Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Wait, what about my bed sheets?

Well, I ordered a dbl 1.7 wbbb hammock, so now my thoughts are turning to insulation. I'm thinking that initially I'll probably use a foam pad for underneath the hammock, but that leaves me with two questions.

Obviously I can't very well bring my bed sheets, and since I've been told sleeping bags don't work, I'm wondering what other compact alternatives are available.

Has anyone looked into using a rectangular sleeping bag liner, a bivvy sack, or just rolling up a wool blanket?

Also, do you guys use a ground tarp beneath your hammock?

My backpack has a place for my boots, so I was thinking of taking them off when I'm in the hammock.

I've been looking at sleeping bag liners at Rei, backcountry, and toasty liner
    http://www.rei.com/category/4500057/...ing+Bag+Liners

http://www.backcountry.com/sleeping-bag-liners

http://www.toastyliner.com/catalog/3

What do you guys use?

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladin03 View Post
    Well, I ordered a dbl 1.7 wbbb hammock, so now my thoughts are turning to insulation. I'm thinking that initially I'll probably use a foam pad for underneath the hammock, but that leaves me with two questions.

Obviously I can't very well bring my bed sheets, and since I've been told sleeping bags don't work, I'm wondering what other compact alternatives are available.
    Actually sleeping bags can work just fine, depending on the bag. Unzip and use as a quilt.

Has anyone looked into using a rectangular sleeping bag liner, a bivvy sack, or just rolling up a wool blanket?
    Yep. What makes these tricky is getting in and out of them, while in the hammock, without a zipper. Can be done, and when you've mastered the art you can join Shug's wife's troupe as an acrobat

A wool blanket should be fine if you don't mind carrying it. Changes are that your feet will work themselves out from under it though. My preferred coverings have a pocket I stick my feet in (as you might with a partially unzipped sleeping bag), and then drape over the rest of me.

Also, do you guys use a ground tarp beneath your hammock? [/B]
    I do. Makes for a dry place to park various sacks and to step on when I'm getting in and out of the hammock.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web

Sleeping bags work fine, but they aren't quite as slick as a top quilt.

Hangers have had success with all three. It just depends on the temperature and how much weight you are willing to carry.

Also, do you guys use a ground tarp beneath your hammock?
    I stand on a sit pad, others use tarps, ponchos, trash-compactor bags, etc...

My backpack has a place for my boots, so I was thinking of taking them off when I'm in the hammock.
    Don't wear boot in your hammock. All the dirt comes out of the tread and migrates right down to your but . Don't have anything sharp on you that could damage the hammock either.

I've been looking at sleeping bag liners at Rei, backcountry, and toasty liner
    http://www.rei.com/category/4500057/...ing+Bag+Liners

http://www.backcountry.com/sleeping-bag-liners

http://www.toastyliner.com/catalog/3

What do you guys use?
    I have a Jacks(JRB) are better mount Washington 3 Convertible for use as an under quilt and some good JRB top quilts. I also use a Therm-a-rest pad when it gets near 0F.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    When its real warm out I use my trusty military poncho liner. I also have synthetic and down sleeping bags that I use depending on the weather as top quilts. I leave the sleeping bags partially zipped for a foot box.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

toasty liner has a zipper for ventilation. Has anyone bought one of these? What about this http://wiggys.com/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=197 a zippered poncho liner?

I'm trying to provide significant insulation for 30 degrees. However, I'm also looking for something comfortable and compact. I was hoping to carry the hammock, some sort of under hammock insulation (pad, underquilt, hammock sock) and some sort of compact sleep system. At first I was thinking that an adventure medical thermo lite bivvy would do the trick, but when looking at it, I got the impression that it would be noisy and perhaps not as comfortable as I'd hoped. Is there something better that I can pack down to a similar or slightly larger size?
    Last edited by Paladin03; 02-03-2011 at 03:41.

Senior Member Cold Butt Stephen's Avatar
    Hammock
    SL 1.1 oz DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Hex
    Insulation
    Frankenpad
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    toasty liner has a zipper for ventilation. Has anyone bought one of these? What about this http://wiggys.com/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=197 a zippered poncho liner?

I'm trying to provide significant insulation for 30 degrees. However, I'm also looking for something comfortable and compact. I was hoping to carry the hammock, some sort of under hammock insulation (pad, underquilt, hammock sock) and some sort of compact sleep system. At first I was thinking that an adventure medical thermo lite bivvy would do the trick, but when looking at it, I got the impression that it would be noisy and perhaps not as comfortable as I'd hoped. Is there something better that I can pack down to a similar or slightly larger size?
    I think that topquilts are the ideal way to go. You can find ones designed or hammocks at hammockgear.com, warbonnet's site, Arrow Head equipment, and other places. The fact is, sleeping bags do work. I use one in the hammock, and I just use it like a normal sleeping bag i I were on the ground. I will say that it does take a lot more finagling to get in it and can be a pain, but i you already have a bag (which I'm guessing you do) and want to save the money then go for that. You will still need other insulation beneath you, though, because the insulation of your bag will be compressed where you're laying on it.

Pads are good for price and weight.
    Underquilts are supposedly far more comfortable and allow for more movement.

NOTE**** If you use a pad, it will either need to be real wide or you'll have to add something so it covers all of your shoulders in the hammock.
    ------------------------------------------------------

CBS (Cold Butt Stephen)

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DOUBLE
    Tarp
    WB SUPERFLY
    Insulation
    IN SEARCH OF!
    Suspension
    tree huggers
    Images
    Hey Bro,
    Glad to see you over here! These guys are the experts and can help you a ton!
    They have me!
    Oh and by the way this is another place to make your wallet ultralight!!!
    Tony a.k.a. bugman0914

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    It was 15 below in my little hollow of Misty Woods (always loved the name of my sub-division) but I was warm and comfortable with just my insulated blanket. I tend to stay in the same place after I lay down in the Hammock and have only found the feet outside the blanket once, but I imagine it could be very irritating to wake up with a fully blue foot so if you use one, maybe sew a foot box into it.

15 below and only a blanket you say? Heck ya! I was in my bedroom of course!

And like others have said, take them boots off before getting in, maybe even have hammock slippers for extra insulation when you take the boots off. I need to monitor the temperature in my room as I keep it cooler then the rest of the house. Hammocks do sleep cooler then beds, I need to find the point at where I'll need a pad. Warm summer nights I'm going to be good to go. But it might be a different story if the temps drop into the upper 60's or even the 50's like it did the last flying campout I went too.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Black Cat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Webbing
    i have not had a chance to get out to do my first hang since i am a noob, but my plan was to use my mummy bag and a blue wally world pad.
    Hops

Images
    Don't let anyone tell you you can't use your sleeping bag in your hammock. Just try it for yourself and see if you like it. There are plenty of people using bags, and plenty using quilts, and the arguments between the two just show that both work and you need to find out for yourself. I've used a sleeping bag in my hammock for years comfortably when it's cold. When it's warmer out, I'll just throw a fleece blanket over top. The wool blanket idea will work, but I agree with MrClean that it might be a bit easier if you could snap/tie/sew the bottom a bit to make a sort of footbox. It just helps so you don't lose your blanket. Good luck, and enjoy your hammock in the great outdoors!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast