Kayak Hang in Vernon Marsh in Fox River, WI

This is a thread I posted last summer in bladeforums. Now that I know of Hammock forums, I know this should have been here the whole time...

This was right after some big big rain we got that flooded everything, making it great to kayak.

Enjoy!

I spent this Sunday doing one of my favorite things... Kayaking the many waterways of WI. This Sunday I decided to check out one of my favorite spots, which is the Vernon Marsh area of the Fox River. This is an area where the fox river fans out over miles and miles, and it creates a very unique and diverse ecosystem. Most of the places I go in the marsh are not very accessible at all, and sometimes I wonder who else would be crazy enough to try and kayak where I do.

One of the things that I had wanted to try in this area was finally possible due to the really high water levels on the Fox river lately. The river was flood stage just a week ago, and it is still very swollen and wide. In many areas of the river, there are entire forests almost that are covered in 2 feet of water, and they are incredible to kayak through. I always wanted to try stringing up my hammock between two trees, or an overhanging branch in one of these areas. This last Sunday I gave it a shot.

First I had to find a branch or group of trees that would work. This is my first time attempting this, so I was searching from the more accessible spots on the river in case something happened. A few trees looked ok, and then this one turned up...

The water was slightly stagnant underneath, but it was generally bug free, had a sturdy branch going right down to the water and had some brush underneath where I could easily store my kayak. The branches looked solid, and there was plenty of space to string up the hammock. I decided to give it a shot.

The first thing I had to do was get the kayak stored and safely GET OUT of the boat. This is actually a little trickier than it sounds when you are trying to get on an over hanging branch above a river. Once I pulled that off, I had to climb up the branch to the spots where I was going to secure the hammock from. While climbing up the big branch, I had to clear away some of the smaller branches to make my life easier on the way up and down. This was a task for my Fehrman Last Chance...

Once I had the hammock secured on both ends, it was time to test it out... Sliding into it was tricky, but once I got it, it was definitely worth it.

Once I get settled, I spent many hours just like this...

And this is lunch. A freeze dried meal made with boiling water from my jet boil. Not bad!

Here is a view of the setup from above.

And one from the side.

This is an image of some storm damage I was exploring later in the day. These trees were fully uprooted during some tornado's a few weeks back. The storm changed this place.

Kayaking through the green goo. This stuff is thicker off the edge of the river.

And then one self portrait for fun. People keep telling me I don't look happy, but trust me, I am.

Hammock
    DIY of the Day
    Tarp
    DIY of the Day
    Insulation
    DIY PLoft/IX-UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    WS or Spyder Line
    Images
    Looks like Swamp Thing's summer home. Thanks for having us along!!
    2015 John Rock Spreadsheet.

"If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you should do is STOP DIGGING "

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Not quite paddling weather around here but your wetting my appetite.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl & XLC
    Tarp
    Big MJ & Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti & 2 Wookies
    Suspension
    Stock straps
    Images
    You will now be forever known as the "Swamp Fox". Francis Marion from the Civil War was the first I think.

Hammock
    BIAS Camper
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/HH Incubat
    Suspension
    UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tumbleweed View Post
    You will now be forever known as the "Swamp Fox". Francis Marion from the Civil War was the first I think.
    Revolutionary War actually, but same man. Most southern states have a Marion County named after him.

Nice photos JGON.

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    It's weird to not see frozen water. But, you gotta love hanging over the open water.

Fronkey

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    SuperFly w/doors
    Insulation
    WInc and Burrow
    Suspension
    webbing
    Great trip and great photos. Thanks for sharing.

I need to load up the old Dagger Magellan and head out for some hammock camping.

Chris

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Chinook 9.6x9.6
    Insulation
    AH New River UQ
    Suspension
    Came with the BB
    Images
    Great trip report and pictures. Makes me want to go kayaking even more now.
    I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority. - E. B. White (1899 - 1985)

Safe to say that you were definately the first person to set up a camp in that spot. Pretty cool! Thanks for sharing.

• + New Posts