Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images

Bad storm scenarios in HH

Hello all, I just recently purchased my first hammock, Hennessey Exped asym. I was curious to see how well the Hennessey performs in bad conditions before my season of backpacking begins. Was curious to hear some of your bad storm stories with a hennessey. Thanks!

P.S. I can not wait for this snow to be over so I can finally hang!
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I survived a summer in Florida with the stock asym fly from HH. Even managed to make it work over another hammock that had a longer diamond shape. I've slept dry while the palm trees I was tied to shed their palms and bowed in ranges measured in feet, not inches. I've seen rain hard enough that visibility was less than 20'. Those tarps will do the job effectively if set correctly. Biggest problem is you can't do much more than lay in your hammock during the storm. They just aren't big enough to allow you any real freedom of movement.

I think Sgt. Rock still holds the title of worst storm survived with a HH stock fly. He rode out the remnants of a hurricane (tropical storm by the time it got to him) for a couple/few days and nights in his HH with the stock tarp. It may not be the most flexible thing out there, but it does it's primary job well enough.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    HH Exp A-Sym
    Tarp
    HH 70D "HEX" PU
    If you haven't, upgrade to the hex fly!!! I have been through sustained 40 MPH winds and rain that was literally horizontal with it and had NO issues.

Hammock
    WBBB (1.7,1.1) Nx-200 and ENO DN
    Tarp
    Superfly and MJ
    Insulation
    Pad and HG UQ
    Suspension
    Straps with mods
    Ok.... this past September in the Boundary Waters. We were on out first day of 11 and just made the turn north to head up into Quetico. We had monitored the weather radio as we knew we would see an afternoon storm. It moved in much faster than predicted and the strength had intensified giving warnings of high gusts with heavy rains. We turned towards the island we wanted to camp on and didn't have much time to set up.

We had the HH expedition asym buttoned up as tight as we could and knew we didn't have the best angle to the wind. we were also very exposed and wanted to set up further in the woods, but were running out of time. (storms come up on you FAST here)

When it was said and done, with torrential rains and 40+ mph winds according to our weather radio, the HH was wet, but not soaked for about 2 feet on the head end.

Cannibal said it best about the stock fly on the Ex Asym with "it does it's primary job well". A bigger fly would have been awesome on our trip in those conditions.

Had we had the time, we could have set up a little better and perhaps remedied some of that, but not all. It was not a game ender, the sleeping bag got damp, the next day was wet also, and it was dry enough for sleeping comfort. We did get wet, but it wasn't that bad. We also had a Clark NX-200 (with the XL fly) and that was as dry as a popcorn fart. (bigger fly, different angle to the wind)
    Last edited by Lorax; 02-18-2011 at 20:38.

Hammock
    DIY DL gthrd end, zip-off bugnet
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole (Camo)
    Insulation
    Pad and bag (FL!)
    Suspension
    Hugger + whoopies
    Images
    I know Hennessy has improved their tarp design since I bought my Exped but my stock asym fly hasn't performed well for me under intense conditions. After a lot of use in heavy showers, it stretched out to the point that it would collect rainwater on either side of the ridge, droop down onto my bugnet, and then water would wick through. I had an intense thunderstorm roll up on me in north Florida during the night. My tarp was tied out to nearby hardwood saplings at a medium angle and the wind gusts were so bad that the saplings bent, the tarp went floppy, and the plastic hooks on the suspension bent straight and popped loose (I think one eventually broke). I got completely soaked and had no choice but to just sleep wet.

If you want to use the stock HH fly, I'd strongly suggest to run a separate line for tying off to your trees. I'd also suggest employing tarp tensioners and tent stakes.

I eventually upgraded to a Maccat standard with a separate line and tensioners. That setup is bomb proof.

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

I have stayed dry under the stock Explorer fly

and have gotten wet under a 15x15 Cookes tarp. Go figure.

Torrential downpours have been shed by my stock fly quite nicely. But when high winds and a high tarp pitch (90+ temps) combine with tall trees I was dampened by horizontal mist blowing in and hitting my HH. This is one reason I recently purchased a WB SuperFly - Doors! But I have not had a chance to test it in nasty conditions as yet.

A HH Hex fly is an option as well.

Jim

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    Thanks all for the scenarios and suggestions. Ill be trying out the stock fly for a few hangs and see for myself before I make the purchase. I should have upgraded when I made the original purchase, just didn't know how to till I checked after I order. >.< Go figure hehe.

I have been looking in to the separate ridgeline for the tarp. Not a 100% sure how its set up. Watched trekking's (I believe that was his name) videos on it but the knots still confuse me....Its another one of those things I assume I will learn when I start using the thing.
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    With a perfect hang and great site selection you can stay dry with a stock HH fly.... But even HH sells a larger tarp for a reason...If you want to live under it... sleep secure that you are protected... consider larger, more protective and more flexible tarps... the weight penalty is normally zero to 8 oz or so from stock, depending on the tarp and your pocket book.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    hennessy deep jungle xl
    Tarp
    hennessy hex tarp
    Insulation
    roll matt
    Suspension
    karabiner
    survived monsoon season with stock tarp many a time, however, comments about hex tarp are justified... gotta put your gear somewhere!

• + New Posts