Page 33 of 35 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 LastLast
    Hammock
    One that has a roof
    Tarp
    strong and sturdy
    Images
    The Park Station is at Canoe Lake (Portage Store) down by the beach area. I believe they will be open (I think they opened last weekend). There are two parking lots - you will want to park your car over by the Park Station - not in the Portage Store paved parking lot. You can of course park and unload your gear in the parking lot near to the store.

Hammock
    One that has a roof
    Tarp
    strong and sturdy
    Images
    For those of you who have never canoed out of Canoe Lake up to Tom Thomson - you will paddle underneath a bridge right after the first little portage (250m) there is a tradition dating back to 1940 - whenever you paddle under the bridge you raise your paddle - and lightly tap the underneath of the bridge - you do this going into your trip and then when you come back out. Its Tradition -feel free to participate in the tradition :-) My family has been doing that since 1940 (my mom NOT me - I wasnt born then! - I've been doing that since 1970 :-))

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    OES Sil MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY Karo TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Danalex has informed me that he's not going to be able to make it due to vehicle problems.

He was supposed to be in a boat with Kasuko and was bringing the canoe. So, we need to do a little bit of shuffling. Would any of those who were planning on floating solo care to double up? Anyone have a big enough canoe for three?

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Hey Gang...

So this is the roster as I see it now. If I've left anybody out, or anybody needs to cancel, please advise asap. The only reason I was to finalize this is because we don't what to leave anybody arriving a little late back at the docks without a way of getting to Tom Thomson.

In Park
    1. [o]TTer/Deadeye: In park on Thursday, will meet us at TomT Friday midday.

Friday Morning Rendevous At Canoe Lake ( 9am meet, on the water by 10am TomT by 1am)
    1. Bcaron: Currently in park, will meet us at Canoe lake 9am Friday Morning
    2. Chardpp: Driving up from Toronto Friday morning: ETA Canoe Lake 9am
    3. Brianwillan/Entropy: Driving up from Oshawa Friday morning: ETA Canoe Lake 9am
    4. Dant8ro/Brantwing: Driving up from Brantford Friday morning: ETA Canoe Lake 9am
    5. Jiblets: Driving up from Toronto Friday morning: ETA Canoe Lake 9am
    6. Kasuko: Driving up from Ottawa Friday morning: ETA Canoe Lake 9am
    7. Shawnh & Family: Driving up from Ottawa Friday morning: ETA Canoe Lake 9am or Later (Call Fri morning with ETA)
    8. Distortedaxis: Status Unknown

Saturday Morning At Canoe Lake ( Come as you will, but it might be a good idea to go up as a team)
    1. Ryvr/Odd_Duck: Driving up from Brantford Saturday morning with fixing for the group breakfast Sunday morning.

Other details:
    1. As far as food goes, I'll be happy to pick up the beef and paprika for the goulash and cook up 2 packs of bacon for Sat breakfast. Look to the lists please..
    2. Kasuko, I found my spare rain jacket so you're covered (so to speak).
    3. We have 8 people planning to come up; 2 solos and 3 pairs. I'd still prefer to solo, but if there's a problem and we can't rent a triple at Canoe lake then I'll double up.

The weather looks encouraging!!!

Cheers,
    Last edited by Chard; 05-11-2011 at 12:47.
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    OES Sil MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY Karo TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chardpp View Post
    Well, the forcast went from mostly sunny to mostly cloudy since yesterday. At least so far as the "algonquin park" forcast goes. Hard to know where in the park that represents...

However, I dont think this proves anything except that weathermen are quacks...

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    OES Sil MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY Karo TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chardpp View Post
    Hey Gang...

So this is the roster as I see it now. If I've left anybody out, or anybody needs to cancel, please advise asap. The only reason I was to finalize this is because we don't what to leave anybody arriving a little late back at the docks without a way of getting to Tom Thomson.

In Park
    1. [o]TTer/Deadeye: In park on Thursday, will meet us at TomT Friday midday.

Friday Morning Rendevous At Canoe Lake ( 9am meet, on the water by 10am TomT by 1am)
    1. Bcaron: Currently in park, will meet us at Canoe lake 9am Friday Morning
    2. Chardpp: Driving up from Toronto Friday morning: ETA Canoe Lake 9am
    3. Brianwillan/Entropy: Driving up from Oshawa Friday morning: ETA Canoe Lake 9am
    4. Dant8ro/Brantwing: Driving up from Brantford Friday morning: ETA Canoe Lake 9am
    5. Jiblets: Driving up from Toronto Friday morning: ETA Canoe Lake 9am
    6. Kasuko: Driving up from Ottawa Friday morning: ETA Canoe Lake 9am
    7. Distortedaxis: Status Unknown

Saturday Morning At Canoe Lake ( Come as you will, but it might be a good idea to go up as a team)
    1. Ryvr/Odd_Duck: Driving up from Brantford Saturday morning with fixing for the group breakfast Sunday morning.
    2. Shawnh & Family: Driving up from Ottawa Saturday morning

Other details:
    1. As far as food goes, I'll be happy to pick up the beef and paprika for the goulash and cook up 2 packs of bacon for Sat breakfast. Look to the lists please..
    2. Kasuko, I found my spare rain jacket so you're covered (so to speak).
    3. We have 8 people planning to come up; 2 solos and 3 pairs. I'd still prefer to solo, but if there's a problem and we can't rent a triple at Canoe lake then I'll double up.

The weather looks encouraging!!!

Cheers,
    If I recall correctly BrianWillan doesnt have much paddling experience, and neither do I. So, it would be best if we shuffle a little, at least on the way in. I'm fairly confident that after a couple of days in a canoe I'll be able to steer a straight line on the way out.

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Stock Cinche
    Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Danalex has informed me that he's not going to be able to make it due to vehicle problems.

He was supposed to be in a boat with Kasuko and was bringing the canoe. So, we need to do a little bit of shuffling. Would any of those who were planning on floating solo care to double up? Anyone have a big enough canoe for three?
    If I recall correctly BrianWillan doesnt have much paddling experience, and neither do I. So, it would be best if we shuffle a little, at least on the way in. I'm fairly confident that after a couple of days in a canoe I'll be able to steer a straight line on the way out.
    I agree, remember I have never canoed (is that right?) before, except maybe goofing around at camp.
    I like metric, I use metric, for those of you who don't ... you should, for those of you who won't ... here.
    0*C - 32*F, 10*C - 50*F, 20*C - 68*F, 30*C - 86*F
    100g - 3.52oz, 500g - 17.63oz, 1kg - 2.2lbs, 16oz - 1lbs
    10cm - 3.9", 1m - 3.28ft, 1km - 0.62mi

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    OES Sil MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY Karo TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasuko View Post
    I agree, remember I have never canoed (is that right?) before, except maybe goofing around at camp.
    No worries. We'll get you there if we have to tow you on an innertube

Anyone want to volunteer to educate all of us paddling newbs on strokes and whatnot?

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Stock Cinche
    No worries. We'll get you there if we have to tow you on an innertube
    Would I have to paddle?
    I like metric, I use metric, for those of you who don't ... you should, for those of you who won't ... here.
    0*C - 32*F, 10*C - 50*F, 20*C - 68*F, 30*C - 86*F
    100g - 3.52oz, 500g - 17.63oz, 1kg - 2.2lbs, 16oz - 1lbs
    10cm - 3.9", 1m - 3.28ft, 1km - 0.62mi

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    That's kind of the reason why early on that I was trying to team up veteran and novice paddlers.

Of the 8 guys coming up Friday morning, I think five are experienced paddlers, so hopefully we can come to some arrangement, one way or another.

Safety first!!
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

• + New Posts
  • Page 33 of 35 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 LastLast