Hammock Noob from WI

hi all,
    Completely new to hammocks. I think I've laid in one once or twice.

I picked up an ENO doublenest with the intention of surprising my wife with it on a backpacking trip. But, we never got to use it, it still sitting in the shipping box it came in (she still doesn't know about it).

I never ever thought of even using it to replace my tent. Some googling led to you guys.

Now I'm really intrigued. (Are you all like Shug?)

Once a year my brother and I go on a 10day backpacking trip in the CO rockies, and camp at treeline (~11.5K feet). Usually it is in the black spruce.

I would love to be able to convert my doublenest ENO to sleep in. I know my he would be completely surprised (I know he has never heard of hammock camping). I'd love to be able to pull this this one out of the hat, and surprise him, as he starts to put up his tent.

My only concern is the storms we usually run into. Usually one night, we get hit with really bad winds (rain or snow). I have no idea how the tents stay standing. We camp in the trees, but still, the wind can really scream through them.

I'd still like to try this. Would it be worth trying to convert my eno to this type setup? Or would I be better served saving my money up for a War Bonnet?

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    There are quite a few people who use the ENO as their main hammock. I'm sure one of them will pop on here and answer your questions. I have heard good things about them too. Welcome to HF!

Fronkey

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Insulation
    UGQ down goodness
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Images
    Welcome Seionage from Florida!

My husband and I use ENO doublenests as our primary hammock tent. It's not the lightest thing out there, but the fabric feels like a dream. ENO sells tarps and a 360 degree bugnet that converts your casual use hammock into a camping hammock if you are interested in the ENO line.

Walmart sells tarps for around $10 that I have heard works just fine for blocking wind, rain or snow but I've never tried them.

The one thing to steer clear of with ENO is the slap straps and only because they are nylon and tend to stretch...ALOT! Instead look for something in the polyester family for tree straps as they stretch the least and you shouldn't find your butt touching the ground come morning.

You will find that there is a wealth of knowledge on the forums to draw from. If you have questions, odds are someone knows the answer, has tried it before, or can't wait to see how it turns out for you.

Have fun introducing your brother to an elevated perspective of camping!

Quote Originally Posted by Gumbo View Post
    Welcome Seionage from Florida!

The one thing to steer clear of with ENO is the slap straps and only because they are nylon and tend to stretch...ALOT! Instead look for something in the polyester family for tree straps as they stretch the least and you shouldn't find your butt touching the ground come morning.
    Too late. I bought them with the Hammock. Oh well, to late now. Thanks for the heads up. I'll keep my eyes open about different suspension systems.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Insulation
    UGQ down goodness
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by seionage View Post
    Too late. I bought them with the Hammock. Oh well, to late now. Thanks for the heads up. I'll keep my eyes open about different suspension systems.
    You can mitigate the stretch some if you wrap around the tree more than once, putting as much strap on the tree as possible. It makes finding trees the right distance apart a little harder, but it's doable.

Otherwise, hang a little higher than you might have. I have never ended up on the ground but I only weigh 125. They do stretch even for me. I usually wake up about a 8 inches lower than when I got in.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl & XLC
    Tarp
    Big MJ & Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti & 2 Wookies
    Suspension
    Stock straps
    Images
    Welcome to HF. Lots of good ideas, creativity, positive energy here. Also a WI hammockcamper.

Quote Originally Posted by Tumbleweed View Post
    Welcome to HF. Lots of good ideas, creativity, positive energy here. Also a WI hammockcamper.
    Holy crap! That's where I went to school (Rosholt).

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    GT funky forest
    Insulation
    experimenting
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    Hello seionage,
    Welcome to one of the most addicting websites out there...but it is extremely enjoyable and you will find some extremely valuable info regarding hangin'...these guys are a veritable fountain of great info...I live in the black swamp region of Ohio...those are the areas you want to be off the ground...
    “A man is as free as he chooses to make himself, never an atom freer.”

• + New Posts