Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    3/4
    Suspension
    Strap Cinch buckle

NW Pa First Annual Winter Hang 2011 Trip Report

Well myself FixedByDoc and Screamer arrived at my camp Thur afternoon about 1:00 pm watched some hiking videos from past trips ate a good meal at a all you can eat Chinese Buffet. came back to camp around 6:00 pm and furnace quit working so outside we went to warm up from time to time To bed at 9:30 Doc and screamer were beat 15 hr drive from upper peninsula of MI .

Day 1
    Meet SkyDog , Herber, Myteather Tammy myself Doc and Screamer at the Benezette Cafe for breakfast at 10:00 am Pulled out a little after 11:00 am for the parking area at the Beaver Run Natural Area. arrived with sun and temps in the lower 60's snow about 8" was left out of 15 and was pretty slushy . Found that my camera was missing and Doc was nice enough to loan me one of 3 he had with him . Got our hammocks strung while waiting for more happy Hammock forum members to arrive . Myteather and Tammy viewed the different hammocks that were available . As I was finishing up my setup Blisterboy arrived followed shortly by Hobbit later that afternoon ChillyHiker and jloden came trekking in . after dark HWS appeared with a Priest he found down the road who helped him find the parking lot, who actually was amazed by the hammocks and hung arround with us for awhile HWS had thoughtful gifts he did not have a hammock and felt to late to pitch camp so he would stay the night at the Benezette Hotel and tomorrow bring us a great hot peach cobbler which we devoured pretty quick. Dinner day 1 was brats with german mustered with soft rolls and potato soup . we sat and ate around the campfire till 9 or 10 pm. When we went to bed temps were still in high 50"s but wind was something else upwards of 60 mph gusts.

Day 2

Awoke from my warm hammock to find temps in the 20's and my boots frozen had to fight for 10 minutes to get my feet and inserts in. got down to fire and got it going again as a few others awoken and joined the fire. coffee was started on peoples alcohol and wood burners as I set up my 9 cup stainless still peculator got going, found out the perk on top was not glass it melted but held up had coffee and heard a yell was Joe Cross he had past the site up. Joe arrived at 3 am this morning slept in his vehicle and later that morning joined the group. SkyDog commented that when I select a site next time make sure it's not in the flightpath of commercial jets wasn't sure what was worse the wind noise or the low flying jets that shook the ground lol . Well after breakfast we went 1.5 miles down to a trail bridge post holing as we went , Had shoes but left them in the jeep oh well live and learned. Joe Cross and Screamer decided to do another 7 miles and loop back to campsite .Rest of the group wondered back found Skydog talking to a Virgina gentlemen lol . We hung around the fire drinking hot apple cider and snacking on Venison Jerky we decided we would just base camp were we were after all the digging in we did. Joe and Screamer returned Joe found a site down the road and left to camp solo must have been to scary looking lol HWS arrived a little while later without a priest this time lol. he had made his cobbler at the hotel and almost burnt it down with his plastic tote that now resembles a toilet seat lid had dinner around the fire was entertained by Doc's harmonica and stories . herber packed up as he had prior engagment for sunday morning jloden made some smores for those who wanted them. Bed for most was about 9 pm was still windy and cold low 20's with a wind chill of 12 ° .

Day 3

Well most were up just a daylight creped over the horizon , awoke from a warm hammock to a cold morning broke down camp had to use the ax tho break away ice to get guidelines and stakes out sheath came of once and managed to cut one guideline, glad I had more speer no tangle for back up.
    loaded up the pulk and packed out the trash. Said our goodbyes to a great group of people . we left with the others while SkyDog remained sipping his coffee and enjoying the peace and quite. I stopped for coffee with Doc and went to my camp to look for my camera which was found underneath my bed lol. Ended up catching Doc and Screamer at the Brookville TA truckstop for the breakfast buffet had breakfast and headed home with fond memories and a warm heart.

Thank you for a great Hang guys , Sorry that those who wanted to come for some reason or another couldn't attend we hope to someday meet up once again.
    Last edited by Can't Wait; 02-21-2011 at 11:56.

Images
    I posted the few pics I got to take under the planning link for this hike. Enjoy!!

-- I had an awesome time tromping around and exploring this area. Very pretty scenery. Despite the wind, I had an excellent time. I'll have to go back when the weather's a bit more friendly and take more pics!

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    3/4
    Suspension
    Strap Cinch buckle
    I am editing video as I am cleaning gear and hanging gear to dry out will post video this evening.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    3/4
    Suspension
    Strap Cinch buckle

Images
    Good Trip report. Way to work with the equipment you had on hand.

How did the pulks pull in the slush?
    Was your video camera on the kitchen table?

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    3/4
    Suspension
    Strap Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Good Trip report. Way to work with the equipment you had on hand.

How did the pulks pull in the slush?
    Was your video camera on the kitchen table?
    Pulks did fine I have to get heavier D rings for my belt caught a tree coming in and one came open and slipped off.

Camera was lying under the foot of bed at camp, must sat it out when I got my long johns out of my duffel bag and got bumped onto the floor , Glad Ryan had 3 cameras lol.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Mmmm venison jerky and cider. Thanks for the report. Looked like a really nice area to hang.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    OES
    Insulation
    YETI & JRB quilts
    Suspension
    straps and buckle.
    Wow what an extreme hang.....winds gusting to 60 mph..temps went from the 50s down to 16 ..Im sure glad I had those griz beaks..nice to meet everyone and thanks to HWS for the cobbler and gifts. Looking forward to seeing you all again. also got to see a wide range of gear and setups and talk about it all. Thanks to Jim for making it happen.

Hammock
    Simply Light Design 10' netless
    Tarp
    WiL Tadpole
    Insulation
    AHE apex quilts
    Suspension
    Muletape
    Finally had some time to post to the thread. This morning I woke up to 15 inches of fresh heavy snow. Just Sunday afternoon when I got home from the hang the driveway was finally all melted off and it was a warm day sitting in the sun. Well I shoveled snow today for 3 hours and I think I am finally done.

The weekend was just great. Had some time early Friday to drive around and review the area and Quehanna Trail crossings for a possible loop hike this year. Then headed up to the gathering of the group hang. It was a warm but wet slushy day. The camp area was a mix of no snow under some trees to heavy snow and some deep water melt off collecting near and under hammocks.

It was nonstop chatter of not just gear talk but very interesting discussion from a great group with various backgrounds and life experience. Never a lack of something to talk about. On top of that, never a lack of something to eat. I brought half of my food home as there was always something being offered.

For Friday night a new cold front was soon on the way and with it a sustained wind and the persistent wind gusts. After an evening around the camp fire we wandered off to the hammock city. The dark woods were lit by many dots of warm glowing candle lanterns. A nice scene at the close of the day.

We weren’t disappointed with a calm evening. The wind came and howled relentlessly. Just when you thought gee that was pretty loud and I'm glad to be alive another horrendous gust came that surpassed the prior. As viewed from under the protection of the tarp were patterns of brilliant moon light moving through the swaying trees.

By morning we all came out of our hammocks safe and sound. A bit haggard and dark around the eyes it was a comfortable night hanging but difficult to sleep with all the noise. A short day hike and a peach cobbler sure took the edge off and once again many more stories to tell and gear and gadgets to look at.

Saturday night had its share of wind now and then but it quieted down enough to hear the scary critters of the woods. Or at least we could now hear some snoring. Hammocks can do that to you. I myself do not snore. Although I have never stayed awake to find out.

Many thanks to Jim for taking the time to organize this.
    http://www.stc-hike.org/ Susquehannock Trail Club web site - PA STS trail info

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    WB Edge (Spinn UL)
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Multimat
    Suspension
    WB cinch buckles
    Thanks to everyone for a great time! I really enjoyed getting out in the woods and was happy with how toasty warm I stayed this trip. Good times, lots of good conversation and a fun day hike in there. The wind was a little crazy but I think it says a lot that we slept through most of it and nobody's hammock/tarp setup took off like a kite

On the bad news front, it turns out I have the flu

I apologize profusely if I passed it along to anyone else. If I'd known I would have stayed home, but had no inkling I was sick until I started to feel under the weather late Saturday night. If you start to feel any symptoms I recommend seeing a doctor ASAP so you can get some Tamiflu. Just got back from the doctor's tonight and she says it can shorten duration of symptoms if you catch it early on.

-Jay

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast