Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images

Whoopie Sling question

This might be a stupid question, but everytime I use my whoopie slings, I can't help wondering why whoopie slings are actually slings? Is there any reason not to use 2 individual pieces of cord? Would that make the suspension too weak?

It's just that you basically need double the amount of rope with a sling than if you would when using just 2 pieces of rope. Also I would be tempted to fix the whoopie sling to the hammock the other way round, so that the part where you adjust the length doesn't move away from the hammock. If you have to hang your hammock between trees that are spaced far apart, it can get a bit tricky for a small person to get to the adjustable part...

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    It wouldnt make it weak, and some do use a version called a Utility Constrictor. Its basically a single line with the adjustable part just long enough to make the bury to grip the main line.

There are 2 main ways to attach whoopie slings to your hammock.

Larkshead the fixed eye to the hammock...

Larkshead the fixed eye to a ring which is attached to your hammock... (or build the fixed eye around the ring)

Build the adjustable loop around a ring thats attached to your hammock.

The first 2 keep the adjustment point from moving away from the hammock body.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Ah! I never quite understood what made the utility constrictor different from a whoopie sling without having seen one.

Why isn't the utility constrictor more popular than the whoopie sling? I assume it would save weight, right? I would also think that it is nicer to pack if you have less rope?

Yes, I'm aware that I could theoretically use whoopies the other way round. But I have your all-in-one system. I also like the ring that prevents the water running down the line - which would need to go on the non-hammock side then, too.

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Funny you should ask this as I have been thinking the same thing. Just the other night I put together a new suspension test setup. I was hoping to test it today, but that is not working out that way. I was going to wait for pictures and a report to bring it here, but now I am too excited.

Anyway, here is what I am doing:
    1) Tree huggers on both ends with marlin spikes.

2) For the suspension line, I buried a loop onto one end of the 7/64 amsteel line and left the other open.

3) I whipped a piece of amsteel onto each end of the hammock so that it had a tail just over a foot long hanging off to connect the hammock to the suspension line. I finished them off with end burys. (one foot plus the bury)

4) I buried the suspension line into each of the connectors so they pull in opposite directions. So, the first side I buried into the tail by the bury and exited close to the hammock. The second I entered close to the hammock and exited close to the bury.

So, to hang the hammock, you place the loop on one end of the suspension line over the marlin spike. You hitch the other end to the marlin spike on the other tree so you have a line going across (think of a full line under your tarp). The hammock will slide along the entire suspension line (again like a tarp). Position the two ends and constrict the connectors on the suspension line. The portion of the suspension line between the two connectors becomes the hammocks ridge line

It is basically a single adjustable ridgeline suspension (but SARS doesn't sound too good, I'll work on it).

Want to adjust the ridge line, move a connector. Didn't get the foot end higher, slide the hammock that way.

Should be very quick to setup and easy to adjust. I have a couple of tricks planned to make this all really simple, but I will save those for my test report.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    Ah! I never quite understood what made the utility constrictor different from a whoopie sling without having seen one.

Why isn't the utility constrictor more popular than the whoopie sling? I assume it would save weight, right? I would also think that it is nicer to pack if you have less rope?

Yes, I'm aware that I could theoretically use whoopies the other way round. But I have your all-in-one system. I also like the ring that prevents the water running down the line - which would need to go on the non-hammock side then, too.
    Utility constrictor is a little more finicky. With the WS, its a set it and forget it type deal. with the UC, you have to make sure you are backing up the tail end of the constrictor. Not a big deal, but some dont like to have to worry about it.

• + New Posts