Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Haha! Wow That is a pretty big weight difference! Thank you Guys for all the help! Hopefully this will help eliminate some of my novice errors on my first night camping in my hammock. You guys know what I have, so anymore recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Hammock
    Warbonnets!
    Tarp
    OES, WB
    Insulation
    Crowsnest, Leighs
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckles
    Quite a few guys here use the OES Micro with no problems. And it's a smaller tarp than the Eno. It's not like your only gonna have one tarp forever anyways!
    It's only an addiction if you're trying to quit

Quote Originally Posted by colbysteed View Post
    Well, I have read it in a couple of places that the Dry fly did not offer sufficient coverage. The dimensions that I had was from a Third party site that obviously has the wrong specs. Umm, yeah I bought the slap strap pro.. Whats a better option?
    What I would like to know is who said this? As there are thousands of threads on this very subject, and there are some very experienced hangers here that have used and continue to use small tarps without issue! If you were to do a search you will find them, one most known is Cannibal!

The problem is that with a smaller tarp you must pay more specific attention to the details of your surroundings, tarp pitch, wind direction, proper spacing and centering of hammock, and more! But the final answer is, YES, small tarps work, they always have, there are a lot of factors and individual choices that play into what tarp someone chooses, one most notably is comfort, but there are many more!

The strap thing, well, the material that Eno uses for their straps stretches, some batches more than others from what I read, also they are much heavier than the others that can be had, several of the vendors here sell suspension components as well as complete suspension systems, JRB, AHE, Whoopieslings.com, and other places as well! There were actually several threads on ratchet straps from places like WalMart and the like with product numbers for verification that can and have been used by many!

Finally you didn't "Screw up" and anyone that tells you this doesn't remember starting from scratch or ie.. "The Beginning"! You got yourself a hammock set-up and thats all that matters, is it the best, lightest, and most current flavor, probably not, but you can make it work! If you are planning on doing some backpacking/hiking you might want to look into a lighter tarp as it might help keep the pack weight down, which translates into your knees/back/ankles/and more liking you and not trying to kill you, haha!!! Also I didn't notice if you have a bug net or not (didn't look to see if it came in the package you got, sorry got lazy)??? If not you might want to look into getting one for the buggy season/times!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    3 Season Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    No, you’re still in good shape. I have a “Dry Fry” and it works fine as a summer tarp with good visibility. I also have a “Speer Winter Tarp” that I take out when they are calling for fouler weather. I don’t believe you can get it anymore but these guys have some great tarps in different sizes w/ or w/out tie outs.
    http://wildernesslogics.com/Big-Dadd...-w-Tie-Out.htm

Good luck and Happy Hanging,

I can see how this is gonna Quickly turn into a new hobby for me.. To think it all started with a "Man hammock camping would be a great option for camping while kayaking" I had no clue how many options were out there and I definitely didn't think there would be a forum for it. Haha! So yes, I'm sure I will own more then one!

@Cranky bear
    I Don't know where I exactly read it, but some of the bad reviews were on here.. The bug net did come with the setup. I definitely am going to look into getting some whoopies but first I'm going to try to stretch the straps before I go on my trip. You guys have been very helpful thanks again and keep the good info coming!!!

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Insulation
    UGQ down goodness
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Images
    Timberrr and I have used (and still do) ENO DryFlys in serious thunderstorms and never got wet. It provides all the coverage you will need for your hammock. It won't cover much more than the hammock but it does keep you dry.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Insulation
    UGQ down goodness
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Images
    One way to help mitigate the stretch factor of the slap straps is keeping the webbing as close to the tree as you can and wrapping around the tree more than once. We found that helps some.

Ok, I have one more question... Sleeping pad for a hammock? I haven't purchased one yet. What do you guys think?

Hammock
    Warbonnets!
    Tarp
    OES, WB
    Insulation
    Crowsnest, Leighs
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckles
    If you can swing it, go with an underquilt. Before I had one I just used a Wally World blue pad.
    It's only an addiction if you're trying to quit

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast