have probably been asked a million times.

Anywhoosles, I am new to this stuff, got up the gumption to order some whoopie slings and some webbing the other day, which I am still waiting on. However, when the webbing gets here, I will have to do some sewing to put some loops in that webbing once it is cut to size, and that is where my problem starts. First off, is there a specific kind of thread that I need to be using for this? I imagine I need to be using something robust like the Spectra thread I have from County Comm. Or is there a different recommended type of thread that would work?

Then, once I get me some thread, the actual sewing has to happen. Is there a guide to making the loops strong enough, or is it just a wing it and hope for the best kind of thing? I am assuming (which we all know how that usually works out) that a box with an x in it type of pattern will work, but if not it would be better to find out beforehand and not after the fact.

And that is it. I figure with those two things knocked out I will be on my way to hanging heaven and all I will need after that is a couple of toggles. So, any suggestions people?

Thanks,

Derek

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Use good polyester thread (not polyester wrapped but full poly). The box with the X in it is what I use and never had a problem.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    4 or 5 parallel bar tack stitches about an inch apart is what all my webbing has. As JaxHiker said, polyester thread.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    If you are hand sewing you can use any kind of thread you want. If you are using a thread injector you would best to limit yourself to 100% polyester thread of excellent quality. (Guttermann's is a name often cited but there are others.) The specialized threads are often problematic in a household sewing machine. There was a recent thread which I am not good at finding that discussed loop sewing patterns in detail. Perhaps someone can point you to that one.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Ramblinrev above me has a series of video's that have become invaluable to me.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=6802

It's to the point now where if he posted that I could only use real spider silk I would start gathering spiders. And I hate spiders.

Brad

Hammock
    my 11' ers
    Tarp
    many of my tarps
    Insulation
    yeti, Incubators
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Images
    100% polyester, box with a X is what I use. never failed me.

Hammock
    Superior Gear
    Tarp
    Superior Gear
    Insulation
    Down
    Mine all the the 5 bar tacks. I think if you do the box with an x I would do more than 1. More is almost always better to a point.
    Pete.
    The opinions expressed by this user are not those of a competent individual. If they were that would mean I know what I am talking about.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Images
    I made some of these for a friend once. Same advice as above, mostly. I use Gutermann's too. I got mine from Arrowhead Equipment.

I did the "x" in a box, because my machine cannot zigzag like is needed for a bar tack. I made one "x" in a box, and then I made another one with the box edge slightly inside the first box to cover more surface area with stitching.

If you cannot zigzag for a bar tack, I would definitely recommend two "x"s. I could feel a little give in my join after only doing only one, but maybe it was just in my head.

• + New Posts