WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator+Burrow
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles

WBBB 1.7 DL - Knee pain

Took my WBBB out this weekend... Only the third time I've used it.

Noticed on the first night that the material between the hammock and footbox is very tight and creates pain in my knees when I'm lying on my back. I tried experimenting with the hang (head lower, etc.) but nothing seemed to fix it.

Does anyone know how to fix this...

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    first thing i'd recommend playing with is the ridgeline length. if it was really tight then try loosening it, or visa versa.

Hammock
    Warbonnets!
    Tarp
    OES, WB
    Insulation
    Crowsnest, Leighs
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckles
    I agree with Wags. I have less of a ridge with more slack in my RL.
    It's only an addiction if you're trying to quit

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    WB tarps
    Insulation
    HG Down, PolarPod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I had the same problem + cramps + hurting heels when I started sleeping in hammocks. Just place a pillow or some extra clothes/gear under your knees and you should be fine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sF9sTAkzBlM

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Never had the problem in a WB, had it a couple of times in an HH.
    The above posters are leading you in the right direction...dial in the lay by adjusting the length of the ridgeline + dont be afraid to use the entire width of the blackbird in assuming the asym lay. I've seen some think they are asym but not really-get that head far over and the feet too.
    Forgot something important....the whoopee type adjustable ridgeline is a real bonus in that once you get the best lay for you then dial in the adjustable ridgeline-then every time you set up you are there.

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    I use a pillow at home, yes mine is a DIY but it's a hammock, knee pain is generally over extended knee. Doesn't take much to give you a little bend in your knees and you'll be comfortable again.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    Hang it with more sag in the ridgeline.
    "In your face space coyote"-HJS

Images
    Texashanger, did you have calf pressure or knee pain caused by hyper-extended knees?

Quote Originally Posted by BlazeAway View Post
    I had the same problem + cramps + hurting heels when I started sleeping in hammocks. Just place a pillow or some extra clothes/gear under your knees and you should be fine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sF9sTAkzBlM
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    Never had the problem in a WB, had it a couple of times in an HH.
    The above posters are leading you in the right direction...dial in the lay by adjusting the length of the ridgeline + dont be afraid to use the entire width of the blackbird in assuming the asym lay. I've seen some think they are asym but not really-get that head far over and the feet too.
    Forgot something important....the whoopee type adjustable ridgeline is a real bonus in that once you get the best lay for you then dial in the adjustable ridgeline-then every time you set up you are there.

I have about decided hammocks are kind of like a pair of shoes, personal fit is everything. I have had very little of that problem with my HH ( longer Explorer UL) and even less with a Speer 8.5, I have had it quite a bit with my BB 1.7 dbl. I love everything else about that BB, but it is NOT the winner in that category. Posts from others here show that I am not the only one who feels that way. That said, let me point out that at least one time- think it was when bdbart was at my house checking out WBBB, PeaPod and Mac pack etc - I laid in the BB and had ZERO calf pressure. I never figured out what I did different that time as far as RL or positioning.

But WBBB or some other gathered end (GE) hammock, the cure for me is- as others already said- is something cushy under my knees.

What is your weight? Do you need the 1.7 dbl? It has been reported by some who have used different BBs that a single layer 1.1 and maybe a dbl layer 1,1 or single 1.7 do not have this issue. My Speer is single layer 1.9 and is the closest to zero calf pressure of my GE hammocks except possibly my HH Safari, followed by my HH Explorer UL. All single layer. Is there a pattern here? However, my Claytor No Net is also pretty good in this area and is dbl layer, so ......... Are lighter fabrics the answer? Relative to body weight? I don't know the dbl layer Claytor fabric, but it is rated for less weight than the Claytor Jungle. It might be that stretchier is actually a plus as far as leg comfort, depending on a persons weight.

But in the meantime you have a dbl 1.7 and a problem. If the RL experiments and/or knee pillow don't solve the problem ( probably will), or you just don't want to fool with a leg pillow, the a JRB BMBH (bridge type) might be something you should try. There are pros and cons with this approach, but I have never felt even a moment of leg discomfort in that hammock regardless of how I am positioned or how tight or loose I pull a RL. Good luck!
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 02-21-2011 at 08:52.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator+Burrow
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    BillyBob...

The pain was mostly because the crease that joins the footbox to the hammock seemed to be very tight in almost any position of the hammock. This created a tight seam so basically my calves were laying on the seam. I guess, in thinking about it, the pain was because my knees were hyper extended to the back and side a bit...

With respect to my size I'm about 200lbs so I'm a bit nervous about the 1.1...

Does this help...?

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    you may want to think about trying out the JRB bridge hammock. it is a totally flat lay. i'm sure you could find someone to scoop up your blackbird and get you enough funds to make it happen.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast