Tarp
    Hennesy Hex
    Insulation
    Homebrew UQ & CCF
    Suspension
    Line and strap

Yep, another new guy...

Just got a HH for X-mas.

I'm pretty excited about shedding the tent, a couple of pounds (off my pack and me) and getting off the ground.

I've poured over 20+ pages of posts and have done several searches but can't quite find an answer so I'll cut to the chase.

How do I manage 40-50 degree summer nights? Do I need to? I use a 20 degree bag and I understand the compression issues and losing heat to the air under the hammock. I normally carry a 3/4 length Thermarest but I was hoping to leave it behind also.

Is there something lightweight I can carry to add the necessary layer to sleep comfortably if the need arises? Or do I just pull on an extra layer of clothes or sleep on top of my gear?

Would something like a Neat Sheet (w/o the weights) fashioned into an underquilt of sorts give enough of an extra layer without too much weight?

Do I just trade down to a blue pad and call it good? Maybe put some wings on it?

Please advise oh Gurus of the Hammock

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    I'm supposed to be doing something else right now that I don't really want to do, which is always a good reason to pop over to HF and look for a chance to mouth off.

1. You'll need something under you for 40-50 degrees.
    2. The thermarest will slide around inside the HH, drive you nuts. At least I couldn't make it work...I think the bottom of it doesn't grip the hammock at all.
    3. lowest cost / lowest weight solution : CCF pads like the ones from Oware, Speer, or GossamerGear seem to do a better job of staying put. Budget version WM, OK, put some wings on. The others you can get wider and cut to size.
    4. But once you come to realize that you can't go to ground again and you're a tree hanger forever more, you start to notice the siren song of under-quilts. Imagine, being warm without having to consciously or unconsciously think about where the pad is placed. Or think about condensation (as some do with the pads).

I really like not having a pad inside the hammock with me. You can avoid that with an UQ, or with a hammock that has a pad pocket, or with a hammock that has a double-body. But as it is the HH you own, those aren't options. Lot's of folks are perfectly happy with pads in their hammocks, and maybe you're one of those lucky ones. You get to sleep well with a lower price tag.

Grizz

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Welcome to the site.
    Most folks need some form of under insulation in temps under 65-70°
    You may read where some go to really low temps with minimal under insulation. They are the exception not the rule. Only you can determine through testing in a place such as home, where you have a bailout option, what temps you can handle. The Wal-Mart blue 3/8" thick closed cell pad and wings such as the Speer SPE is a real good place to start. The Thermarest Ridgerest is a fine pad also.
    Last edited by FanaticFringer; 01-13-2008 at 22:54.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    I am a very cold sleeper so I need a lot of insulation, I get cold in my hammock at 75 degrees without a pad or UQ. I do not like pads, I can use them, but eventually I get clammy. I really like underquilts as they allow me to move around more and not worry about being off the pad. Like FF said, just do some testing and see what your comfortable with.
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Most folk need some bottom insulation at 75 * to sleep thru a nite ( or to normal bio break )..... You will definately feel the coolness at 70* after 10-20 minutes.

FWIW, prudent planning strongly suggests that every trip gear list handle a 20 * drop from expected temp.... Temp swings in the mountains can be severe and swift.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Hennesy Ultra-Exp., Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Hennesy Hex
    Insulation
    Homebrew UQ & CCF
    Suspension
    Line and strap
    That's the info I needed. Makes things a lot clearer.

Let me see if I have this straight about the under/over quilts.

Instead of a sleeping bag (or in addition to, in cold weather) you use a underquilt that for bottom insulation.

The top quilt is more like, well, a quilt and less like a sleeping bag.

By using this design, in moderate temperatures, you don't carry a traditional sleeping bag. The weight is about the same so it is an even trade.

I realize there is a lot of give and take on this but am I on the right track?

I'm excited to start tinkering and giving things a try but until summer gets here I don't have a lot of free time so I need to streamline my learning curve.

If I start working on a sleeping bag to quilt conversion, what rating is customary for 40ish to 70ish summer night time temps? It seems a 20* bag would be enough but I will defer to your wisdom.

Back to digging through the wealth of info on this site. Thanks.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Troglodyte View Post
    That's the info I needed. Makes things a lot clearer.

Let me see if I have this straight about the under/over quilts.

Instead of a sleeping bag (or in addition to, in cold weather) you use a underquilt that for bottom insulation.

The top quilt is more like, well, a quilt and less like a sleeping bag.

By using this design, in moderate temperatures, you don't carry a traditional sleeping bag. The weight is about the same so it is an even trade.

I realize there is a lot of give and take on this but am I on the right track?

I'm excited to start tinkering and giving things a try but until summer gets here I don't have a lot of free time so I need to streamline my learning curve.

If I start working on a sleeping bag to quilt conversion, what rating is customary for 40ish to 70ish summer night time temps? It seems a 20* bag would be enough but I will defer to your wisdom.

Back to digging through the wealth of info on this site. Thanks.
    Top quilts can be used in temps as low or as high as you would use a regular sleeping bag. They are just more efficient in the hammock. Sleeping bags are often heavier than top quilts due to the extra material on the bottom.
    A 20° bag would be more than enough in 40° weather. Overkill around 60-70°
    You could use something like a fleece blanket and use clothing layers as additional insulation if needed in warmer temps.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

• + New Posts