Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images

Testimonial: Shamu w/ end channels

Received this kind note today with permission to post it. Herb sent me his Shamu IX UQ for the end channel mod, and since I had a brand new one, I replaced it instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Edbeteze

I used the brand new Shamu you sent to me (I thought it looked slightly different) at the Colorado hang.

The Shamu performed admirably once I got the "hang" of suspending it. I found that pulling it really tight and closing up the ends with the end channel cords really made a difference in warmth. I noticed easily a 10*F difference warmer from the previous times I used it. With new one, I tried it in the backyard at high 30sF and was comfortable. With the insert (for 3 IX layers), I was comfortable in the low-30's and probably could have gone lower. All of this without a topquilt or tarp!

In Colorado, I hung the Shamu under the Blackbird first, with an extra IX insert, and then hung my Phoenix Winter UQ under it. I was very warm (finally understand the meaning of "toasty") down to 15*F -- the lowest temps we got that weekend. I know this combination can get me down to the single digits, and I may try the combo Weds. night in the backyard when we are scheduled to go below 0*F.

I can't thank you enough for sticking with the various mods and coming up with one that really, for me anyway, makes the Shamu an ideal 3-season UQ-- and all for only 10-12 ozs! Thanks again!
    Note: Remember that IX UQs really ought to go directly under the hammock, as Herb did at the Colorado Hang, when used in conjunction with a down UQ. That way, you will avoid getting condensation in the down. You can use IX outside everything, but be sure to include a vapor barrier right under the hammock. For instance, when I use an IX Hammock Sock, I make sure my Baby Orca is right under the hammock, and if I use a down UQ, it goes between the sock and the Orca.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Images
    That's a great testimony! Really peaks my interest more towards the IX UQs.

I've never seen a pic of one packed up MacEntyre, could you post one? I've been getting really interested in your UQ's since learning about vapor barriers. Am going to get a Winter Crows Nest but would love to augment the warm for extreme cold with one of your UQ's, but I don't know how bulky it is. Pic?

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    I have a full length UQ of IX that is a DIY. Draws up nice and tight around my Claytor making a good seal. Two layers of IX between two layers of 1.1 oz. ripstop that is breathable. Was just given a gift of a 3 season Phoenix and put the Phoenix over the IX and it was a great combination. I used my 2 layer IX TQ as a sock over top. I had a campmor down bag rated to 0 as a TQ. I was toasty warm. I did not need an additional pad for my feet. I went down to 10 with this. With a sheet of warm window between the layers of my Claytor, I took it down to -6.

I think IX is great as a first layer because of its ability to block moisture and retain heat. I also think it works great as a sock or for additional weather protection.

I agree with MacEntyre that it works better inside down. That Phoenix with the IX just radiated warmth back to me. I was truly toasty.

I also had good base layers on and foam boot inserts on my feet. I love being comfortable outside when it is cold.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Quote Originally Posted by canoebie View Post
    I love being comfortable outside when it is cold.
    That's what I'm screamin'. Half thepoint of venturing outdoors in conquering the elements and the only way you know you conquered them is if you're comfortable

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Slo View Post
    I've never seen a pic of one packed up ... I don't know how bulky it is. Pic?
    This thread has a comparison of IX and down, pack in stuff sacks.

The Molly Mac Gear IX UQs pack to about a liter, maybe a little more.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Anyone have a close-up photo of the end channel mod?

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sandpiper View Post
    Anyone have a close-up photo of the end channel mod?
    In this post, I uploaded two pictures of the very Shamu that I sent to Herb!
    - MacEntyre
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Thanks MacEntyre, I picked up a FL MMG IX UQ recently and I am planning to add a liner to outside and thought I would incorporate the end channels at the same time. I just wasn't sure if they were unique in any way. I also remember reading about draft tubes as well...but it looks like they are standard channels for shock cord. Thanks again.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sandpiper View Post
    ...planning to add a liner to outside and thought I would incorporate the end channels at the same time.
    Good idea!

When you cut the nylon for the outside cover, make sure it is about 1" wider than the IX UQ, after you dart and hem it. That way, it will be differentially cut, and will add an air gap outside the IX.
    - MacEntyre
    www.MollyMacGear.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast