View Poll Results: how low can you go ( or think you can go) with a 1" CCF pad?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • 35*

1 2.44%
  • 30*

6 14.63%
  • 25*

4 9.76%
  • 20*

7 17.07%
  • 15*

8 19.51%
  • 10*

5 12.20%
  • 5*

2 4.88%
  • 0* or lower

8 19.51%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Quilts + Body Fat
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Then I must be a warm sleeper.. actually I'm warm in general, I keep the apartment at 58 degrees year round and wear shorts down to around 15 degrees.

- JT

Images
    Tobit, I see you are in Manchester, NH. Our daughter lives in Bedford. If it was time to come up for a visit, I could bring up some gear and we could camp. Or at least you could check some gear out. We usually come up once or twice a year. But, I'd have to come loaded for bear this time of year in NH! c-c-c-c-c-cold!

Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Quilts + Body Fat
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Tobit, I see you are in Manchester, NH. Our daughter lives in Bedford. If it was time to come up for a visit, I could bring up some gear and we could camp. Or at least you could check some gear out. We usually come up once or twice a year. But, I'd have to come loaded for bear this time of year in NH! c-c-c-c-c-cold!
    Next time you're up this way, give me a heads up.. we'll do a hang someplace.. even if it's at a state park. I'm going to do my first hang at Monadnock State Park in March.

- JT

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobit View Post
    Then I must be a warm sleeper.. actually I'm warm in general, I keep the apartment at 58 degrees year round and wear shorts down to around 15 degrees.

- JT
    Yep. You may be another Neo!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobit View Post
    Next time you're up this way, give me a heads up.. we'll do a hang someplace.. even if it's at a state park. I'm going to do my first hang at Monadnock State Park in March.

- JT
    Sounds like a plan!

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    A warm sleeper is one who tends to need less insulation to stay warm at a certain temp. than an "average" sleeper.

A 1" pad is kinda thick and I think it depends a lot on what type of material the CCF pad is made of. I have been to right at, or just below, 30* with a $7 WM blue CCF pad. It's what, 3/8" thick? My GG thinlight pad tends to feel warmer, and reflect heat back better than my WM pad, and it's only 1/4" thick, but I have never used the GG pad by itself so it may be my imagination.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    I went to 17.7* with 7/8" of CCF, so I think 1" would get me down to 10* or so, but I voted for 15* because I tend to sleep warm.
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

Images
    OK, I'm impressed, with 3 folks so far ( 50% so far ) voting for 0° or lower. I didn't think there would be that many. I should have had additional options below 0°. I figured most would be between 15° and 20°.

My Walmart blue pad measures awfully close to 1/2", to the point I would tend to call it 1/2". But they may vary.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 01-15-2008 at 00:56.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    homemade
    Insulation
    GG ThinLight
    Suspension
    rings and webbing
    Images
    I voted for 25*, then realized it was 1" thick, not the standard "close-to-1/2" walmart CCF pad. I am comfy into the 20's with just that and no other insulation.

Pad thickness comparisons are gonna be kind of misleading without similar comparisons of the rest of the sleep system, e.g., if one sleeps in cotton underwear and another sleeps in insulated clothing there will probably be different results from the same pad thickness. Then of course there's the issue of different pad materials; starting with open cell vs. closed cell...

Still, the point of comparing pad thicknesses is probably to determine at what temp one feels cold coming through (the bottom). During a backyard experiment, my 3/8"X40"X60"/7oz pad got me close to 20°...at 22° I felt 'cold' underneath my shoulders. I was wearing a wool baselayer and an insulated jacket...there was nothing else between my shoulders and the pad. The cold was enough to make be bail to the warmer, friendlier bedroom but there's no doubt in my mind that had I doubled over that 7oz pad it would have been good to the sub-teens or lower. Had I been on the trail I would have just put my blue foam sit pad under my shoulders and everything would have been comfy.

I always take the 7oz pad with my hammock and usually have the 1 1/2oz sit pad with me. That half pound of foam will keep me comfortable in the hammock well under 20°. I've never not used a pad in a hammock so I don't know how the comfort level between pad and no-pad works out. I only know that my hammock and pad as given me the most comfortable nights on the trail I've ever had...

FB

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast