Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Hi Guys,

One final note, here I backpack it all, but when I used to canoe trip we'd just wrap everything up and stick it in a dry bag. How you guys generally do it for these kinds of trips?
    Hey ofsjason,

I have a 65L internal frame hiking pack for summer excursions and my absurdly massive 132 Ostrum Wabikimi that I use as my primary tripping bag, especially in the spring and fall. We wind up doing some long portages and I really like how the Wabikimi rides on my back.

I also have a 115L Boundary Guide drybag, but I find the boundary bag quite uncomfortable when loaded with all of my early/late season solo gear.

As for waterproofing, I do the old "double stuff" with my down gear and clothes; stuff them into a stuffsack, compress it with straps or spare rope, place into a heavy duty garbage bag and then drop into a slightly larger stuffsack to protect the plastic. Overkill? Perhaps. Damp gear? NEVER!!!

Large ziploc bags work wonders as well and I've been bringing a small tupperware container to guard my electronics from water and bumps.

As for the relaxing canoe in versus paddling/portaging, I'm going to try to balance the two. If we do Tom Thomson, then there's no worry about gear; one simple flat portage and a liftover. Other destinations might be a bit more "interesting". We'll see how things shape up.

Chardpp
    Last edited by Chard; 02-27-2011 at 21:39.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    OES Sil MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY Karo TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chardpp View Post
    Wait, BOTH of those packs are yours??!?!

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Wait, BOTH of those packs are yours??!?!

Goodness me no!!!

Silly fellow. After all, who's holding the camera?

Mine's the big one with the axe and the blue foam pad stuck into the white bungees.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    OES Sil MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY Karo TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chardpp View Post

Goodness me no!!!

Silly fellow. After all, who's holding the camera?

Mine's the big one with the axe and the blue foam pad stuck into the white bungees.
    Good point...

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.7 Double Layer
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Incubator+Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    So far I've actually managed to get by pretty cheap with a fairly weatherproof bag (safe against pretty much anything short of submersion) and have been using a Swiss Rubberized Mountain Rucksack, got it from a military surplus store for 20.00

http://www.armysurpluswarehouse.com/...rized-3894.cfm

Great bag, sadly the front pocket shown wasn't what they sent me and I have two smaller pockets, but still a fantastic pack!

With all the Tarps that are going to be on board it seems like on a windy enough day we lash both sides of a tarp to canoe paddles, hold them up like a sail and ride it out. I've done it before with cheap ground sheets and tape that proved to be too flimsy, but good tarps with real cord should work no problem
    Last edited by ofsjason; 02-28-2011 at 17:39.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    OES Regular
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    HH Tree Huggers
    hey guys!

im down if i can get the time off from work, which shouldnt be to much of a problem since its the week before may 2-4.

also if i can convince my wife to let me go

and if anyone can tell me what else i can use other than an UQ. it looked like i had my sights on one (thanks brian) but i cant spend over $200.

hope to see you soon!

(fyi, i have would consider myself intermediate level canoeist)
    Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing

Yeah,Hope you can work something out at your work and have good result. Let us know how the hammock works out.Wow,everything will be cool.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Hey ontariohanger, welcome aboard!!

Good luck with the Missus. Word of advice - go all out on Mother's Day the weekend before!!!

For alternates to an underquilt, check out some of Shug's videos, particularly the Hammock How-To series.

Thermarests are a pretty good way to go, but make sure you have coverage on the sides, shoulders, hips and legs. I was getting cold there when I'd come in contact with the sides of the hammock, through my compressed down bag. Not fun, but adding wings of some sort will resolve the issue.

You could even jury-rig an old sleeping bag into a perfectly serviceable underquilt, possibly even pea-pod fashion and get away with it. Rectangular or mummy, there's a config that could work for you.

Then again, you might consider making your own underquilt. I put-together my own 4-season underquilt "The Furnace" with a little patience, a sewing machine and the wealth of DIY info on this site.

As you probably know, early May can go either way as far as nighttime temperatures go. Be prepared for a bit below freezing and hope for warmth.

Anyways, I'm sure if you do a search of the forum you'll find an answer, but failing that, post a thread and see where that takes you!

Finally, I've had a chance to see several of the underquilts sold by some of our more enterprising forum members and I have been extremely impressed with the quality of workmanship, materials and care that go into them. A quality down underquilt, taken care of properly, is a lifetime investment that will more than pay for itself with years of good service.

Cheers

Chardpp

Hammock
    DIY Lazy Ryvr Bridge, Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Hard Rock Shelter
    Insulation
    DIY Karo UQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Images
    So with a bit of grovelling and owing some favors I'm sure I will regret down the road. Odd Duck and I will be able to do Sat and Sunday nights. Hope you dont mind the company Otter.

Does anyone know off hand what the canoe selection is like at the Portage Store or can recommend a Swift outfitter near the access point.

Can hardly wait, in my head I'm already gone lol
    When you discard arrogance, complexity, and a few other things that get in the way, sooner or later you will discover that simple, childlike, and mysterious secret known to those of the Uncarved Block: Life is Fun.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Hey Ryvr,

You can check out a couple of places we've used over the years. This early in the season, there's little problem getting a nice canoe. Depending on trip, I wouldn't even bother with the ultra-lights as we might not be portaging far.

The Portage Store right on Canoe Lake but a little more expensive.

or

Algonquin Outfitters on Hwy 60 just outside of the Park but a little cheaper.

Trip planning is a wonderful way to pass the time.

I know that on previous hangs, it's every man for himself when it comes to meals, but what do you guys think about trying to have at least one large common meal like steaks & instant potatoes, stew, spaghetti, or whatever. As long as it isn't a repeat of my curried goat and rice!!! (Sorry entropy, so very sorry!!!) A massive pancake feast would also be fun.

If we can convince [o]TTer to bring his awesome tripod, we could even get a cauldron of goulash going!!! I'd hump a bag of taters over a portage or two for that!!! Once, years ago in the Caribbean, I walked for a whole morning with a slaughtered goat in a garbage bag in my backpack so we could make a huge pot of stew to feed a bunch of volunteers restoring a eco-tourism trail. Now that's trail food old school!!!

Chardpp
    Last edited by Chard; 03-02-2011 at 18:14.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast